1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 09:25
    This was on BBC Radio 4 a few weeks back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012mzsp

A snapshot of what it's about -

Reverend Richard Coles explores the world of spiritual sound and meditation and tries to understand what it is about certain sounds and chants which gives practitioners a sense of proximity to the Divine.

Richard meets neuroscientist Dr Alan Watkins of Imperial College who has worked with the Dalai Lama and his team in Tibet and found that people who meditate together showed signs of "entrainment" in their brain activity, the same phenomenon that allows flocks of birds or shoals of fish to move together. Is this the sense of "one-ness" people talk about when meditating?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 00:461 edit
    Sumtimes it's really annoying (the chanting of "OM" ) 🙂
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 03:17
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

Reverend Richard Coles explores the world of spiritual sound and meditation and tries to understand what it is about certain sounds and chants which gives practitioners a sense of proximity to the Divine.

Richard meets n ...[text shortened]... o move together. Is this the sense of "one-ness" people talk about when meditating?
    Since I meditate alone, I wouldn't know. I wonder how much we tend to entrain with our environment, whatever it is—I suspect that our neurology is quite sensitive to our surroundings, and that this had (has) a pretty high survival value. Entrainment might be a mechanism by which the brain separates natural background noise from something different that then stands out—and that might be a threat. But long-term “immersion” in a particular kind of environment might “groove” our neuro-responses so that they have difficulty adapting to a change (say from a crowded urban environment to a solitary rural one, or vice versa).
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 16:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Sumtimes it's really annoying (the chanting of "OM" ) 🙂
    Karoly,were you chanting Om mechanically when you felt it to be annoying? Please do not chant it mechanically. Remember,Hindus consider it to be the symbol of God.If you cannot put your heart into it i.e.knowing it to be God's symbol,the best thing to do is to stop chanting. There is no need to chant it 108 times,usually recommended for one sitting. If you say Om only once, but wholeheartedly,that should suffice.
    The usual massed devotional practice is to sing a Bhajan i.e. a song composed by a saint poet.It is often set to a moving tune and contains really extraordinarily wise words,meant as a guidance to the Sadhak.The singing is accompanied at times by Tabla( a percussion instrument consisting of 2 small drums played by fingers) and a harmonium.But most of the times it is accompanied by cymbals-small sized copper ones,one pair or two.The overall effect,at least for Hindus,is good,if not great.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:12
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Karoly,were you chanting Om mechanically when you felt it to be annoying? Please do not chant it mechanically. Remember,Hindus consider it to be the symbol of God.If you cannot put your heart into it i.e.knowing it to be God's symbol,the best thing to do is to stop chanting. There is no need to chant it 108 times,usually recommended for one sitting. If y ...[text shortened]... sized copper ones,one pair or two.The overall effect,at least for Hindus,is good,if not great.
    108? You are supposed to keep track? No wonder it takes the mind off things.

I recommend Music for Zen Meditation,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_Zen_Meditation
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:29
    Originally posted by JS357

There is an endless string of beads, usually called Rosary and used by Hindus,Muslims,Christians alike.The string contains 108 beads,with the starting bead distinguished from others by having the string come out of the hole and knotted to secure all the beads. You have to turn the beads in your thumb and two next fingers. You do not have to count the beads.When you have done 108,you sense the knotted bead,which has now come back to your thumb. You then stop or go on for another round.
    It is quite simple,although,initially it can be tiresome.
    If you are embarked on a lofty mission like realising God,surely you should not really mind this small chore i.e. turning of the beads.
    Instead of listening to somebody's efforts,best to make one's own effort.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:31
    There is an endless string of beads, usually called Rosary and used by Hindus,Muslims,Christians alike.The string contains 108 beads,with the starting bead distinguished from others by having the string come out of the hole and knotted to secure all the beads. You have to turn the beads in your thumb and two next fingers. You do not have to count the bead ...[text shortened]... rning of the beads.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:32
    There is an endless string of beads, usually called Rosary and used by Hindus,Muslims,Christians alike.The string contains 108 beads,with the starting bead distinguished from others by having the string come out of the hole and knotted to secure all the beads. You have to turn the beads in your thumb and two next fingers. You do not have to count the bead ...[text shortened]... rning of the beads.
    Thanks, I suppose over time the bead turning would become automatic.
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:38

Reggae works too. 🙂
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:47
    Thanks, I suppose over time the bead turning would become automatic.
    Especially,if you pay attention only to chanting Om.The chant does not have to be uttered.You can chant mentally,also,but in the beginning of doing it mentally you may lose concentration and drop off to sleep!
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 17:531 edit

Richard meets n o move together. Is this the sense of "one-ness" people talk about when meditating?
    My wife and I knew a minister in the United Methodist Church who stated
    in his Sunday morning sermon that he would tell a lie if it was to his
    benefit. After the sermon one of the women praised this preacher for
    his honesty. So unbelievers are invading the organized church at all levels.
    Fortunately for the church the majority of the members were not willing to
    renew his term or service there.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 18:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My wife and I knew a minister in the United Methodist Church who stated
    in his Sunday morning sermon that he would tell a lie if it was to his
    benefit. After the sermon one of the women praised this preacher for
    his honesty. So unbelievers are invading the organized church at all levels.
    Fortunately for the church the majority of the members were not willing to
    renew his term or service there.
    That's very nice. But what exactly does that have to do with the OP?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 19:28
    That's very nice. But what exactly does that have to do with the OP?
    I don't think it is nice at all. It may not have anything at all to do with the
    OP, but Christians should be on the alert to not allow false teachings to
    enter the church or to allow Satan to influence us.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 20:48
    Is it any wonder I make it a point to visit this forum every so often.

You people really amuse me.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 08:42
    Ron, this is a thread about a BBC Radio 4 broadcast entitled The Power of Om, which i gave a link to above. I really couldn't give a hoot as to what goes on in your oddball church, if you'd like to listen to the broadcast (it's only 30mins long) and give some comments on the content that would be great. But please, stop spamming up the thread with your 'Satan influencing the Church' delusional ramblings.

Much obliged.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree