1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:362 edits
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Amputee re-growing limbs prove miracles happen? Nah--The death and resurrection of Christ did it for me.🙂
    Exactly. There are so many 'Doubting Thomases' these days.

If you have faith, you do not need to prove anything. Least of all any silly questions.

Edit: *sigh* I used to have faith in the stockmarkets. Then something happened.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 23:39
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    I remember reading somewhere - must have been in some strange place - that the prayers of amputees are never answered. No matter how hard they pray, their limbs are never physically restored. The argument went, that God must be so displeased with amputees that none of them ever came close to having their limbs restored.

Any thoughts?
    I've been kinda busy lately, so I haven't had time to look into every thread, but I thought I might give this one a go.
    No doubt my reply will generate an avalanche of controversy, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Think about it for a moment. Where and when did we hear about such miracles occurring? Well, it was when Jesus performed such miracles, right? You know, shrivelled limbs made whole, sight returned to the blind, etc.

It all happened in Israel at a specific time for a specific reason. It all had to do with the fulfilment of prophesy and the establishment of the kingdom of heaven on earth.

So, perhaps you might ask yourselves why didn't the kingdom get established? Why is the world still the same as it ever was? Where's Jesus? Why aren't folks being healed in the name of Jesus like they allegedly were by Jesus' disciples after His Ascension? Why does it appear that it all seems to have faded into the past and now seems to be only a myth?

I can answer those questions, but I'll have save it for another time. I gotta go now. I have to butcher some chickens.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 04:12
    I remember reading somewhere - must have been in some strange place - that the prayers of amputees are never answered. No matter how hard they pray, their limbs are never physically restored. The argument went, that God must be so displeased with amputees that none of them ever came close to having their limbs restored.

Any thoughts?
    Out of sight, out of mind?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 05:07
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You have your "holy stone", I have mine. Both work very fine.
    Read my posting in the first page in this thread and you'll understand what I'm referring to.

My stone is lauphable until you realize the parallell.
    My stone should be taken seriously if christians believing in prayers want to be taken seriously.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 08:251 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So can I take it that you personally do not believe that God regularly heals sick people as a result of their prayers (or those of others) to be healed?
    That would be correct. I do not believe that healing would be a direct result of merely a prayer of petition, nor that it would be done on a regular basis.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 09:33
    But that's why it's called "faith", ya see. If I pray that my mother be delivered safe and healthy from a triple bypass, and she comes thru beautifully, I will give the credit to God. Unbelievers will give it to surgeons (or to fate, or her condition not being dire enough, etc.). That's why it's just a ruse to trap Christians, and this homey don't play ...[text shortened]... little tolerance, eh? Isn't that what liberals are "supposed" to be known for? 😉
    So are you saying that God never does any miracles that could not have a reasonable alternative explanation (and thus not require faith to see).
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 09:58
    So are you saying that God never does any miracles that could not have a reasonable alternative explanation (and thus not require faith to see).
    I would say so too.

If I saw a real miracle, then I would be a true believer myself, in an instant.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:50
    No, I'd say many of them fall into that category--but the resurrection and ascenscion are impossible to define without using the word supernatural.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:51
    I would say so too.

Blessed are they that believe yet do not see.
  10. SEMO
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:25

Any thoughts?
    Some have had their prayers answered, just not how they wanted it. There are many people who have artificial legs or arms/hands, I'd say their prayers were answered.
  11. SEMO
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:27
    I would say so too.

That is the problem, many seek miracles as a sign that he does exists. This is not faith, it is seeing to believe rather than believing without seeing.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 20:00
    Blessed are they that believe yet do not see.
    Blessed are they that believe in Darwinism despite what their priests say.
  13. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 11:59
    No, I'd say many of them fall into that category--but the resurrection and ascenscion are impossible to define without using the word supernatural.
    You could have someone in a coma, and they come round :- there have been enough cases of that.

I'm not sure about the ascenscion tho' - what was witnessed to happen there?
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 22:20
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    There are many people who have artificial legs or arms/hands, I'd say their prayers were answered.
    Good point. God might answer your prayer if you have a whole lot of money so you can go to a good doctor and buy artificial limbs. If your appendix bursts tonight, are you going to just lie in bed and pray or call 9-1-1?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 02:40
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    Some have had their prayers answered, just not how they wanted it. There are many people who have artificial legs or arms/hands, I'd say their prayers were answered.
    It reminds me of an old saying about a guy who is in the middle of the ocean with his boat sinking. He prays to God that he himself would save him and then he waits. As he is waiting an ocean liner passes by and asks if he needs help. The man replies, "No thanks, I have faith that God will save me and I wouldn't want God to think I don't trust him by allowing you to save me instead." Likewise, the coast guard sails by offering the man help and he gives the same response as he turns down their offer to save him. The boat then sinks and the man dies. In heaven the man asks God why he did not save him? He responds, "What do you mean? I sent two people after you that could have saved you."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree