The God Delusion ........ an interview.

The God Delusion ........ an interview.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
He comes across that way, but the more you read of his stuff, the more you'll see him as a warm, personable guy, albeit with an axe to grind. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion though.
Passion and arrogance are two very different things. If you want to write a scientific book, you cannot do it effectively with an axe to grind. The whole point of science is to remain as objective as possible and consider all of the possibilities.

I am trying to read more of his stuff, as I actually find his theories very interesting. It's just that the arrogance is really getting to me. Maybe I should just get a marker and cross out all of the arrogant bits(just kidding, I wouldn't deface his book like that).

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Dec 06

Ah, you see it starts at trying to outlaw abortion (you've already hinted you'd like to do that), but where doe it end???
What would the world become if we would stop killing our unborn children ...... indeed a very menacing thought ...... where would this end ?

l

London

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
What would the world become if we would stop killing our unborn children ...... indeed a very menacing thought ...... where would this end ?
Also consider the alternative -- now that we're quite happily killing our unborn children, where does that end?

Actually, there isn't much to consider -- a good part of the "civilised" world is already there.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Also consider the alternative -- now that we're quite happily killing our unborn children, where does that end?

Actually, there isn't much to consider -- a good part of the "civilised" world is already there.
😴😴

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Dec 06
1 edit

It indeed seems that certain people see the wrong thing as menacing ... and the wrong thing as civilised.

I wonder what Richard Dawkins, the guru of the "rationals", thinks of this .....

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
😴😴
Wake up, marauder ... and go and watch this very intelligent interview with Richard D.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
28 Dec 06

And what's the next law change you propose? Perhaps prayer in school?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by whiterose
Will he? I am having a lot of trouble reading his book because, even though I agree with his theories(as far as I have read them), I find that he comes off as so incredibly pompous, arrogant, and derogatory towards his readers that I want to throw the book across the room. He speaks in absolutes, and most certainly does not allow for the possibility that a theory other than his own could be correct.
I have the same problem reading him.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Dec 06

And what's the next law change you propose? Perhaps prayer in school?
No, Scotty.

s

Moves
28 Dec 06

As opposed to killing people who dare to disagree with us? eh Mr Inquisitor? Tortured to death for disagreement, oh and if we could take your property and goods 'for the church' that'd be just fine. What? You wish to recant? Well recant then, and we'll kill you as soon as you have recanted, to prevent you 'being lost' again....

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
28 Dec 06

No, Scotty.
Does that go for those to the right of you too? Are you suggesting that no theist would wish for a theocratic society?

w

Moves
28 Dec 06

Who is killing unborn children? This is definitely illegal all the civilized contries I know of. Now killing an embryo, which does not in any physical way resemble a human child nor have the attributes thereof, now that is a different story.

w

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I have the same problem reading him.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Does it get better if you keep reading, or have you not managed to get very far in either?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Dec 06

Does that go for those to the right of you too? Are you suggesting that no theist would wish for a theocratic society?
I can only speak for myself. I advocate democracy and not theocracy.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Dec 06

Originally posted by whiterose
Who is killing unborn children? This is definitely illegal all the civilized contries I know of. Now killing an embryo, which does not in any physical way resemble a human child nor have the attributes thereof, now that is a different story.
Just dehumanise it, do not call it human, although it unmistakenly is, and there you go ... you can kill it.

This has nothing to do with civilisation but everything with manipulation and (self)deception.