The God Delusion

The God Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Give him a break, man...It's fair to say that most (white) racists in South Africa were (nominally) Christian during apartheid and the same is probably true now.

I'd wager the same is true in the USA.
I'll concede that much.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Halitose
I'll concede that much.
Clearly bigotry is not caused by atheism or theism, so where does it come from?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, I never said that my statement was based on my own experience or a sampling in one country. I only gave those as examples not as a single basis for the statement.
Do you believe it is false or do you just wish to show that my statement might be wrong?
Let us start with this claim: more than 50% of racists have historically been theist. Can you give one country where you feel this might be false?
No, I never said that my statement was based on my own experience or a sampling in one country. I only gave those as examples not as a single basis for the statement.

Fair enough.

Do you believe it is false or do you just wish to show that my statement might be wrong?

I think it impossible to gauge.

Let us start with this claim: more than 50% of racists have historically been theist. Can you give one country where you feel this might be false?

Racism is certainly not a modern phenomenon -- it's permeated many human societies and cultures (for various reasons) through most of known history. It would be presumptuous on my part (and hence IMO on yours) to even think of knowing which demographic to seclude it to. The irony not being lost on me that you tend to be prejudiced towards theists: it's no longer racism, by beliefism.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

The human condition, IMO.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Dec 06

Bigotry is a natural result of evolution. The tendency to favor organisms with genes closest to your own. This does not justify bigotry.
However it is compounded by ignorance and the spreading of beliefs over time.
There may also be some element of an evolutionary effect based on the benefits of sticking with similar minded individuals.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

Bigotry is a natural result of evolution.
I suppose altruism is also a natural result of evolution. What a contradictory species.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06
1 edit

Bigotry is a natural result of evolution. The tendency to favor organisms with genes closest to your own. This does [b]not justify bigotry.
However it is compounded by ignorance and the spreading of beliefs over time.
There may also be some element of an evolutionary effect based on the benefits of sticking with similar minded individuals.[/b]
Bigotry is a natural result of evolution... This does [b]not justify bigotry.[/b]

Really? So essentially you are saying that if something is "natural", that of itself cannot be used as justification for doing it? It's good to know; I'll keep this for later use, thanks.

On what grounds then, as an atheist, do you differentiate "right" from "wrong"?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

I suppose altruism is also a natural result of evolution. What a contradictory species.
unnatural

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

unnatural
That's your bias.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

That's your bias.
Demonstrate how it could be natural.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06
1 edit

Demonstrate how it could be natural.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_in_animals

Vampire bats regularly regurgitate blood and donate it to other members of their group who have failed to feed that night, ensuring they do not starve. 🙂

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_in_animals
I'm not contesting its occurrence. You could just as well have linked me to "wiki/altruism_in_humans"; it doesn't demonstrate how altruism in the true sense of the word gives the creature a competitive advantage. Let me explain:

I guess the first example you could jump on, is altruism amongst kin (e.g. a mother raising a child, etc), but by that definition, most species demonstrate a form of altruism. I'm more interested in the form of altruism where it goes beyond familial borders.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

I guess the first example you could jump on, is altruism amongst kin (e.g. a mother raising a child, etc), but by that definition, most species demonstrate a form of altruism. I'm more interested in the form of altruism where it goes beyond familial borders.
The article explains quite nicely how altruism has evolutionary benefits, so to speak.

I'm not sure you read the article--here's another example:
Walruses have been seen adopting orphans who lost their parents to predators. (altruism outside the "family unit"😉

And
Dogs often adopt orphaned cats, squirrels, ducks and even tigers
(extra-species altruism!)

So...you were saying?

Cape Town

Moves
13 Dec 06
1 edit

It is most definitely not confined to our species.

The two effects continually fight against each other.(Selfishness and altruism) The result is a balance between the two which sways from side to side with individuals biased on one side or the other.
It is a case of a certain behavior only being beneficial when exhibited by some members of the group.
For example a thief can most definitely benefit from his behavior. But if everyone becomes a thief then the whole society breaks down. The same applies to violent behavior.
Almost all animals exhibit competition for mates where there is a balance between a selfish competition for a mate without going to the extreme of severely damaging the whole group.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

It is most definitely not confined to our species.
Why do dogs sometimes adopt the young of other species?