1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 18:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    There is an indefinable mysterious power that pervades everything. I feel it, though
    I do not see it. It is this unseen power which makes itself felt and yet defies all proof
    because it is so unlike all that I perceive through my senses. It transcends the
    senses.

But it is possible to reason out the existence of god to an [unintelligible] e ...[text shortened]...
    reason. All that I can advise is not to attempt the impossible.

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
    You said, "Hence I gather that god is life, truth, light."

Doesn't this remind you of what Christ said, "I am the Way, the Truth,
    and the Life." Christ also said He was the Light of the world. He is
    that Light that shows the Way to the Truth that leads to eternal Life.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 18:24
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    gandhi was an amazing person, no doubts about that, but still he was another religious nut. faith transcending reason is a terrible,terrible,terrible thing. reason must be king, the lack of reason is why we have so many problems in a world that shouldnt have any.
    as thom yorke once sang " just because you feel it doesnt mean its there "

my daughter ...[text shortened]... use my mummy wouldnt lie to me. in her mind she is 100% correct, but it doesnt make her right.
    The difference is that Mummy can lie, but God can not lie.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 20:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    are you saying that he has limits to his/her/its power?

you know that mummy can lie because you are sure that there is no such thing as the tooth fairy, but my child would say mummy can not lie.

if my child believes in god does that mean she has found god? even though she is too young to weigh up the facts?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 20:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    JS357's question was absolutely point blank and crystal clear, robbie.
    it was completely abstract and topped off with a personal insult.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Oh I teased you my trusty feer, like the trusty feers do, always with good spirit, and, why not, for a hearty lough over an imaginary tippeny or a wee dram;

We both know Ghandi's beliefs alright; I shifted them a bit towards the Royal Game and the result is at least awkward (for examlpe, GMs "play intuitively" but their plans are not separated from r ...[text shortened]... eive that GMs do play without resource to reason! And so we disagree -no big deal though)
    😡
    ah Great beetle you know the Gaelic temperament well, for tis part of our egalitarian
    sensibilities that we can tease each other safe in the knowledge that it need not be
    personal! I believe that their reason is guided by intuition dear beetle. Kaspers knows
    that without his light squared bishop his kingside attack with the dark side of the KID is
    bound to fail, he need not reason it, his intuition guides his reason and he knows it.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 00:021 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    are you saying that he has limits to his/her/its power?

you know that mummy can lie because you are sure that there is no such thing as the tooth fairy, but my child would say mummy can not lie.

if my child believes in god does that mean she has found god? even though she is too young to weigh up the facts?
    Lying is evil and evidence of lack of Power.

P.S. Satan believes that God exists, but Satan does not believe in God
    in the way that we are expected to. Atheists say they don't even
    believe God exists. So what do you really mean when you say "believe
    in God"?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 08:49
    You said, [b]"Hence I gather that god is life, truth, light."

Doesn't this remind you of what Christ said, "I am the Way, the Truth,
    and the Life." Christ also said He was the Light of the world. He is
    that Light that shows the Way to the Truth that leads to eternal Life.[/b]
    Ghandis teaching is that cerebral acknowledgement is not enough, ones religious
    convictions must percolate from the mind to the heart and motivate one to action.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 08:49
    ah Great beetle you know the Gaelic temperament well, for tis part of our egalitarian
    sensibilities that we can tease each other safe in the knowledge that it need not be
    personal! I believe that their reason is guided by intuition dear beetle. Kaspers knows
    that without his light squared bishop his kingside attack with the dark side of the KID is
    bound to fail, he need not reason it, his intuition guides his reason and he knows it.
    Methinks this kind of intuition is nothing but the fruit of the hard work because it arises solely thanks to hard work. Exclude the countless hours of hard work that turned a patzer into a GM -and you remain with just the patzer, who's intuition ain't mean a thing.

It seems to me that the seriousness of desicion making (intuition/fruit of hard work is of course included) on the chessboard does not only start series of practical consequences and time pressure, but it also has a significance of the stratagems, tactics and fantasy that it connects. So no reason, no nothing 😡
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 09:061 edit
    Methinks this kind of intuition is nothing but the fruit of the hard work because it arises solely thanks to hard work. Exclude the countless hours of hard work that turned a patzer into a GM -and you remain with just the patzer, who's intuition ain't mean a thing.

It seems to me that the seriousness of desicion making (intuition/fruit of hard work i ...[text shortened]... nificance of the stratagems, tactics and fantasy that it connects. So no reason, no nothing 😡
    But we must make a reasonable leap of faith ,not blind faith, to arrive at this position, ie "No reason, no nothing".
    It depends on where we are with our lessons. Some will be further along than others, but we all get home in the end, right?

On top of what Ghandi said I would add that a "law" (more guideline really, but a neccesity none the less), is bound by ones thinking always. So we must become co-authors of the universe when we are ready. Copying others will not suffice.

