1. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 04:03
    Is it a trivialization to say it was the least thing and yet the most consequential thing the evil one did to a put a misrepresentation in our thought? Because all sin is disobedience but in effect it was our disobedience that was put to test.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 08:48
    @of-ants-and-imps said
    Is it a trivialization to say it was the least thing and yet the most consequential thing the evil one did to a put a misrepresentation in our thought? Because all sin is disobedience but in effect it was our disobedience that was put to test.
    Who said that, and in what context?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 11:48
    @of-ants-and-imps said
    The first temptation didn't come when fully formed humans ate a piece of forbidden fruit, but when one microscopic organism stole another microscopic organism's place on a rock.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 12:15
    @of-ants-and-imps said
    All sin is an abuse of good, when they sinned it started within their hearts, leading to the rejection of God being good in their thoughts. They believed they could be more without His direction and guiding them in the world He just created.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 12:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The first temptation didn't come when fully formed humans ate a piece of forbidden fruit, but when one microscopic organism stole another microscopic organism's place on a rock.
    Your first temptation has stealing and ownership of spots by microscopic organisms, exactly when did they acquire such notions?
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 13:52
    @of-ants-and-imps said
    yes it is
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 16:03
    @of-ants-and-imps said
    The first temptation was to have put a snake in the Garden.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 17:08
    @kellyjay said
    Your first temptation has stealing and ownership of spots by microscopic organisms, exactly when did they acquire such notions?
    Humour alert.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 18:01
    @moonbus said
    The first temptation was to have put a snake in the Garden.
    Exactly how is that a temptation, it isn't until a desire to do contrary to good shows up that one is being tempted to do wrong.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 18:04
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Humour alert.
    Thought so, but then you did argue for the rise of morals through nothing but material processes once before. I heard it said today in a way I've never thought of before concerning that, the equivalent to that would be like writing Microsoft operating systems by simply manipulating wires and components alone.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 19:15
    @kellyjay said
    Thought so, but then you did argue for the rise of morals through nothing but material processes once before. I heard it said today in a way I've never thought of before concerning that, the equivalent to that would be like writing Microsoft operating systems by simply manipulating wires and components alone.
    Not sure what you are going on about. We survived and progressed as a species due to our ability to cooperate and work together. This was the basis for our shared morality. (Obviously). You don't kill me or steal my club and I won't kill you or steal your club. etc etc.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 22:21
    @kellyjay said
    Exactly how is that a temptation, it isn't until a desire to do contrary to good shows up that one is being tempted to do wrong.
    God could have made a Garden without a snake. It was contrary to good to have put a snake in the Garden. Moreover, it was there before Adam showed up.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 23:49
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Not sure what you are going on about. We survived and progressed as a species due to our ability to cooperate and work together. This was the basis for our shared morality. (Obviously). You don't kill me or steal my club and I won't kill you or steal your club. etc etc.
    You see, you still use words like progress, cooperation, and working together as if mindlessness could produce those things. You even throw in things like stealing as if that is something that is quantifiable in a mindless world where from the beginning as you believe it to be there was no mind at work.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '23 23:56
    @moonbus said
    God could have made a Garden without a snake. It was contrary to good to have put a snake in the Garden. Moreover, it was there before Adam showed up.
    Yes, He could have, but then why not? If only through a reality where choices have very real and permanent consequences could the truth about love and hate ever be understood. If He set up the universe where everyone was forced to obey, love could never be real, if in the universe where the threat of punishment was immediate and complete would love be real or just done to avoid bad consequences, but given the chance, bad things would be done.

We see a police officer along the side of the road we do the speed limit, not out of our desire to obey the law, but avoid the ticket. God's top two commandments are loving Him and each other, when we do these things bad things can still happen to us, but not because we caused them, which is not true if we are acting out of hate and greed.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '23 02:06
    The Abrahamic God figure, according to the Book of Genesis, engaged in evil beyond comprehension. "He" withheld information about the enormity of "his" intended revenge for disobedience over the "apple" ~ revenge that has been visited upon the 40,000,000,000 humans that have lived ever since ~ and so "he" made the notion and application of Adam & Eve 's free will meaningless. Whether the story is literally true or it's an allegory, regardless, the Abrahamic God's action in the Garden of Eden is the most grotesquely evil deed committed against humanity ever portrayed in any literature.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree