1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 14:09
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    My apologies. But if everyone believes in ABSOLUTE truth without deriving it from an absolute point of reference, how can it be ABSOLUTE? Everybody’s ABSOLUTE truth would be different, and thus truth would be relative.
    There is a room. It is locked. You can't get in. The lightbulb inside is either on or off. Maybe you can see a light through the crack at the bottom, or maybe you can't. You don't know for sure. Nor does anyone else. Some people say the bulb is on; some people say it isn't.

Now, can't you believe that, whatever people think, the bulb is either on or off, without believing that the bulb is off, or believing that the bulb is on?

Moral: You don't need to derive ultimate truth to believe that there is some ultimate truth.

Clear?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 19:232 edits
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    There is a room. It is locked. You can't get in. The lightbulb inside is either on or off. Maybe you can see a light through the crack at the bottom, or maybe you can't. You don't know for sure. Nor does anyone else. Some people say the bulb is on; some people say it isn't.

Now, can't you believe that, whatever people think, the bulb is either on on't need to derive ultimate truth to believe that there is some ultimate truth.

Clear?
    If you compare absolute truth to a lightbulb that is on, and you can't know for sure whether the light bulb is on, then how do you know for sure that your analogy is true?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 19:561 edit
    No. Value is subjective. Someone has to value me for me to have value. If no one values me, I lack value. If I had intrinsic value this would be impossible. Therefore I do not.

So why should someone value you if you have no intrinsic value?

In that context, I "come from" an evolutionary process acting on self replicating molecules - probab ue because the dictionary says so? Does the dictionary not define God as well?
    So meaning is derived from a definition? Does "God" then have meaning, because the word has a definition?

Meaning IS definition, it's not derived FROM definition. "What does X mean?" is equivalent to "What is the definition of X?" That's the only meaning of the word 'meaning' that I know of.

"God" has meaning because the word is defined, though that doesn't mean that God exists.

So it's true because the dictionary says so?

No. I didn't say that.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 20:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]So meaning is derived from a definition? Does "God" then have meaning, because the word has a definition?

Meaning IS definition, it's not derived FROM definition. "What does X mean?" is equivalent to "What is the definition of X?" That's the only meaning of the word 'meaning' that I know of.

"God" has meaning because the word is defined, ...[text shortened]...

So it's true because the dictionary says so?

No. I didn't say that.[/b]
    Maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 20:29
    On the basis of my study of who Christ claimed to be, and what he said when he answers these four questions of life, of origin, meaning, morality, and destiny, the logical consitency of his answers, the empirical adequacy by which you measure those answers, and the experiential relevance of his answers have convinced me that he is the way, the truth and the life.
    What does "empirical adequacy" mean?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 20:55
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    What does "empirical adequacy" mean?
    Empirical adequacy is concerned with the agreement between observation and the theoretical term used.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 20:58
    Empirical adequacy is concerned with the agreement between observation and the theoretical term used.
    Is you talkin bout something being true? You climbing up way way way too much in to yo head for us simple souls to undertand.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:01
    Maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life
    The question "what is the meaning of life?" means different things to different people. The vagueness of the query is inherent in the word "meaning", which opens the question to many interpretations...

That's not very helpful.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:11
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Is you talkin bout something being true? You climbing up way way way too much in to yo head for us simple souls to undertand.
    It is one of the tests used to determine truth.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:29
    The question "what is the meaning of life?" means different things to different people. The vagueness of the query is inherent in the word "meaning", which opens the question to many interpretations...

That's not very helpful.
    I guess it's meaningless to discuss the meaning of life with someone who thinks that the meaning of life is meaningless.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:36
    I guess it's meaningless to discuss the meaning of life with someone who thinks that the meaning of life is meaningless.
    Only if you insist on both parties knowing what the phrase means without explicitly defining it.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:51
    Only if you insist on both parties knowing what the phrase means without explicitly defining it.
    By 'meaing' of life, I mean:

What is the purpose of, or in, (one's) life?
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 22:20
    If you compare absolute truth to a lightbulb that is on, and you can't know for sure whether the light bulb is on, then how do you know for sure that your analogy is true?
    That question just make no sense. Analogies are not true or false; they are apt or inappropriate.

You're on your own, dj2becker!
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 02:49
    By 'meaing' of life, I mean:

What is the purpose of, or in, (one's) life?
    I don't think life has a purpose. That is, there is no answer to "what is the purpose OF life." Life just is. It doesn't exist for someone's purpose.

There are many purposes IN my life, but they all come down to one purpose (or two) I suppose; the maximization of my happiness and the minimization of my pain.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 10:11
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    That question just make no sense. Analogies are not true or false; they are apt or inappropriate.

You're on your own, dj2becker!
    I would gather that a 'false' analogy is inappropriate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree