The Papal Blessing

The Papal Blessing

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]His entire life was one of privilege and prestige.

Are you serious? His childhood was marred by the death of his mother and sister. He spent his early adult life training for the priesthood in secret from the Nazi regime. His final years were characterised by excruciating pain. And far from enjoying the pleasures of Rome, he spent a substantial am ...[text shortened]... intlessly go to Iraq and deliberately seek martyrdom? What value do you think that would have?[/b]
I see I've touched a nerve.

I did not mean to offend you Conrau, but I simply have no respect for religion.

We'll see how it plays out with the righteous judge. Like I said before, I could be all wrong about the guy. I hope I am.

But I do take exception to your statement that he oversaw the collapse of communism in Russia. I thought that was Reagan. "Tare down this wall..." 😕

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
09 May 11

[b]Why is it even necassary?

It isn't necessary. Most people go their whole lives without a papal blessing.

Why is it even necassary? The Bible calls us all brothers and one should not be above another and if anything we should act as servants to our brothers as Jesus even did himself by washing the feet of the apostles.

The act of ble ...[text shortened]... lebrations, the Pope will wash the feet of twelve lay people in Rome. It is part of the ritual.[/b]
Well the underlying point here and it's one I'm not going to get back into with you is the Pope is worshipped by millions as much more then a man and one that most Catholics would give their life for in a heart beat because of his station and holyness that he's supposed to have, or whatever they call it. They even give him the titile Father which only belongs to God himself, so he is way more then a mear man to most.
And I don't care what traditions that man has had over the centuries blessing another mear human as themself. One has no more power or importance then another as it is only God and his son Jesus that can do such a thing. This station that men have given to another man is a total injustice and a mockery of God himself.
But I know you will never see that or see the hypocrisy in any man being put in a position that like. If it was to be done rightly by anybody it would have been Jesus don't ya think?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 May 11

Originally posted by josephw
I see I've touched a nerve.

I did not mean to offend you Conrau, but I simply have no respect for religion.

We'll see how it plays out with the righteous judge. Like I said before, I could be all wrong about the guy. I hope I am.

But I do take exception to your statement that he oversaw the collapse of communism in Russia. I thought that was Reagan. "Tare down this wall..." 😕

Haha. Sure.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 May 11

Originally posted by galveston75
Well the underlying point here and it's one I'm not going to get back into with you is the Pope is worshipped by millions as much more then a man and one that most Catholics would give their life for in a heart beat because of his station and holyness that he's supposed to have, or whatever they call it. They even give him the titile Father which only be ...[text shortened]... that like. If it was to be done rightly by anybody it would have been Jesus don't ya think?
The Pope is not worshiped. There is no obligation to die for the Pope. The title of father is given to priests too and obviously to paternal fathers. Jesus obviously did not mean to criticise the latter nor could I see a problem with the former. The position of Pope is for Catholics no different to the position of Peter. If the Pope is respected, it is in so far as he is the successor of Peter. We have been over this before. I am not interested in continuing this discussion. Your ignorance is your own choice.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
09 May 11

The Pope is not worshiped. There is no obligation to die for the Pope. The title of father is given to priests too and obviously to paternal fathers. Jesus obviously did not mean to criticise the latter nor could I see a problem with the former. The position of Pope is for Catholics no different to the position of Peter. If the Pope is respected, it is in s ...[text shortened]... is before. I am not interested in continuing this discussion. Your ignorance is your own choice.
Lol....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 May 11

Originally posted by Seitse
His blessing is of equal worth to mine. Christ left no vicars. Universal
priesthood rules.

Hence, my brother, right now I bless you in the name of Jesus Christ.
Can you give a scripture reference, in which, Jesus the Christ gave the Pope and
you the authority to bless anyone?

Moves
10 May 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
this i think is part of the attraction for the catholic, although it seems to me that such
pageantry relies heavily upon visual elements rather than purely spiritual ones. If he
had been throwing away twenty pound notes, that would have been excellent, as it
stands, the practical benefits of being blessed seem to me to be quite minimal. Were
you yourself inspired by it?
I was inspired to post this on the forum.🙂 The pageantry -- a human expression of the divine -- and the fact that he was out in the open without a physical barrier like the pope-mobile, was impressive.

Moves
10 May 11

For a Catholic, yes, the blessing does confer certain spiritual gifts. I rather suspect a partial indulgence might be available for such an occasion too. It is important to stress however that the efficacy of the blessing does not depend on the particular status of the priest but on the faith of the believer. Theoretically, the blessing of one's own biological father could be more effective than a papal blessing.
I think if we are to be given indulgences we ought to at least be told what they grant us license to do.🙂

rc

Moves
10 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
I was inspired to post this on the forum.🙂 The pageantry -- a human expression of the divine -- and the fact that he was out in the open without a physical barrier like the pope-mobile, was impressive.
well thats something at least, sometimes those weak in faith need a stimulus, the word
of God being too meaty for them, like babes they need trinkets and milk 😛

Cape Town

Moves
10 May 11

All this talk of blessing and nobody has said what it is. What is a blessing?
Is it:
1. a get out of jail free card? (to be traded in against deserved suffering)
2. a card that can be traded in against undeserved suffering?
3. magical protection against both deserved and undeserved suffering?
4. extra points in the judgement day exam?
5. other?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
10 May 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Can you give a scripture reference, in which, Jesus the Christ gave the Pope and
you the authority to bless anyone?
Sure, it is between Genesis and Revelations.

Enjoy! 🙂

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 May 11

Originally posted by Seitse
Sure, it is between Genesis and Revelations.

Enjoy! 🙂
If you say so but for our benift can you show us just 1 scripture that says or just even hints that?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
10 May 11

Originally posted by galveston75
If you say so but for our benift can you show us just 1 scripture that says or just even hints that?
1 Peter 3:9

Not only we all CAN but we all MUST bless others.

You're welcome.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 May 11

Originally posted by JS357
Yesterday the wife and I and two friends were on the terrace of the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice to observe Pope Benedict XVI's procession on the Grand Canal. As he passed by, he was blessing everyone along the route. What do people think the significance of his blessing is to a Catholic, a non-Catholic Christian, a non-Christian believer, a non-believer, ...[text shortened]... ry of the flotilla of multi-manned gondolas and mahogany cruisers that followed, was fantastic.
A "non-Christian believer"

Lol....what the hell is that? I might be one of those - I dont' believe christians exist 😕

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
All this talk of blessing and nobody has said what it is. What is a blessing?
Is it:
1. a get out of jail free card? (to be traded in against deserved suffering)
2. a card that can be traded in against undeserved suffering?
3. magical protection against both deserved and undeserved suffering?
4. extra points in the judgement day exam?
5. other?
A blessing is a "good wish" from one person to another.(I guess that would be 5 but do we really need multiple choice? Are you thinking of going into television?)