1. Joined
    04 Jun '14
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 13:35
    Eclipse the Moon perfectly covers the Sun therefore God exists.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 13:38
    Originally posted by blackwitch
    Funny argument...
    ...it's like...
    6 million jews were killed by the nazis, therefore God does not exist.
    As stupid.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 13:44
    It is actually not perfect. Therefore God does not exist.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 13:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is actually not perfect. Therefore God does not exist.
    I drink chocolate milkshakes, therefore god does not exist.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 13:57
    i like kittens therefore pickles.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 14:43
    The moon is the only moon in the solar system that doesn't spin on its axis.!?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 14:524 edits
    I never heard such a thing, that the eclipse of the moon covering the Sun was proof of God's existence. Close, but no cigar.

What I did hear was this:

Somehow some have calculated that no where else in the solar system would an eclipse of one body before the sun produce such a tight fit. The visual effect from earth is unique so as to so closely match the size of the sun to produce the same effect.

And such a phenomenon (whether true or not - I know not) was evidence of God's intelligence put into the creation for mankind.

It is similar to the so called Goldilocks zone. The earth is just in the right place to support life.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 14:57
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    1. The moon does spin on its axis.
    2. There are plenty of other moons in the solar system that are tidally locked just like our moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking#List_of_known_tidally_locked_bodies

Therefore whoever has been feeding you this nonsense probably fed you quite a lot of other nonsense. Did they perhaps tell you God exists?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 15:05
    Originally posted by sonship
    And such a phenomenon (whether true or not - I know not) was evidence of God's intelligence put into the creation for mankind.
    Every planet has at least one unique feature. If we lived on Saturn, someone would say the rings were there for our enjoyment, therefore God. If we lived on one of Jupiters moons, someone would say the Great Red Spot was there for our enjoyment, therefore God. If we lived on ... you get the picture.

It is similar to the so called Goldilocks zone. The earth is just in the right place to support life.
    No, it is not similar. We live in the Goldilocks zone as a matter of necessity. The earth is just right to support life because if it wasn't, it wouldn't support life. How cool an eclipse looks has no significant effect on life.
    I must also point out that a significant proportion of stars in the galaxy has at least one planet in the goldilocks zone. Its not unusual.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 16:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    1. The moon does spin on its axis.
    2. There are plenty of other moons in the solar system that are tidally locked just like our moon.

Therefore whoever has been feeding you this nonsense probably fed you quite a lot of other nonsense. Did they perhaps tell you God exists?
    Sorry I miss quoted: The key spiritual numbers related to the Moon is repeated in its measurements - the number 11 which means “Hiding”. For example, the eccentricity of the Moon’s orbit is 1.1, or 11 tenths. Indeed, this is a key feature also of the physical Moon since we only ever see one side of it – the back of the Moon is forever hidden from view. In order for the Moon to only ever show us one face it is necessary that the time for the rotation of the Moon on its axis must absolutely perfectly match the time for the Moon to orbit the Earth. If there was even the tiniest difference between those two motions the face of the Moon would appear to change from the Earth’s perspective over time. The fact the motions are perfectly matched tells us it was ordained so by God. The likelihood of this happening by accident is
    zero(6). We conclude from this extraordinary astronomical feat that God’s intent was to ensure the spiritual message of hiding is forever connected to the Moon.

6: No other moon in the Solar System orbits its planet in this way, and no planet orbits the Sun in this way.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 17:152 edits
    Of course it spins on its axis, it takes a bit over 28 days. It's tidally locked to the Earth but it does indeed spin on its axis and I calculated the velocity and that turns out to be about 16 kilometers per hour.

The circumference of the moon is 10,917 kilometers and divide by 672 hours (about 28 days) gives a velocity around 16.7 Kilometers per hour or about 10 miles an hour at the lunar equator.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 17:441 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course it spins on its axis, it takes a bit over 28 days. It's tidally locked to the Earth but it does indeed spin on its axis and I calculated the velocity and that turns out to be about 16 kilometers per hour.

The circumference of the moon is 10,917 kilometers and divide by 672 hours (about 28 days) gives a velocity around 16.7 Kilometers per hour or about 10 miles an hour at the lunar equator.
    As you can see I corrected my error duh!!!

27.3 days to be correct. 13.38 times around the earth/365.25
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 17:443 edits
    Sorry I miss quoted: The key spiritual numbers related to the Moon is repeated in its measurements - the number 11 which means “Hiding”.
    Are you sure its not a reference to 9/11 and the two towers?

For example, the eccentricity of the Moon’s orbit is 1.1, or 11 tenths.
    Wikipedia says its 0.0549 which I think refers to the birth date of Jizang, a Chinese Buddhist monk who was born in 549 AD.

The likelihood of this happening by accident is zero.
    It is no accident. It is a well known astronomical phenomena that results from what are known as tidal forces - which you would know if you had read the Wikipedia page I linked earlier. You would also have realised that it is extremely common for moons.

We conclude from this extraordinary astronomical feat that God’s intent was to ensure the spiritual message of hiding is forever connected to the Moon.
    No, we just conclude that the writer doesn't know very much astronomy.

6: No other moon in the Solar System orbits its planet in this way, and no planet orbits the Sun in this way.
    I refer you once again to the Wikipedia page:

I count 33 other moons that do exactly this. This is the same as the number of bones in a typical human spine. What do you think the significance of that might be?

[edit]
    And there are 24 others that might be locked but we don't yet know their rotation periods accurately enough to be sure. I suspect this is a cryptic reference to the date of death of Namhae, the second King of Silla who died in AD 24
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 18:08
    As you can see I corrected my error duh!!!

27.3 days to be correct. 13.38 times around the earth/365.25
    Ahh, that magical part of the thread when RB f***s up and then acts like it's everyone else's fault. 😀
  15. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 19:22
    Sorry I miss quoted: The key spiritual numbers related to the Moon is repeated in its measurements - the number 11 which means “Hiding”. For example, the eccentricity of the Moon’s orbit is 1.1, or 11 tenths. Indeed, this is a key feature also of the physical Moon since we only ever see one side of it – the back of the Moon is forever hidden from view. In ord ...[text shortened]... oon in the Solar System orbits its planet in this way, and no planet orbits the Sun in this way.
    If there was even the tiniest difference between those two motions the face of the Moon would appear to change from the Earth’s perspective over time.

Look up 'libration'. The face of the moon does appear to change from the Earth's perspective over time, due to a slight wobble. Again, this is not unique to our moon.

I don't think there is a single thing you have said here that is actually correct!

--- Penguin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree