1. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 22:57
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Just dehumanise it, do not call it human, although it unmistakenly is, and there you go ... you can kill it.

This has nothing to do with civilisation but everything with manipulation and (self)deception.
    I think you are the one who is practising self deception. Would you mistake one cell for a human child? I hope not. So tell me, how do you figure that it unmistakably is one?
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 22:571 edit
    Richard Dawkins describes 'GOD'

YouTube&mode=related&search=

Now I know where the parrot choir picked it up .......
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:00
    Originally posted by whiterose
    I think you are the one who is practising self deception. Would you mistake one cell for a human child? I hope not. So tell me, how do you figure that it unmistakably is one?
    I do not want to start an abortion debate in this thread, so I would rather not go into it .... but who knows who will join you if you initiate a new thread dealing with this issue.
  4. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:441 edit
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    As opposed to killing people who dare to disagree with us? eh Mr Inquisitor? Tortured to death for disagreement, oh and if we could take your property and goods 'for the church' that'd be just fine. What? You wish to recant? Well recant then, and we'll kill you as soon as you have recanted, to prevent you 'being lost' again....
    Get your facts straight. The death penalty was only imposed on the most recalcitrant and unrepentant of heretics -- and there too nearly half of them were "executed" in absentia (i.e. in effigy) because they could not be found. The vast majority of people convicted of heresy were given much lighter punishments (e.g. pilgrimages or banishment for a limited period).

Someone who recanted was never executed.

If you're going to spout diatribe, the least you can do is try and learn some real history (instead of myths).

EDIT: Oh, and no one was "tortured to death".
  5. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:46
    Originally posted by whiterose
    Who is killing unborn children? This is definitely illegal all the civilized contries I know of.
    Not in the US, apparently. Unless you're saying the US of A isn't a civilised country.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Get your facts straight. The death penalty was only imposed on the most recalcitrant and unrepentant of heretics -- and there too nearly half of them were "executed" in absentia (i.e. in effigy) because they could not be found. The vast majority of people convicted of heresy were given much lighter punishments (e.g. pilgrimages or banishment fo earn some real history (instead of myths).

I do beg your pardon. Only half of those found guilty of heresy were actually executed. (Thank goodness, no killing there then). And torture was never used to kill them (well never knowingly tortured to death), simply used to extract the confessions which were then used to impose the death sentence. Well that's all right then. We can go forth safe in the hands of the Inquisition. As long as you believe what they say you'll be OK.
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:17
    Get your facts straight....

Someone who recanted was never executed.

If you're going to spout diatribe, the least you can do is try and learn some real history (instead of myths).

If they repented, they would be strangled rather than burnt alive (which doesn't count as torture).

http://crf-usa.org/bria/bria9_1.htm

I think my friend you need to examine your eyesight, because it seems to be very rose tinted to me when you look in certain directions.
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:26
    Get your facts straight. The death penalty was only imposed on the most recalcitrant and unrepentant of heretics -- and there too nearly half of them were "executed" in absentia (i.e. in effigy) because they could not be found. The vast majority of people convicted of heresy were given much lighter punishments (e.g. pilgrimages or banishment fo ...[text shortened]... earn some real history (instead of myths).

I'm guessing you think that getting burnt at the stake wasnt painful.
  9. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:30
    How long will the sins of man go unpunished? How long will the vile and wicked find refuge in the darkness? I tell you the truth "man does commit sin because the penalty of such is not quickly executed."
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 05:51
    Why don't you go to youtube and watch the interview first ?
    As promised, I have watched it. Thanks for the link.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 10:55
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    As promised, I have watched it. Thanks for the link.
    ... and what are your findings ?
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 13:27
    ... and what are your findings ?
    I had a couple of reactions. He seemed like a gentleman. He was very careful to say several times ((and this may have been in another interview) that not all Christians or people of faith deny evolution. As I get ready for church today, I kept wondering if those interviews would be good material for young Christians to look at and struggle with. He keeps coming back to whether or not Christianity or religion accomplishes good things is besides the point. He believes God doesn't exist. He finds his purpose or meaning in other things.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 14:011 edit
    I had a couple of reactions. He seemed like a gentleman. He was very careful to say several times ((and this may have been in another interview) that not all Christians or people of faith deny evolution. As I get ready for church today, I kept wondering if those interviews would be good material for young Christians to look at and struggle with. He k ...[text shortened]... es the point. He believes God doesn't exist. He finds his purpose or meaning in other things.
    Kirk: " As I get ready for church today, I kept wondering if those interviews would be good material for young Christians to look at and struggle with."

Why would his interviews be good material for young Christians to look at and to struggle with ?
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 14:25
    Kirk: " As I get ready for church today, I kept wondering if those interviews would be good material for young Christians to look at and struggle with."

Why would his interviews be good material for young Christians to look at and to struggle with ?
    To get them to think. Young people today like simple answers. They don't want to struggle. They want to be around like-minded people.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 15:06
    To get them to think. Young people today like simple answers. They don't want to struggle. They want to be around like-minded people.
    So does that mean you like complex answers and being around people who are contrary to how you think and act? Wait a minute, you must, you post alot on these boards. Never mind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree