1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 02:53
    If any sane person reads the Old Testament, they will find evil that could match today's evil. The difference is......God is very much involved with this evil. Yet.......religion makes every effort to 'defend' God in the evil that takes place.....which only makes the discussion absurd.

Then......the 'New Testament' is somehow created. The evil 'God' is replaced with the ever loving Jesus. This Jesus figure promises new things, that the 'old, angry, jealous, God cannot'. Jesus promises that human life is so very important. Yet.....for 2,000 years, including the Holocaust, there is nothing magical about what Jesus taught, or what God has promised.

The Christians today defend the bible as if it were holy. It is my current belief that the bible is merely a book. And, that the stories from the bible have been taken from texts that existed a long time ago. There is nothing to say that authors of the bible did not have a good imagination, as good as today's storytellers. After all, the Terminator was a great story, and required a great imagination.

The Old Testament is littered with evil, and contradiction, and hypocrisy. Maybe it is time that we humans realize that a Creator exists, but.....we have NO idea who this Creator is.

I have read posters trying to defend God for what has taken place in the Old Testament. And.....they sound more deranged than the actual stories given.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 03:131 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    I have read posters trying to defend God for what has taken place in the Old Testament. And.....they sound more deranged than the actual stories given.
    Actually, I think sonship ~ for example ~ has "defended" [or perhaps shall we say explained] slavery during the OT era in a way that, while I am still not convinced by it, certainly was not "deranged" and was laid out thoughtfully. And while accepting only one source for "historical" accounts of things like genocides committed by the ancient Hebrews is academically and intellectually weak ~ fatally so, I'd say ~ doing so can hardly be described as "deranged" [others here may disagree with me] and, to say the explanation is "more deranged than the actual stories" smacks of you seeking to troll Christians here for the sake of it rather than air your concerns or analysis in a sincere and sober way.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 03:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Actually, I think sonship ~ for example ~ has "defended" [or perhaps shall we say explained] slavery during the OT era in a way that, while I am still not convinced by it, certainly was not "deranged" and was laid out thoughtfully. And while accepting only one source for "historical" accounts of things like genocides committed by the ancient Hebrews is academica ...[text shortened]... ns here for the sake of it rather than air your concerns or analysis in a sincere and sober way.
    I don't care what you say FMF, you are a bad troll, who tries to derail any thread.

My point and OP is valid. There seems to be nothing about the holy bible, that is in fact holy.

Are you going to troll? Or, will you contribute something valid? You were once a Christian, and now are not. Surely, if you believed in the bible, you would still be a Christian.

Don't be a troll FMF, please give something valid.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 03:58
    I don't care what you say FMF, you are a bad troll, who tries to derail any thread.

My point and OP is valid. There seems to be nothing about the holy bible, that is in fact holy.

Are you going to troll? Or, will you contribute something valid? You were once a Christian, and now are not. Surely, if you believed in the bible, you would still be a Christian.

Don't be a troll FMF, please give something valid.
    I am disputing your assertion that "...posters trying to defend God for what has taken place in the Old Testament [...] sound more deranged than the actual stories given."

It's one of the key claims you make in your OP and I don't think it's true. If you can quote Christians' explanations here on this forum that were "more deranged" than the OT stories that were being discussed, why not offer some examples to back up what you claim about what you have read here?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 04:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am disputing your assertion that [b]"...posters trying to defend God for what has taken place in the Old Testament [...] sound more deranged than the actual stories given."

It's one of the key claims you make in your OP and I don't think it's true. If you can quote Christians' explanations here on this forum that were "more deranged" than the OT stories ...[text shortened]... discussed, why not offer some examples to back up what you claim about what you have read here?[/b]
    Your point, as always FMF, is weak. There have been many posts trying to defend God with the evils portrayed in the bible.

Maybe you should read some of the bible, and then, you can participate in this discussion.

You seem very ignorant, and naive on the subject.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 04:41
    Your point, as always FMF, is weak. There have been many posts trying to defend God with the evils portrayed in the bible.
    Of these "many posts", which ones were - and I quote you verbatim - "more deranged than the actual stories given"?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 04:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Of these "many posts", which ones were - and I quote you verbatim - "more deranged than the actual stories given"?
    I am interested in real posters. You are a mere troll to me. Please stop posting on my threads. Please.

You never have anything relevant to say, and you are just a distraction. FMF, please stay away. You are merely a troll.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:24
    You never have anything relevant to say, and you are just a distraction.
    On the contrary, the more relevant the thing I say is, the more you ignore it and instead direct personal remarks at me.

Which explanations - that you have read on this forum - of atrocities described in the OT are even "more deranged" than the atrocities themselves. This is an assertion you have made in your own OP.

How can the discussion continue if you are already calling the people - those with whom you supposedly wish to discuss the topic - "deranged" for viewing the Bible differently from how you do?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    On the contrary, the more relevant the thing I say is, the more you ignore it and instead direct personal remarks at me.

Which explanations - that you have read on this forum - of atrocities described in the OT are even "more deranged" than the atrocities themselves. This is an assertion you have made in your own OP.

How can the discussion continue if yo ...[text shortened]... osedly wish to discuss the topic - "deranged" for viewing the Bible differently from how you do?
    Please stop posting on my threads troll. You have nothing at all relevant to say. Thank you.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:431 edit
    Please stop posting on my threads troll. You have nothing at all relevant to say. Thank you.
    Everything I have posted so far on this page explicitly addresses your OP. In this discussion you supposedly want to have, are you seeking to engage the people whom you are already calling "more deranged" than their own religious literature, or are you seeking to engage non-Christians who already agree with you, and who think that Christian explanations of the OT are "deranged"? Look again at your OP. Is it a sincere attempt to engage these Christians you label as "deranged"?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Everything I have posted so far on this page explicitly addresses your OP. In this discussion you supposedly want to have, are you seeking to engage the people you are already calling "more deranged" than their own religious literature, or are you seeking to engage non-Christians who already agree with you, and who think that Christian explanations of the OT are ...[text shortened]... ok again at your OP. Is it a sincere attempt to engage these Christians you label as "deranged"?
    FMF, please stop posting on my thread. You have nothing to contribute. I would appreciate it. I am being polite here. You generally have nothing at all to say regarding the point of an OP, so please stop posting. Thank you in advance.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:532 edits
    You have nothing to contribute.
    I have contributed several questions which speak directly to your OP. You have been evasive ever since. People will make what they will of your OP and subsequent behaviour.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:53
    If any sane person reads the Old Testament, they will find evil that could match today's evil. The difference is......God is very much involved with this evil. Yet.......religion makes every effort to 'defend' God in the evil that takes place.....which only makes the discussion absurd.

Then......the 'New Testament' is somehow created. The evil 'God' is ...[text shortened]... ken place in the Old Testament. And.....they sound more deranged than the actual stories given.
    Jesus came to make a new covenant (testament) as prophecied in the Old Testament scriptures. He also defended parts of the Old Testament laws by providing a different interpretation from that of the Pharisees.

I have found that what many, like you, that refer to as evil, contradiction, and hypocrisy in the Old Testament is due to their ignorance and misunderstanding of the application of the text.

The Near Genius 😏
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:57
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus came to make a new covenant (testament) as prophecied in the Old Testament scriptures. He also defended parts of the Old Testament laws by providing a different interpretation from that of the Pharisees.

I have found that what many, like you, that refer to as evil, contradiction, and hypocrisy in the Old Testament is due to their ignorance and misunderstanding of the application of the text.

The Near Genius 😏
    Jesus replaced the 'old, evil God of the Old Testament'.

This is false Hinds, because you.....believe that Jesus is God. Therefore, making Jesus just as guilty as God in the Old Testament killings.

There is NO way to defend God, or Jesus. It is all probably made up. A very good fiction.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 05:57
    Maybe it is time that we humans realize that a Creator exists, but.....we have NO idea who this Creator is.
    Maybe it is time that you realised that a Creator does not exist and that you are just as wrong as those Christians.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree