1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:177 edits
    Richard Dawkins Interview, Newsnight Bookclub.

YouTube

Richard Dawkins: "I care passionately about the truth as a scientist and I do regard religion's claims about the universe as alternative scientific claims ..... "

If we would indeed do this we would certainly end up in a dead end street. Religious claims are not alternative scientific claims. This is nonsense.

Richard Dawkins: "..... so the the claim that the universe contains a god, contains a creative intelligence, is a scientific claim, ..... "

Which religion claims that "the universe contains a god" ? Certainly not the Christian religion. The Christian religion distinguishes between the creation and the Creator. They are separate entities. The creation does not "contain a god".

This is a very fundamental mistake by Dawkins, who claims he cares passionately about the truth. If he starts assuming this rubbish, then it is no wonder his conclusions are rubbish also.

Richard Dawkins: "God almost certainly doesn't exists"

Interviewer: "Do you leave open the possibility that he does ?"

Richard Dawkins: "Of course, any scientist would leave open this possibility."

... then how can he draw the scientific conclusion that belief in god is irrational ?

So far so good, ... oh well ..... but listen to what he has to say about Christian scientists and the nonsense he then starts to spout .... "compartimentalisation" ..... really .....

Interviewer: "You don't understand how they (Christian scientists, Ivan) can reconcile those two ways of being ...... (inaudible) .... "

Richard Dawkins: "No, I don't .... not really, no .... "

About the Bush constituents:

Richard Dawkins: "They long for nuclear war".

Really ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This man is not a scientist, this man is a political guru disguised as a scientist ..... and a bad one I must add ......
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:22
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnDdMRxMHY

[b]Richard Dawkins: "I care passionately about the truth as a scientist and I do regrad religion's claims about the universe as alternative scientific claims ..... "

If we would do this we would certainly end up in a dead end street. Religious claims are ...[text shortened]... guru disguised as a scientist ..... and a bad one I must add ......[/b]
    If a theologian takes a political stance, would he /she be a politician in disguise?
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:262 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    If a theologian takes a political stance, would he /she be a politician in disguise?
    Why don't you go to youtube and watch the interview first ?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:34
    Why don't you go to youtube and watch the interview first ?
    Truthfully I am out of town and I am having trouble with my mother's Mac. I hate that thing. Give me a few days to get back to my computer. If I get asked to participate wit James Brown's funeral, I may be a little longer than anticpated.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:35
    Truthfully I am out of town and I am having trouble with my mother's Mac. I hate that thing. Give me a few days to get back to my computer. If I get asked to participate wit James Brown's funeral, I may be a little longer than anticpated.
    Captain Kirk ... always clowning around .... never taking a stance.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:39
    Captain Kirk ... always clowning around .... never taking a stance.
    Dammit, Ivanhoe, I just told you I was having computer problems and asked for a little time. Stop acting like we is married and feeling all rejected. I'll get around to it.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:481 edit
    Dammit, Ivanhoe, I just told you I was having computer problems and asked for a little time. Stop acting like we is married and feeling all rejected. I'll get around to it.
    Sure, Kirk ....

... by the way, I didn't feel rejected .... maybe that was the feeling you were having ....
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnDdMRxMHY

[b]Richard Dawkins: "I care passionately about the truth as a scientist and I do regard religion's claims about the universe as alternative scientific claims ..... "

If we would indeed do this we would certainly end up in a dead end street. Religious clai ...[text shortened]... guru disguised as a scientist ..... and a bad one I must add ......[/b]
    What a load of crap you are spouting, again.

Religious claims are not alternative scientific claims.

Fine, get your lot to back off on evolution and the age of the earth then.

Which religion claims that "the universe contains a god" ? Certainly not the Christian religion.

Pedantry. By universe, Dawkins uses the common definition of the word, i.e. everything that exists.

then how can he draw the scientific conclusion that belief in god is irrational ?

Do you think it's irrational to believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden? The logic is identical.

You are no scientist Ivanhoe. Dawkins isn't perfect, he'll freely admit it, but at least he's not an out and out liar like your side.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:072 edits
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    What a load of crap you are spouting, again.

[b]Religious claims are not alternative scientific claims.

Fine, get your lot to back off on evolution and the age of the earth then.

Which religion claims that "the universe contains a god" ? Certainly not the Christian religion.

Pedantry. By universe, Dawkins uses the common definit perfect, he'll freely admit it, but at least he's not an out and out liar like your side.[/b]
    Scot: "Fine, get your lot to back off on evolution and the age of the earth then."

It seems you are confused. I accept evolution as a scientific theory and the question of the age of the earth I leave to scientists.

It seems Richard Dawkins is talking about a certain brand of religion, he is certainly not talking about the Roman-Catholic teachings. However, he seems to claim that his statements are valid for all kinds of religion.

Scot: "Dawkins isn't perfect, .... "

We agree on that one.

By the way, what or who is my "side" or my "lot"?
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:11
    [b]Scot: "Fine, get your lot to back off on evolution and the age of the earth then."

It seems you are confused. I accept evolution as a scientific theory and the question of the age of the earth I leave to scientists.

It seems Richard Dawkins is talking about a certain brand of religion, he is certainly not talking about the Roman-Catholic teachin ...[text shortened]... "[/b]

We agree on that one.

By the way, what or who is "my side" or my "lot"?[/b]
    "Your side" is the brand of fundamentalist christians that would have us all living in a theocracy. You accept evolution as a scientific theory? So you accept that man and apes shared a common ancestor?
  11. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:37
    Dawkins isn't perfect, he'll freely admit it
    Will he? I am having a lot of trouble reading his book because, even though I agree with his theories(as far as I have read them), I find that he comes off as so incredibly pompous, arrogant, and derogatory towards his readers that I want to throw the book across the room. He speaks in absolutes, and most certainly does not allow for the possibility that a theory other than his own could be correct.

I have to agree with the Christians that he is an "evangelical atheist", and while I don't disagree with his theories, I almost want to just because of my dislike for him. I don't think that his attitude will help him much in converting people to his way of thinking.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:431 edit
    You accept evolution as a scientific theory? So you accept that man and apes shared a common ancestor?
    Yes, Scotty.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:441 edit
    "Your side" is the brand of fundamentalist christians that would have us all living in a theocracy. You accept evolution as a scientific theory? So you accept that man and apes shared a common ancestor?
    Scot: "Your side" is the brand of fundamentalist christians that would have us all living in a theocracy.

I don't think so.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:52
    Scot: "Your side" is the brand of fundamentalist christians that would have us all living in a theocracy.

I don't think so.
    Ah, you see it starts at trying to outlaw abortion (you've already hinted you'd like to do that), but where doe it end???
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 03:53
    Originally posted by whiterose
    Will he? I am having a lot of trouble reading his book because, even though I agree with his theories(as far as I have read them), I find that he comes off as so incredibly pompous, arrogant, and derogatory towards his readers that I want to throw the book across the room. He speaks in absolutes, and most certainly does not allow for the possibility that a ...[text shortened]... on't think that his attitude will help him much in converting people to his way of thinking.
    He comes across that way, but the more you read of his stuff, the more you'll see him as a warm, personable guy, albeit with an axe to grind. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree