1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 23:02
    Some geological event let the mediterranean (fed by the atlantic) drain into the black sea, flooding villages. A myth was born.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 00:59
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Some geological event let the mediterranean (fed by the atlantic) drain into the black sea, flooding villages. A myth was born.
    When did that geological event take place?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 09:39
    Although the Black Sea deluge predates all known flood mythologies it is unlikely that
    such an event around the Black Sea would have inspired Mesopotamian myths.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 09:41
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Google and Wikipedia and your local library are all excellent sources of reference.
    (Requires more thought than reading the bible but is more rewarding.)
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 12:46
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Google and Wikipedia and your local library are all excellent sources of reference.
    (Requires more thought than reading the bible but is more rewarding.)
    Why is it more rewarding? Do you think it prepares you for what is coming upon this world?

You're on the Titanic.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 14:34
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Although the Black Sea deluge predates all known flood mythologies it is unlikely that
    such an event around the Black Sea would have inspired Mesopotamian myths.
    Why do you think that? All three points.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 14:36
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I don't know. How would you answer your question?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 15:52
    And no amount of information to the contrary will change your mind.

End of thread! 😀
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 16:24
    Originally posted by @secondson

End of thread! 😀
    Actually, the thing that ends the thread is the complete lack of evidence that a global flood has ever occurred. I'm sure, to ancient civilizations, local floods may have seemed global, but that doesn't make them so.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 17:131 edit
    Here’s a bibliography on myths,how and why they grow, with some specific examples. The myths that originated in prehistoric times are especially malleable, there being no written record to slow down embellishment.

http://blogs.bu.edu/guidedhistory/historians-craft/historical-myth-and-memory/
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 17:30
    Originally posted by @js357
    Here’s a bibliography on myths,how and why they grow, with some specific examples. The myths that originated in prehistoric times are especially malleable, there being no written record to slow down embellishment.

http://blogs.bu.edu/guidedhistory/historians-craft/historical-myth-and-memory/
    They will just say "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up, you are full of shyte, the WORLD WIDE FLOOD was real"
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 18:16
    You just pissed me off. Did you offer information to the contrary? No you didn't. Do I have a history of not changing my mind when I meet new information? No, I don't.

secondson is full of shiit.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 20:32
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Actually, the thing that ends the thread is the complete lack of evidence that a global flood has ever occurred. I'm sure, to ancient civilizations, local floods may have seemed global, but that doesn't make them so.
    I'm glad you said that because I will now make an attempt to refute your assertion. 🙄

It all depends on who you talk to. There are scientists that say there is a great deal of evidence for a global deluge, and have some convincing arguments and scientific evidence that proves there was.

But that's not really what I want to say, except to say it all depends on who you talk to.

This question; who in the world is the unquestionable authority on anything? Who in the world has produced infallible evidence that proves there are aliens, ghosts, spirits, unicorns, gods, life after death and so many other things?

No God, no authority, no truth. Just endless debate until our ultimate demise. Too confounding there's no Truth. It must be false.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 20:51
    You just pissed me off. Did you offer information to the contrary? No you didn't. Do I have a history of not changing my mind when I meet new information? No, I don't.

secondson is full of shiit.
    Jeez man!

I didn't mean it that seriously, but you did say a myth was born, which infers your mind is made up. Of course you'll say you have an open mind and would change your belief if convincing evidence was produced.

No you wouldn't.

Have a hissy fit.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 21:34
    Jeez man!

I didn't mean it that seriously, but you did say a myth was born, which infers your mind is made up. Of course you'll say you have an open mind and would change your belief if convincing evidence was produced.

No you wouldn't.

Have a hissy fit.
    The truth of the global deluge won’t be established by words on a chess site forum.

Questions:

How will it be established? (It won’t be, the two ideas are in different realms of thought.)

How did you come by your belief on the matter? (I believe it is more important as a myth than a historical fact, and I came to this belief by reading sources in both mythology and science.)

How is belief on the matter important? (It’s important to be well grounded in both humanity’s foundational mythology and its science, and not to pit one against the other.)

These aren’t just questions for you, they are for whoever. (My current answers in parentheses.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree