1. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 21:201 edit
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    Witch craft you mean, apparantly Reiki has no belief system

this was from http://www.reikiassociation.org.uk/reiki.html
    [i]

Reiki (pronounced Ray-key) is a Japanese word meaning Universal Life Energy, an energy which is all around us.

Natural Healing

Reiki is the name given to a system of natural healing which evolved in Japan from the exp ...[text shortened]...

I expect it has its roots in those religions with belief in a universal energy without a god.
    [/i]I disagree that it is tied to any religions. The definition you provided seems to refute that.
  2. R.I.P.
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 21:48
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    [/i]I disagree that it is tied to any religions. The definition you provided seems to refute that.
    It depends what we both mean by has roots in & is tied to
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 23:19
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    It depends what we both mean by has roots in & is tied to
    Good point.
  4. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 23:43
    Why only Christians? I don't understand why you don't ask followers of all religions to explain it, if you think it conflicts somehow with having a religious belief.
  5. London
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 09:39
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Why only Christians? I don't understand why you don't ask followers of all religions to explain it, if you think it conflicts somehow with having a religious belief.
    Because:

(1) This forum seems to be almost exclusively split between those who bash Christianity and those who defend it with a few notable exceptions. KW has apparently decided to throw his lot in with the Christianity-bashers (KW: I'm still waiting for those Bible references).

(2) As a Westerner, he probably (but not necessarily) knows more about Christianity than other religions. It would be more convenient for him to limit the discussion to Christians.
  6. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 12:36
    I am a strong believer in the power of Reiki. It helps with keeping the place neat.

I also firmly support forki for turning soil, and spadi for digging and planting, shearsi for trimming, and hoei for weeding. Brushi is handy for sweeping the paths.

Happy Horticulture to you all.
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 12:42
    Originally posted by sjeg
    I am a strong believer in the power of Reiki. It helps with keeping the place neat.

I also firmly support forki for turning soil, and spadi for digging and planting, shearsi for trimming, and hoei for weeding. Brushi is handy for sweeping the paths.

Happy Horticulture to you all.
    lol, that's funny, sjeg.
  8. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 20:49
    Ok, well - I limit it to Xtians because they are the primary religion that would bash it, as they did, by calling it demonwork. So my question was specifically to them

Actually, Reiki has its basis in Ancient Taoism, so there are ancient religious ties. Am I a Taoist? No.

Do you know how may Xtians practice yoga? It has been Westernized so as to remove the spiritual ties so that it can be pracitced without Xtians violating their belief system - Sad really, since tapping into one's self is half the purpose of yoga.

Coletti - I do not believe that anything is supernatural. I believe that everything that occurs is within that which is natural - they are things that can and are supposed to occur - So yes, it is a natural thing.

As far as my own studies - I have studied Xtianity, Hindiums, Buhdism, Taoism, Islamic, Confucism, Wiccan, Gaean, Judaism as well as many different philosophically based belief systems.
  9. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 22:22
    Well then, as a Christian, I have no clue. I've not seen it in action. I also -- even though I am a Catholic Christian -- do not believe that any one belief system or organized religion knows everything and has everything covered. Belief that something will work contributes often to its working. Cancer patients who don't believe they will survive generally don't. Those who believe that what they are doing will help them have a better chance at survival, although belief is not 100% of the ballgame. Personally, I don't believe in going to a chiropractor either. I have a friend who swears by it and refuses to go to a physician, although going to a chiropractor has never lessened her pain a bit. My point is that you believe you saw something that worked, and the sick person believed it would work. Perhaps it did. I don't think God only gives healing skills to people who belong to a certain group. I don't remember *In God We Trust* being a part of the Hyppocratic Oath. Since so many alleged Christians who *healed* people on faith alone turned out to be frauds, I reserve judgment on the accuracy of what you witnessed -- not impugning you at all. If it truly did happen exactly as you observed, then it simply proves once again that God isn't limited by human traditions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree