The God Delusion

The God Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
27 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
So explain why we have to be able to make it. We cannot make an apple, does that mean that they don't exist?
No, but it means that you cannot prove how they were made. Common sense would lead me to believe they did not spontaneously pop into existence on their own, however, nor by a slow process of about a billion years or so.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by whodey
Common sense would lead me to believe they did not spontaneously pop into existence on their own, however, nor by a slow process of about a billion years or so.
Common sense can lead one to a number of false conclusions, though, can't it? I'm sure you could think of a few.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by rwingett
This is the new book by Richard Dawkins. Looks like it's going to be a good one.

From the blurb:

[i]While Europe is becoming increasingly secularised, the rise of religious fundamentalism, whether in the Middle East of Middle America, is dramatically and dangerously dividing opinion around the world.

In America and elsewhere, a vigorous dispute be ...[text shortened]... sm' thread. Namely, Noah and the great flood.

So who's going to rush out and buy it?
If there was no God, there would be no such a thing as an atheist.

P

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
So you are saying that if there was no god, there would be no such thing as a "person who believes that there is no God"

I don't think the existance or not of one puts any restrictions at all on the existance or not of the other.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by Penguin
So you are saying that if there was no god, there would be no such thing as a "person who believes that there is no God"

I don't think the existance or not of one puts any restrictions at all on the existance or not of the other.
Atheist: , n. 1. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.

http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/Atheist

S

Moves
27 Sep 06

That's clearly a load of tripe, since by definition an atheist is someone who has no belief in god. If no gods were believed in, everyone would be an atheist by definition. The only thing that would change would be that we would prehaps have no terminology for it.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by Starrman
That's clearly a load of tripe, since by definition an atheist is someone who has no belief in god. If no gods were believed in, everyone would be an atheist by definition. The only thing that would change would be that we would prehaps have no terminology for it.
Noun 1. atheist - someone who denies the existence of god

If God did not exist, you would not need to deny his existence.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Sep 06

Noun 1. atheist - someone who denies the existence of god

Do you believe in unicorns? If not, does that mean unicorns exist?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
"Did our earliest ancestors gain some evolutionary advantage through their shared religious feelings?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1590899,00.html
internal bump

(Come on it's interesting and has snake-handling preachers!)

Moves
27 Sep 06

Do you believe in unicorns? If not, does that mean unicorns exist?
I have never made the claim that unicorns do not exist. The strong atheist does make the claim that God does not exist.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Sep 06

I have never made the claim that unicorns do not exist. The strong atheist does make the claim that God does not exist.
Have you been reading St. Anselm again? Naughty boy.

If anyone makes the claim that unicorns do not exist, does that mean they exist?

The idea of god clearly exists, but that is all that can be demonstrated.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Have you been reading St. Anselm again? Naughty boy.

If anyone makes the claim that unicorns do not exist, does that mean they exist?

The idea of god clearly exists, but that is all that can be demonstrated.

No. It means that the person who makes the claim, claims to have absolute knowledge.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
27 Sep 06

Come on, dj. Don't be silly. Surely even you can see what that statement makes no sense. Let me give you an example of the absurdity that can arise from your sort of logic.

Example:
There does not exist a rational number, q, such that q = sqrt(2). Here 'sqrt' means "positive square root." There. I have denied the existence of such a number, however I (and every mathematician in the world) must be fools. By your logic, this number must exist because otherwise I (and every mathematician in the world) would have no need to deny it.

I acknowledge your faith dj2, but I think you often get carried away when defending it or when attacking other philosophies and beliefs. You should pursue truth first, then let the chips fall where they may.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Sep 06

[b]If anyone makes the claim that unicorns do not exist, does that mean they exist?

No. It means that the person who makes the claim, claims to have absolute knowledge.[/b]
Whether strong atheists are justified in claiming that god does not exist is one thing. But their doing so does not mean that god exists, as you had claimed.

I thought you were referencing St. Anselm's Ontological argument for the existence of god. But it seems that you were just spouting your usual gibberish.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by telerion
[b]If God did not exist, you would not need to deny his existence.

Come on, dj. Don't be silly. Surely even you can see what that statement makes no sense. Let me give you an example of the absurdity that can arise from your sort of logic.

Example:
There does not exist a rational number, q, such that q = sqrt(2). Here 'sqrt' means "positive ...[text shortened]... ophies and beliefs. You should pursue truth first, then let the chips fall where they may.[/b]
Hi Tel!

I hope you realise that Mathematics and Philosophy are different fields of study. I was actully making my comment within a philosophical framework. 😉

Would you care to demonstrate why it would be philosophically tenable to make an absolute negation?