The Most Important Writing to Understand

The Most Important Writing to Understand

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Because I don't think there is such a thing as "the world's most important writing". So how can I possibly "rank" anything as such?
The question there you refer to was about - "ranking of any kind". Sounds like you don't like ranking of any kind.

Now if you don't mind, well actually if you do too, I will pay attention to people's vote.

They may qualify their vote with something like - "one of the big ones is" or "IMO" or " in the last 100 years ____".

These qualifiers are okay.

F

Moves
01 Jun 16

Originally posted by sonship
When it comes to reading comprehension, what is the world's most important writing that needs to be comprehended ?
Are you simply asking people what their favourite book is?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Are you simply asking people what their favourite book is?
No.

I am asking about most important writings.
Nice try though.

F

Moves
01 Jun 16

Now if you don't mind, well actually if you do too, I will pay attention to people's vote.
I don't understand why you have reacted in such a peculiar way to my expression of my opinion and my thinking behind it. I haven't tried to stop anyone from expressing their opinions. Did you want me to answer: the Bible?

F

Moves
01 Jun 16

No.

I am asking about most important writings.
Nice try though.
Well surely every devout Christian on the planet is likely to answer - The Bible. And just about every devout Muslim is going to answer - the Koran?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 16
1 edit

The drift of FMF's comments is that there is really no objective most important book.

This is one reason why I consider the Bible up there as the most important. It tells us that the judgement of God "is according to truth" (Romans 2:2) .

Coming out of the loose as a goose 1960s, when I first paid attention to this passage from Romans it kind of shocked me.

"You mean it is not ALL relative ??"

No, it apparently is not ALL relative. The final judgement of God "is according to TRUTH".

That is one reason among a number why I would say reading comprehension on this book, the Bible, is really most important. Somehow in the end there will be an evaluation of our lives not lost in relativism's total fog. It will be according to truth.

That is both good news and yet sobering news as well.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Well surely every devout Christian on the planet is likely to answer - The Bible. And just about every devout Muslim is going to answer - the Koran?
Go find a devout Moslem and tell him to come here and weigh in.

F

Moves
01 Jun 16

The drift of FMF's comments is that there is really no objective most important book.
Asking people what their opinion is regarding the most important book in the world is surely a matter of subjectivity and not objectivity? If there are some empirical parameters you wish to set then do so. But you've acknowledged that you are canvassing people's personal opinions.

F

Moves
01 Jun 16

Go find a devout Moslem and tell him to come here and [b] weigh in.[/b]
"Weigh in" to what?

F

Moves
01 Jun 16

This is one reason why I consider the Bible up there as the most important. It tells us that the judgement of God "is according to truth" (Romans 2:2) .
Is this an example of your objectivity?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
01 Jun 16

[b] There is no such thing. And even if some people DO believe there is such a thing as "the world's most important writing",
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a pretty drastic stance simply to avoid giving an opinion about what you might consider the most important writing.

You m ...[text shortened]... ally incoherent like - " No one can write an English sentence of more than four words." [/b]
I find many books useful; yes, even parts of the Bible. But I agree with FMF that the concept of ranking them in order of importance is fundamentally flawed.

First - the Bible is many books; a collection of writings spanning centuries. So, by ranking the entire collection #1, you've allowed an easy way out of the chore. Just pick all the writings one likes, form a collection of them, and rank the whole thing #1.

Second - which version of the Bible, of the manifold changing versions as the Bible was rewritten over and over again by hand, before the invention of the printing press? Or which of the manifold versions that came after the printing press, where man showed he still likes his holy books to be fluid despite a newfound ability to duplicate them word-for-word?

As for music - can you pick just one piece? I know I can't. Some faves:

Animals as Leaders - the Joy of Motion
Alice in Chains - Facelift
Tool - Lateralus
etc.

...asking me to leave all but one of them out is like asking me to label a bunch of great music "inferior" when I do not feel it is inferior at all. [I suppose I can bundle them all into a collection - I'll call it "Most Awesome Music EVAR!!!" and rank that number 1. Problem solved.]

You asked FMF "it sounds like you want to avoid ranking of any kind...why?" I could just as well ask, "why are you so keen to rank things"?

Yet another caveat. I rarely agree with everything a book has to say, especially one that covers far-reaching and difficult topics. So, I'd add that, not only is it important in general to comprehend what one reads on weighty topics, but also to think critically about what one has just read. It is normal and healthy for parts of the writing to be accepted and others discarded.

Asking only about the understanding part leaves out the critical second part of taking writing on board the mental ship.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Is this an example of your objectivity?
Yes.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 16
3 edits

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I find many books useful; yes, even parts of the Bible. But I agree with FMF that the concept of ranking them in order of importance is fundamentally flawed.

So then which sentence would you rank as more important ?

1.) We can rank the writings of the world in some order of importance.

2.) We cannot rank the writings of the world in any order of importance.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16

Yes.
How so?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Jun 16

When it comes to [b] reading comprehension, what is the world's most important writing that needs to be comprehended ?

Whose writing do you think is the most crucial that something of it, if not all of it, is crucial to be grasped through reading comprehension?

Serious replies ?
Wisecracks, lampoons, smart aleck answers and comedian jokes not needed.

Any thoughtful and serious consideration is welcomed.[/b]
'Wisecracks, lampoons, smart aleck answers and comedian jokes not needed.'

Come sir, your threads invariably require at least two of the above.