1. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 06:44
    I would first need an example of an amputee who has prayed to have his limbs restored. And I don't know of one who has ever done that. Since you maintain that God has never restored an amputee's severed limb, I shall maintain that no amputee has ever asked Him to, until I see evidence to the contrary.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 07:31
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I am not trying to dodge the "issue". I only disagree about the nature of the issue. What you are saying is fine for your perspective and opinion but it's not the same perspective and opinion as mine; they're different critters in this case. Your "real" question is not mine and certainly I would never expect your "real" question to be answered by prayer. An ...[text shortened]... hind prayers (mine anyway), for I see no spiritual significance in that kind of prayer.
    So can I take it that you personally do not believe that God regularly heals sick people as a result of their prayers (or those of others) to be healed?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 07:33
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    As far as YOU know...
    That is what I said. If you simply don't have an answer to the question then why not say so, or stay out of the thread. Your attempts to try to get involved without actually answering the question don't really help anyone, or contribute to the discussion.
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 12:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is what I said. If you simply don't have an answer to the question then why not say so, or stay out of the thread. Your attempts to try to get involved without actually answering the question don't really help anyone, or contribute to the discussion.
    Yet I have the right to "get involved" and "contribute" the same as anyone else. Unless of course you might feel that uh...I should be silenced? The "answer" is simple: you try to bait Christians into an argument that infers God does not answer prayer. You'll have to come up with an actual example to be taken seriously, and so far, you have named no amputee who has ever prayed for his/her limbs to be restored.
    On further reflection, if you don't mind (and even if you DO mind 😛 ), I'll just keep on participating in any thread I choose to.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 13:18
    Yet I have the right to "get involved" and "contribute" the same as anyone else. Unless of course you might feel that uh...I should be silenced? The "answer" is simple: you try to bait Christians into an argument that infers God does not answer prayer. You'll have to come up with an actual example to be taken seriously, and so far, you have named no am ...[text shortened]... nd even if you DO mind 😛 ), I'll just keep on participating in any thread I choose to.
    How about just asking for some objective evidence that god does answer prayer? I.e. something that can be verified- so me praying that it stop raining today and it then stops raining on this very day doesn't count.

How do you know it's an answered prayer and not something that would have happened anyways?

There have been studies with some mixed results - which tends to tell me that the results are due to random variations that would be consistent with prayer itself not having much to do with it.

For example, in one study people who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of complications after surgery than people who weren't prayed for or were prayed for and didn't know they were being prayed for.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 13:37
    Yet I have the right to "get involved" and "contribute" the same as anyone else.
    Yes you do.

Unless of course you might feel that uh...I should be silenced?
    Not at all.
    My point is merely that you do not infact want to contribute anything of value to the debate but would rather try to derail the questions with your pathetic challenge to produce an amputee that has prayed for his limbs to be restored. You know perfectly well that some amputees have prayed for that very thing and that thier prayers have not been answered with restored limbs. To pretend otherwise as you appear to be doing is unconstructive and deceptive.

The "answer" is simple: you try to bait Christians into an argument that infers God does not answer prayer.
    And if Christians are honest people, they should be able to either:
    1. admit the problem.
    or
    2. be able to show the flaws in the argument.

You are doing neither.
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 19:36
    ...You'll have to come up with an actual example to be taken seriously, and so far, you have named no amputee who has ever prayed for his/her limbs to be restored....
    you are joking, right?
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 20:23
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    you are joking, right?
    wrong
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 20:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes you do.

[b]Unless of course you might feel that uh...I should be silenced?

Not at all.
    My point is merely that you do not infact want to contribute anything of value to the debate but would rather try to derail the questions with your pathetic challenge to produce an amputee that has prayed for his limbs to be restored. You know perfectly we ...[text shortened]... dmit the problem.
    or
    2. be able to show the flaws in the argument.

You are doing neither.[/b]
    But that's why it's called "faith", ya see. If I pray that my mother be delivered safe and healthy from a triple bypass, and she comes thru beautifully, I will give the credit to God. Unbelievers will give it to surgeons (or to fate, or her condition not being dire enough, etc.). That's why it's just a ruse to trap Christians, and this homey don't play dat. God answers prayer--that is what I believe---keyword there fellas: BE-LIEVE. If you choose not to believe as I do, that's just skippy with me.
    And therein is the difference: you guys are coming off worse than a Bible-thumping snake handler, trying to drive a belief (or non-belief) down our throats. How 'bout a little tolerance, eh? Isn't that what liberals are "supposed" to be known for? 😉
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 20:59
    But that's why it's called "faith", ya see. If I pray that my mother be delivered safe and healthy from a triple bypass, and she comes thru beautifully, I will give the credit to God. Unbelievers will give it to surgeons (or to fate, or her condition not being dire enough, etc.). That's why it's just a ruse to trap Christians, and this homey don't play ...[text shortened]... little tolerance, eh? Isn't that what liberals are "supposed" to be known for? 😉
    You have your "holy stone", I have mine. Both work very fine.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 21:19
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    I remember reading somewhere - must have been in some strange place - that the prayers of amputees are never answered. No matter how hard they pray, their limbs are never physically restored. The argument went, that God must be so displeased with amputees that none of them ever came close to having their limbs restored.

Any thoughts?
    Forget amputees. Pray for the stock market.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:03
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You have your "holy stone", I have mine. Both work very fine.
    I don't understand the holy stone thing.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:05
    An amputee growing his/her limbs back would virtually prove the veracity of prayer. The so-called "miracles" of prayer are all non-verifiable, nebulous cases.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:12
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    An amputee growing his/her limbs back would virtually prove the veracity of prayer. The so-called "miracles" of prayer are all non-verifiable, nebulous cases.
    Amputee re-growing limbs prove miracles happen? Nah--The death and resurrection of Christ did it for me.🙂
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:201 edit
    Amputee re-growing limbs prove miracles happen? Nah--The death and resurrection of Christ did it for me.🙂
    Christ's resurrection was indeed a miracle! I was speaking specifically about so-called "answered prayer." I certainly don't deny that God could answer prayer if He wanted to, and I'm in no position so argue that He's never done just that. But there are no bona-fide cases that I'm aware of where that has happened.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree