The God Delusion

The God Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Sep 06
2 edits

"Did our earliest ancestors gain some evolutionary advantage through their shared religious feelings?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1590899,00.html

"Many years ago, a team of researchers at the department of anthropology at the University of Minnesota decided to put this association to the test. They studied certain fringe religious groups, such as fundamentalist Baptists, Pentecostalists and the snake-handlers of West Virginia, to see if they showed the particular type of psychopathology associated with mental illness."

Kirksey?

"When they were asked which group they thought would show the most disturbed psychopathology, the whole team identified the snake-handlers. But when the data were revealed, the reverse was true: there was more mental illness among the conventional Protestant churchgoers - the "extrinsically" religious - than among the fervently committed."

No worries, Reverend.

w

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by rwingett
I have never claimed to be free from all delusions. I only claim to be free from your particular delusion. You'd have to be deluded to claim that true delusion lies in unbelief.
Exactly. That is why I refuse to believe that there is no God.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by whodey
Exactly. That is why I refuse to believe that there is no God.
Uh . . . I think you misread Rob's last sentence. Are you saying that your delusional?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by telerion
Uh . . . I think you misread Rob's last sentence. Are you saying that your delusional?
I'm afraid the sentence may have been too complex for him to process.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
26 Sep 06
1 edit

Forget about abiogenesis. How about matterogenesis?
The fact that matter exists does not imply a God. It might simply be a random fluctuation in the energy mass balance, or it may be Allah, or the FSM or Muffy or the Giant Celestial Chicken or Penguin, or Penguin's Cosmic Teapot. They are all absolutely interchangable, since there is no definitive evidence for the existance of any of them (except Penguin, which makes him the most likely by definition). And yes, whodey, we know you believe in him, but that's hardly definitive.

P

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
Here is a quote from Darwin: "From the war of nature, from famine and death, themost exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or inot one, and tha.....from s ...[text shortened]... a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved."
Interestingly, BBC Radio 4's Great Lives was about darwin today and they read that lst passage. It wasn't quite the same as your quote above so I checked my copy when I got home.

The words "by the Creator" appear to have been magically inserted into your quote since he did not write them.

So Darwin does not even attribute abiogenesis to a divine creator. Not that it would affect the accuracy of his theory either way if he did.

--- Penguin.

P

Moves
26 Sep 06

The Maker is not made up of matter. This is the only solution to the problem, rather, the Maker created matter. In regards to time, time is merely a property of matter and need not extend into another realm in which matter does not exist such as a spiritual realm. Therefore, God did not have a beginnging, rather, he initiated the beginning once matter was ...[text shortened]... the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago. The only question remains, a beginning from what!!!!!
Yes, maybe the whole thing was set off 3 billion years ago by some self aware entity. But so far, everywhere we have looked we have found no such entity. He keeps moving further and further away. He is no longer required to understand why the rain falls or the sun shines; why 'acts of God' like earthquakes hurricanes, drought or famine happen; how life evolved or the solar system formed. Now he's hiding right back at the beginning of the universe. I expect that we will one day fully understand that event and will find that he is not there either. If he is, he will be unlike anything we have dreamt up to worship.

--- Penguin.

Callisto Fan

Iowa

Moves
27 Sep 06

I am reading it too. It's excellent!

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by howardgee
so what?

Why is your moniker "With white women"? I find this offensive. If I put "With black women", wouldn't this be racist?
Because I am with white women. If you're with black women, good for you. I could care less.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
"Did our earliest ancestors gain some evolutionary advantage through their shared religious feelings?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1590899,00.html

"Many years ago, a team of researchers at the department of anthropology at the University of Minnesota decided to put this association to the test. They studied certain fringe reli ...[text shortened]... extrinsically" religious - than among the fervently committed."

No worries, Reverend.
You've got to be kidding me?! It's a very complicated thing to look at with many factors to consider. I'll have to sleep on that.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
27 Sep 06

Because I am with white women. If you're with black women, good for you. I could care less.
Off topic a bit Kirksey but could you clarify for me why Americans use the term 'I could care less'? It implies that since you could care less, then you actually care a bit about the subject ... very strange.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by amannion
Off topic a bit Kirksey but could you clarify for me why Americans use the term 'I could care less'? It implies that since you could care less, then you actually care a bit about the subject ... very strange.
It basically means that you don't care. Americans are not very precise with the language.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
27 Sep 06

It basically means that you don't care. Americans are not very precise with the language.
In Australia we use 'I could not care less' to mean the same thing. Strikes me as making more sense.
Anyway, thanks ...

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Sep 06
1 edit

Same here. That just leaves mo' white women fo' us brothaz to get wit, know what I'm sayin'?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by amannion
The American version is used sarcastically. That is, it expresses an idea contrary to its literal meaning, similar to other sarcastic and snide remarks like, "Yeah, right," or "Sure." The contrary meaning is that in fact, one could not care less.

The Australian version is a literal comment, not a sarcastic one. That could be because Australians are so simple-minded that to have it otherwise would be too confusing.