Moves
    05 Jan '14 13:54
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:011 edit
    Obesity.

The number of overweight and obese adults in the developing world has almost quadrupled to around one billion since 1980, says a report from a UK think tank. The Overseas Development Institute said one in three people worldwide was now overweight and urged governments to do more to influence diets............The report predicts a "huge increase" in heart attacks, strokes and diabetes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25576400

An estimates 82,000 people die of heart disease every year in the UK, the number for the US is around 600,000. If these sort of numbers were in relation to homosexuality certain Christians on this forum would be apoplectic. Yet when obesity is concerned they remain strangely silent.

So, Robbie, Galveston, sonship, whodey, tell me why homosexuals are targets for your criticism yet I can think of absolutely zero times you have criticised people who are obese?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Obesity.

[quote]The number of overweight and obese adults in the developing world has almost quadrupled to around one billion since 1980, says a report from a UK think tank. The Overseas Development Institute said one in three people worldwide was now overweight and urged governments to do more to influence diets............The report predicts a "huge ...[text shortened]... our criticism yet I can think of absolutely zero times you have criticised people who are obese?
    No one is heralding being overweight, there are no overweight parades of fatties parading up and down your street, no gleeful tabloid headlines of coming out the overweight closet, no pseudo scientific claims that being overweight is immutable, genetically predisposing you to some act that you have no control over.

What is more the Bible does not condemn being overweight whereas it certainly condemns homosexuality and we have therefore no reason to criticise anyone in this regard.

To term it a great spiritual crisis is hilarious, oh deluded one, when will you see the light?
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No one is heralding being overweight, there are no overweight parades of fatties parading up and down your street, no gleeful tabloid headlines of coming out the overweight closet, no pseudo scientific claims that being overweight is immutable, genetically predisposing you to some act that you have no control over.

What is more the Bible does no ...[text shortened]...
    To term it a great spiritual crisis is hilarious, oh deluded one, when will you see the light?
    The weaselling continues. But, sadly, it is to be expected.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:22

82,000 deaths a year is not a crisis? I think you might need your missus to feel your bum.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:241 edit
    weaselling, LOL, is that a made up word? how creative, never the less, the points stand!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:25
    82,000 deaths a year is not a crisis? I think you might need your missus to feel your bum.
    its certainly 82,000 persons more than need to die I suspect.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:27
    weaselling, LOL, is that a made up word? how creative, never the less, the points stand!
    I made that beauty up.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:29
    I made that beauty up.
    LOL...excellent I love made up words.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:29
    its certainly 82,000 persons more than need to die I suspect.
    Imagine if I claimed 82,000 people dying from HIV each year in the UK was not a crisis?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 15:071 edit

The Bible condemns gluttony.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 15:07
    Obesity.

[quote]The number of overweight and obese adults in the developing world has almost quadrupled to around one billion since 1980, says a report from a UK think tank. The Overseas Development Institute said one in three people worldwide was now overweight and urged governments to do more to influence diets............The report predicts a "huge ...[text shortened]... our criticism yet I can think of absolutely zero times you have criticised people who are obese?
    Im not sure that all gluttonous people are necessarily overweight or that all overweight people are necessarily gluttonous.

Maybe if you have some figures for the amount of people dying of gluttony every year, then that would be worth something to talk about from a Biblical standpoint.

While as a Bible believer I cannot support homosexuality, I would think that there are several sins which the Bible condemns which are rampant in societies but which are often accepted. Some of these are lying, coveting your neighbours goods [and wife], gossiping, worldliness, greed and selfishness.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 16:14
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Im not sure that all gluttonous people are necessarily overweight or that all overweight people are necessarily gluttonous.

Maybe if you have some figures for the amount of people dying of gluttony every year, then that would be worth something to talk about from a Biblical standpoint.

While as a Bible believer I cannot support homosexuality, I would ...[text shortened]... lying, coveting your neighbours goods [and wife], gossiping, worldliness, greed and selfishness.
    I would say persistent gluttony, with respect to food, will make someone obese just as persistent gluttony, with respect to drink, will make someone an alcoholic. Not all people who are obese are so as a result of overeating, but the numbers are minuscule, less than 1% from what I recall on an NHS website.

I've seen Robbie use 2 Corinthians 7:1 as a reason to not smoke. In another thread he agreed the same scripture could be applied to obesity. What are your thoughts?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 16:25
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The Bible condemns gluttony.
    yes but obesity is not the same as gluttony, you can be quite gluttonous and remain skinny.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 18:43
    If it is pure numbers of deaths, then why not bring up tobacco? It kills almost as many people in the US as obesity, pushing a half mil. So add that to your litany.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree