The Gospel of Jesus vs The Gospel of Paul

The Gospel of Jesus vs The Gospel of Paul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Are you at least open to the possibility that it could be true for some people, Romans included?
His was a generalization about "we humans", and presumably only religionists. If he was only referring to what "could be true" for just "some people", he'd have surely said that.

Moves
04 Feb 18
4 edits

Originally posted by @fmf
His was a generalization about "we humans", and presumably only religionists. If he was only referring to what "could be true" for just "some people", he'd have surely said that.
Apart from you not taking credit when good things happen to you and not blaming God when bad things happened to you, what else do you base your belief on that his generalization is totally inaccurate? You forgot to mention that Muslims do believe all the good and evil that happens to them is predetermined by God.

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

Apart from you not taking credit when good things happen to you and not blaming God when bad things happened to you, what else do you base your belief on that his generalization is totally inaccurate? You forgot to mention that Muslims do believe all the good and evil that happens to them is predetermined by God.
I base it on living among and talking to religious people, theists, believers from several different religions, my whole life long in Britain, Ireland, Indonesia, Japan and Australia.

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

You forgot to mention that Muslims do believe all the good and evil that happens to them is predetermined by God.
Muslims thank their god figure for the good things that happen in their lives and pray to him to help them endure the bad times.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 18

Secondson, I'll repeat this response to your post again, if I may, in case it's been a bit buried by subsequent posts.

How does 'trying your best' sound and then seeing what happens ~ i.e. whether you are "saved" or not ~ when you are "judged" by your god figure? It seems more credible than Christians going around declaring themselves already and irreversibly "saved" because they think certain things about themselves and about Jesus.
Don't misconstrue my answer to mean I'm insulting your intelligence.

"Trying", and "doing" your best is all you can do, but no matter how hard you try you can't achieve perfection.

Therein lies the problem.

The Bible makes it clear that we are NOT perfect. The solution to that problem isn't through "thinking certain things". In a nutshell, the solution(salvation) is believing what God says.

It's that simple. God made it easy for us, but at great cost to Himself.

Salvation is only the first step. After that you "do" your best.

Salvation is a free gift. It is not a reward. Do your best in life to do what's right, and when this life is over we will receive our reward.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
04 Feb 18

Blood hell, another one!

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Don't misconstrue my answer to mean I'm insulting your intelligence.
Huh?

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

"Trying", and "doing" your best is all you can do, but no matter how hard you try you can't achieve perfection.
Well in the scenario I put to you I said nothing about "perfection". It is a notion you have introduced. In the scenario I put to you, the "judgement" would be administered to evaluate imperfection.

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

The Bible makes it clear that we are NOT perfect. The solution to that problem isn't through "thinking certain things". In a nutshell, the solution(salvation) is believing what God says.
So what do you think the "judgement" judges?

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

Do your best in life to do what's right, and when this life is over we will receive our reward.
What reward do you think people receive [for doing what's right] when this life is over?

S. Korea

Moves
04 Feb 18

I have found that many Christians, here at least, like to give their god figure credit when something good happens in their lives and many are inclined to cite it as hard evidence of the power of prayer. Do you not do this?
You're right. We should he far more willing to ascribe rough circumstances to punishment for our sins.

This criticism sounds like it came right from the mouth of Fr. Ripperger or Fr. Trenham or Dr. White.

You got a proper traditional Christian inside of you, FMF.

We'll make one of you yet!

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 18

Huh?
What?

F

Moves
04 Feb 18

What?
You don't mean to be insulting my intelligence? What on earth are you on about?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 18

Well in the scenario I put to you I said nothing about "perfection". It is a notion you have introduced. In the scenario I put to you, the "judgement" would be administered to evaluate imperfection.
"Judgement" is sure to come.

Failure to believe God will bring condemnation. But not for the believer. Life for the one that believes, but death for the one that does not.

It's in the Bible. You know that.

"In the scenario I put to you, the "judgement" would be administered to evaluate imperfection".

Not "would" be, or will be. It's a done deal already. Death comes as a result of sin. Eternal life is a free gift to those that believe God.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 18

So what do you think the "judgement" judges?
Sin.