The Power of Om

The Power of Om

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Aug 11
3 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
When God's people meet in church, the women must not be allowed to speak. They must keep quiet and listen, as the Law of Moses teaches.

If there is something they want to know, they can ask their husbands when they get home. It is disgraceful for women to speak in church.

(Corinthians I 14:34)
This seems to go against womens liberation doesn't it? However
it is in spiritual matters that God wants the man to be the head,
just as Christ is to be the head of the church. But the man also
should be willing to give his life for his wife, just as Christ gave
his life for the church.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Aug 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
This seems to go against womens liberation doesn't it? However
it is in spiritual matters that God wants the man to be the head,
just as Christ is to be the head of the church. But the man also
should be willing to give his life for his wife, just as Christ gave
his life for the church.
This seems to go against womens liberation doesn't it?

"seems" ?

SEEMS

🙄

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Aug 11

Originally posted by vistesd
Not really. Various techniques and practices are just “effective means”, and effective means for one person might not be so for others. If you are a musician and drummer, that might be an “in”: tuning and grooving with rhythms until the concept-chasing mind lets go. Probably hard rock is out, but maybe some African rhythms. I’m listening to a CD called “ ...[text shortened]... ve—I have no training, but my wife says I manage to keep the rhythms: I can do that for hours!
Sorry for the late reply. Arguing with creationists comes easy and can be done without a moments thought, putting into a framework what i want to say here takes a little longer.

I am a musician and a drummer, in 50 mins i'll be heading back into the practice room for a another morning and afternoon 'woodshedding'. This is where my 'problem', slightly dramatic turn of phrase i know but that's me all over, comes into play. I want to focus my mind more.

Frequently i will have put a loop on and am playing an exercise/sticking/pattern with the loop. I close my eyes and pay attention to what each limb is doing, listen to just the left foot, then the right, then the left hand and and finally the right hand and then try and 'feel' what the entire movement 'feels' like. When this process is going on my thoughts run amok, one minute i'm trying to concentrate on my left foot and the next minute i'm thinking about what i'm going to type in this response to you or some other thing.

I'm a slave to the 'sunglasses' and i want to take them of when i decided, not when they do!!! 🙂

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Aug 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
I can recommend a book by an Indian author but it may not be available readily in your part of the world,whether USA/UK/Australia or South Africa. Anyway I am giving the details which could be useful. i)" Meditation and its practices" by Swami Adiswaranand,published by Advaiata Ashram,Kolkata,India with ISBN no. 81-7505-259-7. It was also published in USA ...[text shortened]... is best learned from a Guru,who will guide you apart from giving you a Mantra for chanting.
Thanks for the info, i'll look into that.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
17 Aug 11
2 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Sorry for the late reply. Arguing with creationists comes easy and can be done without a moments thought, putting into a framework what i want to say here takes a little longer.

I am a musician and a drummer, in 50 mins i'll be heading back into the practice room for a another morning and afternoon 'woodshedding'. This is where my 'problem', slightly 'sunglasses' and i want to take them of when i decided, not when they do!!! 🙂
When this process is going on my thoughts run amok, one minute i'm trying to concentrate on my left foot and the next minute i'm thinking about what I'm going to type in this response to you or some other thing.

Eventually, though, all that conscious thought-control gives way, and your (entrained?) body-mind just puts all of that knowledge into expression without the interruption of thinking-about-it—or you wouldn’t be a very good drummer! That’s when the conceptual glasses come off—and it is your decision, because it’s what you’ve been working toward. It’s a process. And it is that process that leads to a kind of ever-deepening and lasting “letting go” that allows you to more and more just be the drumming (I suspect that you’ve had tastes of that).

It’s the same for me with the tai Chi—especially if I have neglected it for a while, or am focusing on a particular movement that seems not right—but, eventually, the Tai Chi begins to “play itself” and I am just moving. And, ultimately, one can do the Tai Chi spontaneously, one’s own “form” without any prescribed forms (like jazz improv?). I know of no one who does not go through the stage where—as soon as one tries to meditate—the thoughts “run amok”. That’s because we are habituated to our thoughts running amok. If you were to focus on a koan or a mantra, or just do open-mind meditation—observing, experiencing, being-aware—your thoughts would start to run amok.

Would an additional meditation practice help? I don’t know—I do not willy-nilly “prescribe” this or that practice, from just this or that tradition. You’ll have to find out.

If I have to be so bold as to recommend: First, Make the drumming your mantra! I don’t think you can focus your mind more by another practice, but—

Here is a (Rasta/reggae) mantra—or maybe just an affirmation to go with the drumming-mantra:

Ital riddims, river of light, deep rootical drum.

—Note: you can ignore those commas if you let it weave and groove itself as a mantra.

Meditation can be practicing playing those rootical riddims like a river of light as you drum. It’s all your being—you are the river of light in the vast ocean of light; you are a being of “ital riddims”. If you use something like it as a mantra, at some point, you let the rhythms of the mantra itself entrain with your heartbeat, or your whole-body pulse-beat—but never, ever, try to entrain your heartbeat to something like that; just allow the entrainment to happen in the other direction. When you walk, walk to the riddims, when you drum, become those riddims. Again, it’s a process—and your profession, with its non-discursive physical expression, probably give you a leg up.

If I’ve made all that too confusing, ask again…

(Now I’m going to listen to some Count Ossie. 🙂 )

Hmmm . . .

Moves
17 Aug 11

[b]When this process is going on my thoughts run amok, one minute i'm trying to concentrate on my left foot and the next minute i'm thinking about what I'm going to type in this response to you or some other thing.

Eventually, though, all that conscious thought-control gives way, and your (entrained?) body-mind just puts all of that knowledge into exp ...[text shortened]... all that too confusing, ask again…

(Now I’m going to listen to some Count Ossie. 🙂 )[/b]
LATE EDIT to the above: "Ital" (pronounced EYE-tal) is Rasta lingo (Iyaric) for "vital", also natural, healthy.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Aug 11

LATE EDIT to the above: "Ital" (pronounced EYE-tal) is Rasta lingo (Iyaric) for "vital", also natural, healthy.
Reggae and tai chi - I can feel it.

Your tai chi - have you taken classes?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Aug 11

Speaking of tai chi ... is it just me or does that foot -

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/08/move-aside-for-charging-gorill.html

Hmmm . . .

Moves
17 Aug 11
2 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Reggae and tai chi - I can feel it.

Your tai chi - have you taken classes?
Yeah, I took classes years ago. First with a teacher from Al Huang’s more modern stuff (tai chi dance), then at a more traditional school—Yang style short form. Then I moved away and didn’t so any for awhile. I developed my own short “circle form” (so I could do it in a small space) based on the Yang-style with some chi-gung movements rolled in. It’s unorthodox, but mostly pretty classic. Once you put the reggae beat on, though, it soon kinda falls apart into spontaneous dancing. 🙂 My major exercise apart from walking and chores…

Hope all is Irie with you and yours!

EDIT: I am just now listening to a reggae album with an artist called Apache Indian who does a wonderful reggae song that incorporates "Jai Om Namah Shivayah" in it with Rasta lyrics!

Hmmm . . .

Moves
17 Aug 11

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Speaking of tai chi ... is it just me or does that foot -

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/08/move-aside-for-charging-gorill.html
Well, that does look a bit like a classic “monkey stance”—and I think he’s drummin’ some reggae riddims on his chest there!