Unfortunatly my answer to your koan is still "I dont know" , despite feeling like I have put in hard work, for my back is very sore πŸ™‚

Always nice of you to grace us with your presence, dear beetle 😡
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 09:41

It seems to me that the seriousness of desicion making (intuition/fruit of hard work i ...[text shortened]... nificance of the stratagems, tactics and fantasy that it connects. So no reason, no nothing 😡
    there are just so many factors dear Beetle, one can play merely for the aesthetics
    of a position, beautiful pawns are one thing but may be impractical when one is
    trying to storm the bastions of the the royal house on the other side of the board,
    even the great Capablanca who relied more upon his intuition than anyone else over
    reached himself when playing Ilyin-Genevsky, an unknown Russian master, not
    because he did not understand the elementary principles of the position, but
    because he must have simply underestimated his opponent, how else are we to
    account for it?

Thus as you stated in your post in the chess only forum, it appears paramount that
    one must know oneself. Botvinnik who tried to make chess a science states of
    Fischer that above all else, he was true to himself and herin was his strength and his
    weakness, Socrates would agree with him! Knowing oneself is of the utmost
    importance to the decision making process and herin lies the difficulty for as the
    ancient bard states, its not so easy to see ourselves as others see us. How are we
    to proceed? Thus i perceive two conflicting forces, the elements of the chess board
    and its dictates and our own will, with its propensity for optimism and creativity and
    bravery and lots of other ideals which may be our undoing.

Clearly chess cannot be reduced to a rigid set of maxims for in every instance there
    is a counter argument, nor can one rely totally upon ones intuition, gleaned from
    hours of study the process of which is to make us wiser and stronger, for knowledge
    does not lead to wisdom ( wisdom being the application of knowledge) unless we
    know how to do just that, apply it. Knowing that an IQP may be a strength or a
    weakness is one thing, knowing how to play with or against it another.

I myself have taken the guise of Icarus, for it describes my approach, carried away
    with the exuberance of the experience i can get high from chess, yet it follows that
    as soon as i have reached my zenith, i am want to come crashing down and the
    escapist is faced with imminent reality and once again i find myself at the point of
    giving up, despondent and unwilling to try again. Pleasure spiked with pain!
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 11:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    But we must make a reasonable leap of faith ,not blind faith, to arrive at this position, ie "No reason, no nothing".
    It depends on where we are with our lessons. Some will be further along than others, but we all get home in the end, right?

On top of what Ghandi said I would add that a "law" (more guideline really, but a neccesity none the le ...[text shortened]... back is very sore πŸ™‚

Always nice of you to grace us with your presence, dear beetle 😡
    Edit: "But... ...right?"

Methinks we must make concrete analysis, evaluation and calculation. Leap of faith is irrelevant;

Edit: "On top... ...suffice."

I think mind is the bond (between our way, the way we perceive things and our position in an ever changing universe) and the bond is strong. We merely make it up; no absolute truth.

Your koan is YouπŸ™‚

Nice to hear of you too, my karoly. May You Always Be Happy
    😡
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 11:27
    there are just so many factors dear Beetle, one can play merely for the aesthetics
    of a position, beautiful pawns are one thing but may be impractical when one is
    trying to storm the bastions of the the royal house on the other side of the board,
    even the great Capablanca who relied more upon his intuition than anyone else over
    reached himsel ...[text shortened]... at the point of
    giving up, despondent and unwilling to try again. Pleasure spiked with pain!
    Yes😡

As you see, one has always to create one's own way. This is the Reason, and the variations start from this point😡
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 12:00
    circular argument, god can only;a) not be a liar; if, b) god exists. b is a personal opinion not a fact.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 12:061 edit
    Yes😡

As you see, one has always to create one's own way. This is the Reason, and the variations start from this point😡
    ah yes, but for some it is a natural process for others, its hard to see, can statistics tell
    us what a friend cannot? can we determine for ourselves where our strengths and
    weaknesses lie? does it really matter at patzer level? How i search for something
    concrete but look, its a sweeping up of leaves to see them blown away by the wind! πŸ™‚
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 12:22
    Edit: "But... ...right?"

Methinks we must make concrete analysis, evaluation and calculation. Leap of faith is irrelevant;

Edit: "On top... ...suffice."

I think mind is the bond (between our way, the way we perceive things and our position in an ever changing universe) and the bond is strong. We merely make it up; no absolute truth.

Your koan is YouπŸ™‚

Nice to hear of you too, my karoly. May You Always Be Happy
    😡
    Of course.
    I still feel as though I would not be here conversing with you , on this path now, if I had not made some leaps of faith in the past. Abandoned old stale reasoning. Cast aside the lure of the world and embraced the reality of my dreams.

But , as we both know, it's just words. We make up a story to connect the dots, but it is not necessary.

my concrete analysis tells me to make one more leap of faith , when the time is right, and finally stop dragging this corpse around after me ...It's up to me and no one else to be happy always. I gotta tell myself that every now and then still. i still got a bit of child in me.
    😡

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree