1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '12 20:37
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    is so fundamentally wrong about the nature of a God who spent the entire OT stating precisely the opposite that I find it hard to understand why people accept it just because they have been taught it.
    ----------------------------------dive---------------------------------

I don't "accept it because I was taught it" - this is a misconception. Anot ...[text shortened]... ing to be comforted by an impersonal force or IT!!!?? It's truly a bizarre idea!
    I think you need to re-read my post in this thread explaining my position on this important doctrinal issue. You will see I've not forgotten anything nor am I being dishonest; mearly using clearly stated unambiguous scripture to offer explanation of why I believe what I do. The only "fudging" is when trinitarians claim 3 is 1, but actually three really. I'm sorry if I'm a little irritated with you but I find your replies a insulting when you insunuate my postion is dishonest.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 00:582 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think you need to re-read my post in this thread explaining my position on this important doctrinal issue. You will see I've not forgotten anything nor am I being dishonest; mearly using clearly stated unambiguous scripture to offer explanation of why I believe what I do. The only "fudging" is when trinitarians claim 3 is 1, but actually three really ed with you but I find your replies a insulting when you insunuate my postion is dishonest.
    In Genesis, it is written that man was made in God's image.

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;
    let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air,
    and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that
    creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image
    of God He created him; male and female He created them.

(Genesis 1:26-27)

Why does God refer to both man and God as plural, if there is not something
    about them that means more than one? Trinitarians have a simple answer
    for both of these, since the Holy scriptures explains it to us. What is your
    answers?
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 01:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In Genesis, it is written that man was made in God's image.

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;
    let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air,
    and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that
    creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the im ...[text shortened]... answer
    for both of these, since the Holy scriptures explains it to us. What is your
    answers?
    when we use the phrase "let us make dinner," unless you're suffering from a mental illness, you are talking to someone other than yourself.

the "us" and "our" in this case is a relic left over from copying sumerian/babylonian myths. it refers to the family of gods that created man; the brothers el and ea (enlil and enki).

in the hebrew mangling of the sumerian religion, el went on to become yahweh and his brother ea became the adversary, or satan (who gave the gift of civilization to man).
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 02:59
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    when we use the phrase "let us make dinner," unless you're suffering from a mental illness, you are talking to someone other than yourself.

the "us" and "our" in this case is a relic left over from copying sumerian/babylonian myths. it refers to the family of gods that created man; the brothers el and ea (enlil and enki).

in the hebrew mangling of t ...[text shortened]... his brother ea became the adversary, or satan (who gave the gift of civilization to man).
    Wrong answer. 😏
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 06:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Wrong answer. 😏
    hehehe. if you think it's the wrong answer, it must be the right one 😏
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 06:52
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    hehehe. if you think it's the wrong answer, it must be the right one 😏
    Man kind is made up of the male and the female, thus man kind is plural in
    this way and is referred to as them. Man is also singular in kind in the same
    way God is singular in kind. God is made up of three persons called the
    Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In the gospel of John the Son is called
    the "Word" because He is the ONE PERSON speaking in the beginning in the
    Genesis account when He says, "Let US make man in OUR image" when
    man is made in the image of God. The Son is speaking to the Father and
    the Holy Spirit, the other two persons of the triune God.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
    was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through
    Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
    (John 1:1-3 NKJV)
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 11:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think you need to re-read my post in this thread explaining my position on this important doctrinal issue. You will see I've not forgotten anything nor am I being dishonest; mearly using clearly stated unambiguous scripture to offer explanation of why I believe what I do. The only "fudging" is when trinitarians claim 3 is 1, but actually three really ...[text shortened]... ed with you but I find your replies a insulting when you insunuate my postion is dishonest.
    I am sorry if you feel I am insinuating something. By "dishonest" or "fudging" what I mean is this. As human beings we are not naturally totally honest with ourselves. We are biased. Some dishonest is blatant and we know we are doing it , at other times the fudging or self deception is unconscious and just part of what it is to be human. It often occurs when we have an unexamined position.

An example of dishonest fudging is when Atheists say that Jesus was a humble , good teacher and nothing more and they ignore some of the truly incredible things he said about himself.

The Trinitarian "fudge" is actually an honest attempt to make sense of the things Jesus said about himself and his Father and the Holy Spirit. We know that it makes things messy and difficult to understand. We know that at first sight it appears to contradict the OT. We know all this.

The thing is we didn't create the problem.

Jesus did - by clearly stating he was God on earth. The moment he did this there was a problem because God was present "in Christ" on earth , but also as "Father" in heaven. Therefore two "Gods" but also ONE.

The trinity is an attempt to express this through theology. The only other option (which JWs choose) is to "fudge" away Jesus' claims and words and pretend he was like a divine agent or something else rather than God.

Once you understand Jesus's claims to divinity and the issue it creates then you will see the problem. To simply say "God is One" is to not understand the issues.

Do you not see the problem?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree