1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 19:23
    There were also sanatoria in Ancient Egypt which were medical areas inside temples where the sick were brought for rest and treatment. These are well documented in the Egyptian writings and one has survived reasonably well preserved at Dendar; it dates from before Christ.

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/templeother.htm (under "Sanatoria"😉.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Before the coming of Christ, the heathen nations despised honest work and consigned it to slaves. When Christ was born, half of the population of the Roman Empire was slaves. Three-fourths of the population of Athens were slaves.

But J ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.frontline.org.za/articles/racism_slavery_terrorism.htm
    after the coming of Christ the Christian nations despised honest work and consigned it to slaves , too.

which was the norm until the "age of Reason"

Yup the French and English humanists had move to do with ending slavery.

edit BTW the rich and powerful still do
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 21:30
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    after the coming of Christ the Christian nations despised honest work and consigned it to slaves , too.

which was the norm until the "age of Reason"

Yup the French and English humanists had move to do with ending slavery.

edit BTW the rich and powerful still do

You should have a talk with Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels how "reason" treated their slaves. How child labour was used by reason, etc etc.

This silly dichotomy that is being used by some, reason=good and religion=evil or the other way around, is simply too stupid for words, a distortion of historic ànd ideological truth to be used in present political propaganda fights.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:201 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

You should have a talk with Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels how "reason" treated their slaves. How child labour was used by reason, etc etc.

This silly dichotomy that is being used by some, reason=good and religion=evil or the other ...[text shortened]... eological truth to be used in present political propaganda fights.
    A post I agree with 100%; the first post in this thread wants to claim that EVERY SINGLE THING that is good and decent in the world is the result of Christianity and that's rubbish. At the same time, "reason" has not been a panacea for all problems either and can be misplaced; "Social Darwinism" led to eugenics which was a part of the Nazi ideology and the misuse of "scientific Marxism" led to the Gulag. There is enough blood on the hands of both fanatical religious believers and those who say that their actions are based on "reason". At the same time, it would be foolish to say that many religions and many religious people have not enriched the world and done noble and good deeds; the same is true, of course, for those who were not religious. A balanced perspective is certainly needed not the "We're right and you're wrong" false dichotomy that is depicted by some as the contrast between religion vs. reason; I don't see them as mutually exclusive ideas.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:31
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Show me what slavemasters defended slavery with and I'll give you several verses why they are mistaken.
    Don't you see? Of course they were mistaken. But they used
    Christianity for thousands of years to justify it. Sure they were
    wrong, but the idea that Christianity was the 'inspiration' for the
    ancient disbanding of slavery is utterly false.

I am not saying Christianity accurately justifies slavery. I am saying
    that people used it that way since the time of Christ to the present
    day. It was only in the past couple centuries that slavery really began
    to disappear and become morally appalling. In 'ancient' days, this
    was not the case.

The claim is utterly and irrefutably false. I don't see how you could
    agree with it, given the history of slavery in America, much less the
    rest of the world.

Nemesio
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:32
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Give me a link to the ancient hospitals. Everyone knows there were doctors. But hospitals? I'd like to see.
    #1 provided it for you.

Nemesio
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 00:12
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

This silly dichotomy that is being used by some, reason=good and religion=evil or the other way around, is simply too stupid for words, a distortion of historic ànd ideological truth to be used in present political propaganda fights.
    ignorance is no excuse for your bad manners. and using religion to mask fascism is just more of the gasrbage that passes for religion.

Do not try to pretend that the RCC ever did anything about slavery.
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 00:181 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    A post I agree with 100%; the first post in this thread wants to claim that EVERY SINGLE THING that is good and decent in the world is the result of Christianity and that's rubbish. At the same time, "reason" has not been a p ...[text shortened]... eligion vs. reason; I don't see them as mutually exclusive ideas.
    I would have thought you could have seen through the change of subject from slavery to whatever Ivanhoe was passing off as a diversion.

Feudalism itself was slavery ,, no communist made that system up or perpetuated it for centuries.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 04:04
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    ignorance is no excuse for your bad manners. and using religion to mask fascism is just more of the gasrbage that passes for religion.

Do not try to pretend that the RCC ever did anything about slavery.
    😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

Them's fightin' words!

Would you like an application to be in the WolfPack?

10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 05:39
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

Them's fightin' words!

Would you like an application to be in the WolfPack?

can people that misspell " garbage " be relied on to properly fill out the application?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 19:57
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Every name that you mention (William Wilberforce, &c) is a modern name.
    Your friend's claim is in regards to 'the ancient world,' and it is totally false.

Nemesio[/b]
    From the very begining of the Christian Church, christians freed slaves. During the 2nd and 3rd Centuries many tens of thousands of slaves were freed by people that converted to Christ. St. Melania was said to have emancipated 8,000 slaves, St Ovidius freed 5,000, Chromatius 1,400, and Hermes 1,200. Many of the christian clergy at Hippo under St. Augustine "freed their slaves as an act of piety." In AD315 the Emperor Constantine, just two years after he issued the edict of Milan, legalising Christianity, imposed the death penalty on those who stole children to bring them up as slaves. The Emperor Justinian abolished all laws that prevented the feeing of slaves. St Augustine (354-430) saw slavery as a product of sin and contrary to God's Divine plan. St Chrysostom in the 4th century taught that when Christ came He annulled slavery. He proclaimed "In Christ Jesus there is no slave...therefore it is not necessary to have a slave... buy them, and after you have taught them the skill by which they can maintain themselves, set them free."
  12. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 22:07
    Do you realize what an ironic statement that is from you?
    LOL.....😀
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 22:53
    A post I agree with 100%; the first post in this thread wants to claim that EVERY SINGLE THING that is good and decent in the world is the result of Christianity and that's rubbish. At the same time, "reason" has not been a panacea for all problems either and can be misplaced; "Social Darwinism" led to eugenics which was a part of the Nazi i ...[text shortened]... some as the contrast between religion vs. reason; I don't see them as mutually exclusive ideas.

Again a rec from Ivanhoe ....... I wonder where this is going no1 ?
  14. R.I.P.
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 00:15
    There were also sanatoria in Ancient Egypt which were medical areas inside temples where the sick were brought for rest and treatment. These are well documented in the Egyptian writings and one has survived reasonably well preserved at Dendar; it dates from before Christ.

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/templeother.htm (under "Sanatoria"😉.
    Also ancient india's medical knowledge was very advanced. The Charaka-Sanhita and the Sushruta-Sanhita are two old medical text. The Sushruta-Sanhita was supposedly written around the beginning of the christian era. One of the things it describes is a procedure for plastic surgery.

http://vigyanprasar.com/dream/jan2000/article2.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree