1. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:21
    Originally posted by eagles54
    You may find one day that an intractable mind is what leads directly to that pit of hell.
    Anyone that speaks contrary to the word of GOD is on the road to hell. I have commited myself to keep my eyes on JESUS CHRIST. And wait until all of GOD'S enemies are humbled before him.
  2. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:27
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Yes, this thread is intended to operate under that presumption. It was motivated by the constant vagaries of "You must do this to get to Heaven", or "You'll go to Hell if you don't do that" routinely observed here, yet never stated precisely for the record, and never agreed upon by more than one participant.
    Okay, that's cool. I may start a new thread sometime to explore other ideas of entrances to hells/heavens not based on eternalism.
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:32
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    Anyone that speaks contrary to the word of GOD is on the road to hell. I have commited myself to keep my eyes on JESUS CHRIST. And wait until all of GOD'S enemies are humbled before him.
    Your username reveals much to me.

Having a questioning mind, one that seeks experiential truth and not just one that adheres to a straitjacketed mindset is actually an attribute I believe Jesus Christ would approve highly of.

4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:44
    Your username reveals much to me.

Having a questioning mind, one that seeks experiential truth and not just one that adheres to a straitjacketed mindset is actually an attribute I believe Jesus Christ would approve highly of.

you may be forgetting that blind man, had the faith that JESUS, had the power to make him see. After years of questioning and trying to reason why, he was blind. He came unto his right mind and acceptted that GOD had puposely come, to heal him.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:551 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Let's give it a shot:

1. Grace
    2. Sincere repentance for sins and a strong desire to be with God for all eternity
    3 and 4. Dying in a state of mortal sin
    If Grace is a necessary condition for salvation, then it follows that without Grace one will not be saved. This is just what it means for something to be a necessary condition. Hence, the conditions you cite in 2 can't be sufficient, as they alone will not suffice for salvation. You must include along with these conditions the necessary condition of Grace you cite in 1.
  6. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 22:59
    Would a kind person please define 'grace' for me?

Thank you.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:00
    Originally posted by bbarr
    If Grace is a necessary condition for salvation, then it follows that without Grace one will not be saved. This is just what it means for something to be a necessary condition. Hence, the conditions you cite in 2 can't be sufficient, as they alone will not suffice for salvation. You must include along with these conditions the necessary condition of Grace you cite in 1.
    I gave him the benefit of the doubt and took him to mean that the sufficient condition he listed is sufficient cause to be granted Grace, thereby satisfying the necessary condition for salvation. I also interpreted it to mean that the stated repentence and desire were mutually exclusive with dying in a state of mortal sin.

If he didn't mean either of these, then he does indeed have some explaining to do.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:07
    Heaven - Believe Jesus Christ rose literally from the dead and that He is Lord of your life (meaning you follow His rules always).

Hell - Failure to do both of those.

9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Heaven - Believe Jesus Christ rose literally from the dead and that He is Lord of your life (meaning you follow His rules always).

Could you please make your response conform to the question. I can't tell if you intend these to be necessary or sufficient.
  10. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:15

What if you only do one? In that case, you haven't 'failed to do both of those'. Unless you believe in Purgatory, I think you mean 'fail to do at least one of those'.
  11. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:33

Rules? I thought you didn't have to follow rules to be saved? And don't give me that "you follow the rules if you are saved not in order to be saved" crud. For one thing, you just said that you have to follow them. For another, if it were true then there would be no reason to mention these rules at all.

... --- ...
  12. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 23:46
    Would a kind person please define 'grace' for me?

Thank you.
    Anyone?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 00:02
    Anyone?
    Grace: that which is a necessary condition for salvation.

Who says the theologians get to have all the circular fun? LMAO!
  14. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 00:47
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I gave him the benefit of the doubt and took him to mean that the sufficient condition he listed is sufficient cause to be granted Grace, thereby satisfying the necessary condition for salvation.

That was implicit in my position anyhow:

Salvation => Grace
    (Repentence,Desire) => Salvation

Hence

(R,D) => Grace

I also interpreted it to mean that the stated repentence and desire were mutually exclusive with dying in a state of mortal sin.

Pretty much.
  15. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 00:48
    Anyone?
    Grace typically refers to an unmerited, supernatural gift of God that allows intellectual creatures to attain salvation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree