the great flood

the great flood

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Apr 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Jeez man!

I didn't mean it that seriously, but you did say a myth was born, which infers your mind is made up....
I was in a bad mood, sorry. When people start threads, why did they do that?

Sometimes, and I know this for a fact, they have an idea and want to see how that idea may hold up, or not.

For the record, even my strongly held opinions are subject to revisal. I'm skeptic of everything, including my own thoughts and understandings.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Apr 18

Originally posted by @apathist
I don't know. How would you answer your question?
If you don’t know when the flood you referenced in your OP took place, how do you know it didn’t take place after Genesis?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
18 Apr 18

I was in a bad mood, sorry. When people start threads, why did they do that?

Sometimes, and I know this for a fact, they have an idea and want to see how that idea may hold up, or not.

For the record, even my strongly held opinions are subject to revisal. I'm skeptic of everything, including my own thoughts and understandings.
Sometimes I think I'm not very good at this debate forum stuff. I should temper my words and think it through before I open my mouth.

The last post on page one by JS357 I found interesting for two reasons. One is it tells me I don't approach subjects academically, and two I take the Bible in full faith.

The reason I have absolute confidence in the veracity of the scriptures is because by them I know God and have a relationship with Him in terms spiritual, which cannot be ascertained by the physical senses, and cannot be understood unless one is born again.

Sounds mythological to be sure, but I am under no illusions. The experience is real and saved my life. Eternally.

Having had this born again experience, and with the aid of God's Spirit, the eyes of my spirit see the miraculous unfolding of the Truth in every jot and tittle.

The world has, for me, become a tedious wasteland of endless information that just doesn't add up, and will one day pass away.

And I really don't expect anyone to take my word for it, but for me, God is the final authority.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
If you don’t know when the flood you referenced in your OP took place, how do you know it didn’t take place after Genesis?
The flood occured before people talked about it, and people would later write about it, seems so.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Apr 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Why is it more rewarding? Do you think it prepares you for what is coming upon this world?

You're on the Titanic.
My post was in response to
When did that geological event take place?

Does the bible have an answer to that?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Apr 18

...The reason I have absolute confidence in the veracity of the scriptures...
Having had this born again experience, ...
I think you spoke well. The experience you mention doesn't make bible true. People from all over the world and from all cultures through time, they talk about that experience. Even in places and times that had no bible.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Apr 18

Why do you think that? All three points.
From memory
the Black Sea deluge (if it happened) was about 7500 years ago.
The earliest flood myths (from Mesopotamia) are about 5000 years old.
2,500 years is a long time to keep an oral tradition alive.

Also it's not that local (though closer than I first thought)
Babylon to the closest part of Black Sea would be at least 1,000 km.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
18 Apr 18

Some geological event let the mediterranean (fed by the atlantic) drain into the black sea, flooding villages. A myth was born.
It is worth a look to see what event created the Scablands here in the US. Flood myths are just myths. That story of Noah is as real as the Easter Bunny.

S. Korea

Moves
18 Apr 18

Some geological event let the mediterranean (fed by the atlantic) drain into the black sea, flooding villages. A myth was born.
The description of the Flood in the Bible uses the Hebrew phrase "flooded the land," and "the land" is so vague as to be able to refer to theoretically a small area or the entire world.

So, I am not sure how relevant the accusation of it being a myth is. Certainly, it has taken the form of an epic, an epic that has corresponding stories in various cultures, but IDK, man.

You could also just be a liberal and do something that I imagine @divegeester would do and shrug your shoulders and talk about its importance as a story about Faith. IDK.

This seems like it's always a silly topic because it doesn't work out that much.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Apr 18

Originally posted by @philokalia

This seems like it's always a silly topic because it doesn't work out that much.
No answer so forget the problem?

Good job Galileo, Newton and Einstein didn't think like that.

Moves
18 Apr 18

Sometimes I think I'm not very good at this debate forum stuff. I should temper my words and think it through before I open my mouth.

The last post on page one by JS357 I found interesting for two reasons. One is it tells me I don't approach subjects academically, and two I take the Bible in full faith.

The reason I have absolute confidence in the v ...[text shortened]... And I really don't expect anyone to take my word for it, but for me, God is the final authority.
"The reason I have absolute confidence in the veracity of the scriptures is because by them I know God and have a relationship with Him in terms spiritual, which cannot be ascertained by the physical senses, and cannot be understood unless one is born again. "

It seems to me that this personal relationship with God, being the basis of your belief about the flood, would lead you to back off from denying the apparent soundness of the scientific interpretation, which is advanced by people who do not have your personal relationship with God as guidance in this matter. There may even be people who have.a personal relationship with God, who disagree with you on the science.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Apr 18

Originally posted by @js357
"The reason I have absolute confidence in the veracity of the scriptures is because by them I know God and have a relationship with Him in terms spiritual, which cannot be ascertained by the physical senses, and cannot be understood unless one is born again. "

It seems to me that this personal relationship with God, being the basis of your belief about the ...[text shortened]... even be people who have.a personal relationship with God, who disagree with you on the science.
Your faith in science is misplaced. Didn’t scientists very recently discover there are literally trillions more galaxies than they previously thought? Much knowledge that results from science is evolving and, as such, cannot fully be trusted at any single point in time.

Moves
18 Apr 18
1 edit

Your faith in science is misplaced. Didn’t scientists very recently discover there are literally trillions more galaxies than they previously thought? Much knowledge that results from science is evolving and, as such, cannot fully be trusted at any single point in time.
Yes, faith and trust, as you describe them, have no place in science. It advances by finding something wrong with the current theories. The only failed experiment is one we don't learn from. Edit: I hope this never changes.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
18 Apr 18

There's an honesty in science, often lacking in theology.

Science doesn't have all the answers, nor does it claim to have.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Apr 18

You just said that learning is stupid.