The indeterminate elect

The indeterminate elect

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois

Moves
02 Sep 07

Even so, God is faithful even when His people are not. A Christian may spend His life often contrary to the law, yet, because of that Christian's faith in Christ, God will save them according to His own righteousness.

"What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar" (Rom. 3:3-4).

------------------------

Paul signifies three ways by which faith can save a person:

(1) by faithful obedience (Rom. 1:4-5; Rom. 1:16)

(2) by God's faithfulness (Rom. 3:1-4)

(3) by Christ's faithfulness (Rom. 3:21-22, 25-26)

-------------------------------

(1) Some Christians and Jews are justified by their faithful obedience

(2) Some unfaithful Jews are justified by God's faithfulness, despite themselves, apart from the law, because they are Jews*

(3) Some Christians are justified by Christ's faithfulness, despite themselves, apart from the law, because of their faith in Christ*

------------------------------

*These two exceptions mirror what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 20, i.e. the "laborers in the vineyard" parable.

At the end of Matthew 19, the disciples ask Christ,

"'Look, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?' Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man is seated on the throne of his glory, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and will inherit eternal life. But (and this is the important point) many who are first will be last, and the last will be first." (Matthew 19:27-30).

Jesus then immediately goes on to relate the "laborers in the vineyard" parable in order to drive home His point (Matt. 20), that even those who do not have works shall be justified by their faith in Jesus Christ, despite themselves. Why? For God's glory:

"...to prove at the present time that he himself is righteous" ... "Although everyone is a liar, let God be proved true."

God can and will justify sinful people on the day of judgment simply because of their faith, but, as Paul warns, it is nevertheless folly to say, "Let us do evil so that good may come," or, "should we continue in sin in order that grace may abound?" To those who justify themselves with such rationale, Paul says, "their condemnation is deserved."

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Sep 07

(2) Some unfaithful Jews are justified by God's faithfulness, despite themselves, apart from the law, because they are Jews*

Christianity is so ridiculous. 🙄

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
02 Sep 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Even so, God is faithful even when His people are not. A Christian may spend His life often contrary to the law, yet, because of that Christian's faith in Christ, God will save them according to His own righteousness.

"What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a l ...[text shortened]... s with such rationale, Paul says, "their condemnation is deserved."
Nice list, and I definitely agree. Even those who did no good works because they were late on the scene will be rewarded for their faith. But there is something about the teachings of Christ together with what Paul said in Romans 2 that is saying that 'works can save the gentile', because is all about whats inside you. Its not about your outward expression of belief.

There is much that I still have to learn and understand about this issue and I am still searching.

For what its worth, I have learnt much from your posts and I enjoy reading the heated discussions that take place between, yourself, Vistesd, Whodey, Jaywill, Telerion, KM, ThinkofOne, (did I leave out anybody .. sorry). Scripturally I am a lightweight compared to youall.