1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 08:43
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Since I meditate alone, I wouldn't know. I wonder how much we tend to entrain with our environment, whatever it is—I suspect that our neurology is quite sensitive to our surroundings, and that this had (has) a pretty high survival value. Entrainment might be a mechanism by which the brain separates natural background noise from something different that the ...[text shortened]... ting to a change (say from a crowded urban environment to a solitary rural one, or vice versa).
    It's an interesting topic and one i am going to look into. Any good books you would recommend on meditation?!
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:37
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It's an interesting topic and one i am going to look into. Any good books you would recommend on meditation?!
    Thoughts occur in an active mind like waves on the surface of the ocean. A calm mind is like an ocean without waves. Once thoughts stop, what appears?
    Mind and thoughts are Two or One? I cannot see mind, I can see thoughts, I cannot see mind. Thoughts appear but they also cannot be found, so mind and thoughts have the same nature; so reach a still place and see on your own where you will go beyond thoughts.
    Mind is the ground of being from which thoughts expand and arise, so to me thoughts are the expression of the mind. Since thoughts are thus the display of the mind, they pervade the mind. Thoughts are like dust on a mirror, too much dust and the mirror cannot reflect well; if the observer Universe is indeed everything, nothing and all things in between simultaneously, I conceive “mind” as a tiny observer Universe inside each sentient being
    😡
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 18:023 edits
    Not really. Various techniques and practices are just “effective means”, and effective means for one person might not be so for others. If you are a musician and drummer, that might be an “in”: tuning and grooving with rhythms until the concept-chasing mind lets go. Probably hard rock is out, but maybe some African rhythms. I’m listening to a CD called “African Reggae” right now: it works because I can’t understand the lyrics (and the voice is just part of the music), so that there is no concept intrusion. I like the Reggae “riddims”. I also have a CD called “Inner Rhythms”by Randy Crafton, which is specifically designed to be a meditative, and weaves various percussion instruments.

In general, I do tend to prefer fairly long tracks if I’m using music for meditation: something like Ravi Shankar, perhaps (I have a wonderful CD of ragas with Shankar on the sitar and Yehudi Menuhin on the violin). Sometimes I create them by recording a particular piece over and over.

I started with Zen koans, and still use them (though I usually “translate” them out of any particular cultural context. Now I mostly just do an open meditation where I observe both my environment and my thoughts as the arise, just as if they were birds winging across the mind-ground. Eventually there are longer and longer periods of just being aware, without flitting thought-shadows. Nothing wrong with thinking: just as there is nothing wrong with wearing sunglasses when it’s bright outside—but one wants to be able to take them off or put them on as a choice; same with thinking. Reality—the just-so-suchness (tathata) in which and of which we are—is prior to all conceptualization and thought (which activities, it also, of course, includes—but not more so than, say eating). If, when we think, we want to think about that reality, then we need to just observe/experience It. That’s all.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply that passive listening is not the only way to do music mediation: I often do my tai chi movements, or more often just do free dancing, that seems to incorporate some of the tai chi/chi gung spontaneously and expansively; I also drum on an African drum I have—I have no training, but my wife says I manage to keep the rhythms: I can do that for hours!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 18:22
    Not really. Various techniques and practices are just “effective means”, and effective means for one person might not be so for others. If you are a musician and drummer, that might be an “in”: tuning and grooving with rhythms until the concept-chasing mind lets go. Probably hard rock is out, but maybe some African rhythms. I’m listening to a CD called “ ...[text shortened]... ve—I have no training, but my wife says I manage to keep the rhythms: I can do that for hours!
    How about Christian praise music?
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 19:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How about Christian praise music?
    Absolutely. But—speaking just for me—I usually prefer not to have the intrusion of thoughtful lyrics in meditation, but I do like the music of the human voice. I like both Byzantine and Gregorian chant, for instance (since I don’t speak Greek or Latin πŸ™‚ ). Sometimes, even in English, I can “tune out” the thought-content. Again, that’s just a personal tendency. Every spiritual/religious tradition has their own versions—and different Christian traditions have their different “styles”: Lutherans tend toward Bach, Evangelicals may tend more toward clapping and even dancing, and there is, of course, the Black gospel tradition. I personally would not reject any of them—let alone tell a Christian that they ought to!

Note: In Christian tradition, the word “meditation” is a more “thoughtful” activity—like pondering the meaning of Biblical passages in lectio divina, and would probably include thoughtful praise music. Christian tradition has generally called the more thought-free meditation “contemplation”. Just some cultural and historical differences in the lingo.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 19:572 edits
    Absolutely. But—speaking just for me—I usually prefer not to have the intrusion of thoughtful lyrics in meditation, but I do like the music of the human voice. I like both Byzantine and Gregorian chant, for instance (since I don’t speak Greek or Latin πŸ™‚ ). Sometimes, even in English, I can “tune out” the thought-content. Again, that’s just a personal t ...[text shortened]... ht-free meditation “contemplation”. Just some cultural and historical differences in the lingo.
    Do you like the song "Via delarosa"? Or "Via dolorosa"?

YouTube
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 20:072 edits
    Do you like the song "Via delarosa"? Or "Via dolorosa"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6dwOX6N_Tk
    Ah, man, RJ—it’s been so long. I can almost hear it in my head. I remember it as being mournful and poignant—but a lot of meditative music seems to be in a minor key, and that does not necessarily mean the mood is mournful (though the subject matter of “via dolorosa” surely is).

But that brings up the whole question of “mood”—and I wouldn’t say that one particular “mood” is in any way “the best” for meditation. Depends. There is, of course, in Christian music, a big swing between “Good Friday” music and Easter music!!! And that represents a whole existential “swing” in the Christ story (and in life).

Sorry, not much help… πŸ™

EDIT: Just saw your youtube link; I have very slow dial-up, and can't really play youtube and such. But I will see if I have a version around here. πŸ™‚

EDIT^2: I really think I ought to have a copy around here somewhere, but I can't recall who the artists might've been...
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 20:37
    Ah, man, RJ—it’s been so long. I can almost hear it in my head. I remember it as being mournful and poignant—but a lot of meditative music seems to be in a minor key, and that does not necessarily mean the mood is mournful (though the subject matter of “via dolorosa” surely is).

But that brings up the whole question of “mood”—and I wouldn’t say that o ...[text shortened]... ght to have a copy around here somewhere, but I can't recall who the artists might've been...
    You can download a free copy of the MP3 at the following link:

http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/57126/Sandi%20Patti/Via%20Dolorosa
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 20:511 edit
    You can download a free copy of the MP3 at the following link:

http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/57126/Sandi%20Patti/Via%20Dolorosa
    Sandi Patti! I bet that's who I recall. Thanks.

EDIT: Those who have known me long on here (about 7 years) will recall that I was once a Christian (although that does not mean that that designation would have been accepted by all--or even maybe most--Christians on here). I have talked about my journey before on here; I do not intend to yet once again, so don't bother asking/commenting: it will just be ignored. This EDIT is not aimed at just RJ, but anyone reading in...
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 00:11
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Karoly,were you chanting Om mechanically when you felt it to be annoying? Please do not chant it mechanically. Remember,Hindus consider it to be the symbol of God.If you cannot put your heart into it i.e.knowing it to be God's symbol,the best thing to do is to stop chanting. There is no need to chant it 108 times,usually recommended for one sitting. If y ...[text shortened]... sized copper ones,one pair or two.The overall effect,at least for Hindus,is good,if not great.
    Annoying sometimes when others around me chant it. I wouldn't chant my head off in their bubbles.
    Besides I've got my own mantra to chant, which I do internally from time to time.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 09:14
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Annoying sometimes when others around me chant it. I wouldn't chant my head off in their bubbles.
    Besides I've got my own mantra to chant, which I do internally from time to time.
    Then keep your mind lucid during the disintegration of your personality, and pass from this state to the next fully conscious of what is happening
    as your son does all the time😡
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 15:311 edit
    I can recommend a book by an Indian author but it may not be available readily in your part of the world,whether USA/UK/Australia or South Africa. Anyway I am giving the details which could be useful. i)" Meditation and its practices" by Swami Adiswaranand,published by Advaiata Ashram,Kolkata,India with ISBN no. 81-7505-259-7. It was also published in USA in 2003 by SkyLight Paths Publishing,Woodstock,Vermont,USA 05091.It is an excellent book and I have been benefited by reading it.The web address of the USA publisher is www.skylightpaths.com.ii) Another book,which is written by a westerner,Dr.Phil Nuernberger,is rather an old one titled"The Quest For Personal Power"published by G.P.Putnam's Sons,200,Madison Avenue,New York,NY,USA 10016.It was published in 1996.It is also an excellent book and will appeal to a western reader and gives many details regarding breathing exercises,relaxation methods and meditation.Its ISBN no. is 0-399-14165-0
    If I may add, Meditation is best learned from a Guru,who will guide you apart from giving you a Mantra for chanting.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 02:15
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Then keep your mind lucid during the disintegration of your personality, and pass from this state to the next fully conscious of what is happening
    as your son does all the time😡
    As we all do all the time(disintergrate). But to how concious we are of this process is the litmus test.

THe attachment to my girlie of 7 years has come to an abrupt halt. (she dumped me).

Now taking a step back ,(after eating several pieces of chocolate), I can see that change is inevitable. Also I can see that I stick to my word,(and she doesn't πŸ˜› ). Also I am emotional but have it under control and actually enjoy FEELING. (I am not one to harbour resentment-I get it out str8 away). There- gone πŸ™‚

In a months time I will have thought that this was the best outcome.
    I dont even need "Om" for this one πŸ˜‰

2 Lessons to be learnt from this break up- because there's always at least one.

1. What people say isn't always an accurate relfection of what they are thinking.

2. The more someone says "sorry" in a relationship (of any sort), the more it loses it's impact. πŸ˜›
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 03:011 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    As we all do all the time(disintergrate). But to how concious we are of this process is the litmus test.

THe attachment to my girlie of 7 years has come to an abrupt halt. (she dumped me).

Now taking a step back ,(after eating several pieces of chocolate), I can see that change is inevitable. Also I can see that I stick to my word,(and she doesn' someone says "sorry" in a relationship (of any sort), the more it loses it's impact. πŸ˜›
    My advise is to become a Christian and look for a good Christian girl
    and then treat her as the Holy Bible says you should, always with
    love and doing what is best for her happiness.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 03:14
    My advise is to become a Christian and look for a good Christian girl
    and then treat her as the Holy Bible says you should, always with
    love and doing what is best for her happiness.
    When God's people meet in church, the women must not be allowed to speak. They must keep quiet and listen, as the Law of Moses teaches.

If there is something they want to know, they can ask their husbands when they get home. It is disgraceful for women to speak in church.

(Corinthians I 14:34)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree