The problem with being an infidel.

The problem with being an infidel.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Dec 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Will my eternal soul suffice?
You have one of those?

I was never issued one.

Infidel

Moves
02 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
You have one of those?

I was never issued one.
Initially I wasn't going to get one, but my parents insisted that I should have one. My mother you know, when she gets really angry, she can get all kinds of stuff done. So I was given a soul that, legend has it, used to belong to this Perzian king who had a fondness for birdwatching. He was killed in battle, but was in too great a rush to get to heaven so he left his soul behind. It proceeded to sail the seven seas for many centuries, until finally it found a new home in me. Years later I bought a second soul from this guy who was selling them to pay of his collegedebt - or to buy drugs, not sure. It used to belong to a female car mechanic. She was killed when a jack gave way and a car crushed her. Not sure how the guy got a hold of her soul. I thought it best not to ask. Can't be held responsible for what you don't know, right?

Anyway, I keep that second one in a jar next to the salt and pepper, in case something happens to the first one. A spare soul actually needs very little maintenance. Once a year I give it some water and a small piece of cheese. It can stay good like that for centuries, millennia even. Just don't shake the jar too much, it doesn't like that. Breaks his spirit or something.

Do you have red hair? That might explain why you have no soul.

rc

Moves
02 Dec 13

Initially I wasn't going to get one, but my parents insisted that I should have one. My mother you know, when she gets really angry, she can get all kinds of stuff done. So I was given a soul that, legend has it, used to belong to this Perzian king who had a fondness for birdwatching. He was killed in battle, but was in too great a rush to get to heav ...[text shortened]... reaks his spirit or something.

um it may interest you noobs to know that the eternal soul is not a Biblical teaching, its a pagan one.

Moves
02 Dec 13

Initially I wasn't going to get one, but my parents insisted that I should have one. My mother you know, when she gets really angry, she can get all kinds of stuff done. So I was given a soul that, legend has it, used to belong to this Perzian king who had a fondness for birdwatching. He was killed in battle, but was in too great a rush to get to heav ...[text shortened]... reaks his spirit or something.

Unfortunately I was born during the mid 80's soul crisis where stores were running out
everywhere due to the baby-boomer's having so many kids at the time, the population
boom really getting going.

My parents decided that given the shortage, and the fact that they felt I didn't really
need one not to try to hunt one down for me. on the black market.
Plus some of the souls sold there.... Well you really don't want to know where they have
been.

Of course If we had known that they could be sold off to pay for college debt then we
might have reconsidered, but pundits at the time were saying that soul prices were only
going to go down as production ramped up and the crisis ended.

However I can't say that I have ever missed having one, so it's probably worked out for
the best.

Moves
02 Dec 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
um it may interest you noobs to know that the eternal soul is not a Biblical teaching, its a pagan one.
Well given we are not Christians [sorry Jehovah's Witnesses] why should we care?

Given that everything in Christianity is a rehash of, or amalgamation of, borrowed ideas
from various pagan religions... Why make a fuss over this one?

You keep forgetting that we are atheists, which means we don't believe in any gods,
not just your version of the Christian god.

Many Christians talk about eternal souls... Who are WE to tell them they are wrong about
their religion? (that is, who are we to tell them what their religion says, we can of course
say that they are wrong about it being true)

Infidel

Moves
02 Dec 13

Whenever I see your name I'm reminded of a guy called Carrot Top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_Top

Is that you? Would certainly explain why you don't have a soul.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Dec 13

You have one of those?

I was never issued one.
Well, now, that explains a lot. 😛

But no, you do have one. It might be a little dinged up by now through neglect or abuse, but it's still there. Without it, you would not be you. It IS you.

Moves
02 Dec 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Well, now, that explains a lot. 😛

But no, you do have one. It might be a little dinged up by now through neglect or abuse, but it's still there. Without it, you would not be you. It IS you.
Nope. Souls don't exist. I am the product of the physical workings of my brain.

That's it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Dec 13

Tell me, robbie, O master of all that you people have made up to put into your Book, tell me then, how can one meet God and be judged on Judgement Day after death, if there is no soul?

rc

Moves
02 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Tell me, robbie, O master of all that you people have made up to put into your Book, tell me then, how can one meet God and be judged on Judgement Day after death, if there is no soul?
perhaps you have heard of the resurrection, its a central tenet of Christianity, if you want to learn of the immortal soul, may i suggest Plato. You may call me His most illustrious Holy eminence, the Zen master, that should suffice.

Infidel

Moves
02 Dec 13

Unfortunately I was born during the mid 80's soul crisis where stores were running out
everywhere due to the baby-boomer's having so many kids at the time, the population
boom really getting going.

My parents decided that given the shortage, and the fact that they felt I didn't really
need one not to try to hunt one down for me. on the black mar ...[text shortened]... ever I can't say that I have ever missed having one, so it's probably worked out for
the best.
Yeah, my parents wanted one regardless of its usefulness. Being Dutch, they were like "it came free with the package, so we want one!" The guy replied that souls were going out of fashion and it really would only hold me back and be unnecessary baggage, but my parents figured we'd deal with that when it would become a problem.

The second one... in hindsight it was not a very smart investment. It didn't cost much, but seeing how it belonged to a female car mechanic, when I need it, it will only want to wear lumberjack clothing and listen to Melissa Etheridge and K.D. Lang.

Ah, well. Win some, lose some.

Infidel

Moves
02 Dec 13

perhaps you have heard of the resurrection, its a central tenet of Christianity, if you want to learn of the immortal soul, may i suggest Plato. You may call me His most illustrious Holy eminence, the Zen master, that should suffice.
Will we resurrect in our original bodies?

rc

Moves
02 Dec 13

Will we resurrect in our original bodies?
hard to say and although its rather speculative I doubt it.

Infidel

Moves
02 Dec 13

Well, I doubt it as well.....

If it's not our body and we don't have a "soul", then what will resurrect?

rc

Moves
02 Dec 13
1 edit

Well, I doubt it as well.....

If it's not our body and we don't have a "soul", then what will resurrect?
I suspect that it may be our bodies, only without the debilitating effects of sin (imperfection) leading to imperfections and ultimately death. After you have died, you have paid the 'price', of sin, it would both be unloving and unjust of God to resurrect you into a sinful and imperfect state again. So if you had an abnormality of some kind, i suspect that this will be eradicated. Christ gave a token of this when he walked the earth and healed people miraculously.