1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But that is only because your beliefs do not require you to. It is not that you wouldn't fight for your beliefs if they so required.
    Of course not. No fight is necessary.

If you want to fight for your beliefs, then you would have done so already. And died in the process. You are still here, which proves my point.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    ...if you believe that something will lead to bondage of some kind, or worse, I would think you would fight against it at all cost...
    Well, let's not be too hasty now.... 😉
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You mean chess? This is a game, for crying out loud. For fun! It doesn't make anyone a fundamentalist? Are you joking?
    When did I mention chess? I am discussing our world views we debate on the forums.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:03
    When did I mention chess? I am discussing our world views we debate on the forums.
    You wrote "You fight on these boards do you not?", and the only board I fight on is chess. What else did you mean?

Be clearer.

I don't fight. I don't need to. It's not in my nature to fight. And what has this to do with fundamentalism?
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:51
    You wrote "You fight on these boards do you not?", and the only board I fight on is chess. What else did you mean?

Be clearer.

I don't fight. I don't need to. It's not in my nature to fight. And what has this to do with fundamentalism?
    When I was appointed to a pretty difficult and contentious position, I recall my Chief Executive lecturing our Board to the effect that having appointed me, they must now "back me or sack me." I responded quickly by saying - "Maybe that's a bit hasty. I'll tell you what I suggest, you tell me what you think and I'll do what you think." So I did that they appointed me to do and they got so mad (because it worked) that they sacked me anyway.

Moral? Nobody sensible sets out to die for their beliefs, but lots of stupid people will kill you for them anyway.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 00:421 edit

Be clearer.

You are fighting now. You are trying to label people a dirty word and that dirty word is a "fundamentalist". Then to drive home your point, you say that these fundamentalists are willing to blow themselves up for what they believe.

As for myself, I consider myself a fundamentalist. I would also say that there are "beliefs" for which I would die. For example, lets say that the prophesy in Revelation was resalized today and people were forced to either take the mark or die. I would gladly die. Of course, it seems you try to paint such fundamentalism as being on par with those who send their children out in the public streets of Israel to blow themselves up to see how many people they can kill. I hardly see them as comparable and I resent the implication that my fundamentalism escapes both reason and morality that we often see in the Middle East.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 04:44
    You are fighting now. You are trying to label people a dirty word and that dirty word is a "fundamentalist". Then to drive home your point, you say that these fundamentalists are willing to blow themselves up for what they believe.

As for myself, I consider myself a fundamentalist. I would also say that there are "beliefs" for which I would die. For ex ...[text shortened]... hat my fundamentalism escapes both reason and morality that we often see in the Middle East.
    I am not fighting you, not at all. You can have any opinion you want. Please do.
    If I wanted a world with only one opinion, mine, then I would be a fundamentalist. I'm not.

In your second paragraph you say you are a suicidal fundamentalist. Okay.
    If that is what you are, then you are like that. So be it.

I don't say fundamentalists per se are terrorists.
    I say that without fundamentalists there would be any base for recruitments.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 07:13
    I am not fighting you, not at all. You can have any opinion you want. Please do.
    If I wanted a world with only one opinion, mine, then I would be a fundamentalist. I'm not.
    I thought we agreed that we should define fundamentalism. Can you define what you mean by it. The normal definition has nothing to do with forcing your opinion on others.

Dieing or killing for your beliefs does not necessarily entail forcing your beliefs on others either. Most Muslim terrorists believe they are taking revenge, or deterring future acts of violence. At its most basic, their actions are little different from that of a soldiers.
    One could also argue that since some Americans supported the Iraq war, those Americans supported killing for their beliefs (whatever those might have been). Whether they held the guns themselves or not is irrelevant. They may have seen it as self protection, liberation of others, or cheap oil, but there was no doubt from the outset that killing would be necessary.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:35
    If we just could get rid of the fundamentalism of any religion - muslim fundamentalism, jewish fundamentalism and (you guessed right) christian fundamentalism - the world would be a better place to live in.

It's not about religion, it's about fundamentalism.
    There is a major difference in the various fundamentalists. If you tell a Mormon fundy, or Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc that his belief is whacked and that Jesus isn't God, they'll shrug their shoulders and move on---they might even say something like "you'll go to hell..."

Whereas your basic Muzz fundy will cut off your head.

Think on these things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree