1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 18:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there is no clear genetic determinant of why a person is gay ...., and research is continuing in this area,

The research continues Robbie.
    I wonder why?
    Do you think scientists are looking for something they think does not exist?
    Or are they looking for something they believe to exist?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 19:02
    there is no clear genetic determinant of why a person is gay and even if there was, determination is not the same as causation, I really would wish that people stopped trying to propagandise that there is, its one of the most insidious and morally denigrative pieces of peer pressure that has been imposed upon society.

No single controlling cause h ...[text shortened]... is continuing in this area,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_orientation#Genetic_factors
    LOL, you're so funny. You crack me up everytime.

First of all, you're kind of repeating what I just said. You asked (I paraphrase) "What else besides genetics makes a person?" to which I say (paraphrase) "Well, maternal hormones seem to play a role" to which you say (paraphrase) "No no! Genetics has not been proved to play a role!"

I JUST SAID THAT!!! (in a paraphrasing kind of way)

Second, immediately below the paragraph on the wikipedia page to which you linked is a big text on exactly this subject. Did you choose not to see that?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 19:06
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well DNA, despite being often described as such, is not a blueprint in the same way
    that we have blueprints for buildings.

A blueprint for a building if detailed enough can be used by intelligent agents (ie us)
    to construct that building exactly. We READ the blueprint and that gives us the information
    we need to then construct the building, usin ...[text shortened]... a storage of all the information over their life, and
    not just an image of the mind at death.
    Instead of a blueprint for construction, the DNA contains a computer-like information code that contains the instructions for the automatic assembly and manufacture of structures that reproduce a duplicate copy that insures some variation that makes each copy unique.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 19:102 edits
    1. You must be really stupid.

2. You haven't read or don't remember my explanatory posts.

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE TOOTH FAIRY OR ANY OTHER SUPERNATURAL BEINGS

You must be exceedingly stupid.

The impression you WANT to give is that the Christian God is just about the same as the tooth fairy.

That's your psychological mechanism to render the former as trivial as the latter.

Historically, culturally your comparison is stupid.
    Now you may say Christ means no more to you than the tooth fairy.
    But don't lie to yourself that both carry the same degree of human fancy.

If you really want to say the same class is occupied by both in terms of serious historical considerations, you're being naïve to the point of stupidity.

We (my family) "thank" the tooth fairy/FSM/Santa (it varies) as a joke but
    also as a way of remembering those less fortunate.

That is abundantly clear from my posts and the sensible replies.

What's funny about it?
    Its stupid.

Maybe one of your family will stand next to your death bed one day and thank the Tooth Fairy for all that she did for them during your life (no thanks to you of course).

Maybe the "less fortunate" you help could write a letter of appreciation to the FSM for the help you rendered them. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk, FUNNY !!

And yes, I agree, Jesus of Nazareth [b[is[/b] just like the tooth fairy!

And whose less fortunate than your family for having such a dunce as its head ?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 19:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The research continues Robbie.
    I wonder why?
    Do you think scientists are looking for something they think does not exist?
    Or are they looking for something they believe to exist?
    who knows what their justification may be, fact is, no gay gene despite what the materialists would have us believe and what has constituted probably the largest form of peer pressure and manipulation of morality that i can think of, it puts Goebbels to shame in its insidiousness.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 19:432 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    LOL, you're so funny. You crack me up everytime.

First of all, you're kind of repeating what I just said. You asked (I paraphrase) "What else besides genetics makes a person?" to which I say (paraphrase) "Well, maternal hormones seem to play a role" to which you say (paraphrase) "No no! Genetics has not been proved to play a role!"

I JUST SAID ...[text shortened]... page to which you linked is a big text on exactly this subject. Did you choose not to see that?
    genetics determines why my eyes are blue, why my hair is blond, why my face is the shape it is, it is not a determinant of how I choose to behave and i resent the idea that it is, we are free moral agents and are responsible for our actions. I have not read the article, infact I have not read every article cited by the reference, but i have visited it enough times to recognise that it has been changed, it used to read, there is no clear determinant and studies have conflicting or even opposite findings, it was sufficient for my purpose to cite the reference that I did.

Never the less, if i raised a smile tis enough for me 😀
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 23:11
    Yes i understand how it creates proteins, ill ask again, what else is needed? and i repeat no one has claimed the structures which make up memory will be replicated.
    If you are not replicating the mind then you are not replicating the person.

You are growing a clone.

Or something more akin to an identical twin.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 00:17
    If you are not replicating the mind then you are not replicating the person.

You are growing a clone.

Or something more akin to an identical twin.
    Perhaps, its entirely speculative anyway and honestly impossible to say with any conviction
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 00:24
    Perhaps, its entirely speculative anyway and honestly impossible to say with any conviction
    So basically you are trying to sell people on an eternal afterlife which you don't know
    anything about and can't describe... And you can't even say for sure if who we are
    actually gets there anyway...

If this was anything other than a religion trying to sell this people would immediately
    see that this was a con.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 00:561 edit
    So basically you are trying to sell people on an eternal afterlife which you don't know
    anything about and can't describe... And you can't even say for sure if who we are
    actually gets there anyway...

If this was anything other than a religion trying to sell this people would immediately
    see that this was a con.
    I am not selling anything, the Bible is not specific, its entire intent is designed to get you through this system and into Gods New World through the application of its principles but you would have to read it to know that. So it doesn't describe whether a person will have their memory restored after resurrection? I don't think that's a con, infact, i think your appraisal in not only unrealistic, but quite frankly unreasonable to expect it to do so, after all, its not a scientific textbook, is it.

Wisdom is proved righteous by its works the Christ stated, what that actually means is that to get any benefit from it, you need to apply its tenets and until you do so, you simply cannot claim to understand anything about it, can you?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 01:03
    I am not selling anything, the Bible is not specific, its entire intent is designed to get you through this system and into Gods New World through the application of its principles but you would have to read it to know that. So it doesn't describe whether a person will have their memory restored after resurrection? I don't think that's a con, infact, ...[text shortened]... ts tenets and until you do so, you simply cannot claim to understand anything about it, can you?
    I am sorry but the whole point is that you are supposed to get the benefit of
    this supposedly wonderful afterlife at the end.

So yes, you are trying to sell something.

And you don't even know what it is you are trying to sell.

If people are supposed to work towards an ETERNAL, infinitely long, afterlife.

Do you really seriously not think it might be a good idea to find out if the place you
    are trying to spend eternity in is nice?

Also, I don't want to apply the tenets of the bible as they are appalling.

And lead to nasty things like homophobia, genocide, racism and slavery.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 01:171 edit
    I am sorry but the whole point is that you are supposed to get the benefit of
    this supposedly wonderful afterlife at the end.

So yes, you are trying to sell something.

And you don't even know what it is you are trying to sell.

If people are supposed to work towards an ETERNAL, infinitely long, afterlife.

Do you really seriously not think it ...[text shortened]... s they are appalling.

And lead to nasty things like homophobia, genocide, racism and slavery.
    hardly if you are not going to make it is it? Infact Paul describes the good news as having an odour, sweet smelling to some, but ominous to others and was made with reference to the Roman practice of having a victory parade in which some of the prisoners were destined for death.

The place is the earth, that is, if you put your feet on the ground, the same earth, it certainly has the potential to be a paradise, don't you think it might be a good idea to find out what is actually being taught prior to criticising it?

whether you want to or not is irrelevant and I cannot think of a single Christian principle which leads to slavery, racism, genocide or so called homophobia, but then again, I have only studied it.

Clearly you are unreasonable and quite frankly negative and i don't mean to be rude but negativity is not really my thing, adiós a glass of Californian red awaits me, with some freshly baked crunchy bread.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 03:17
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b You must be exceedingly stupid.

The impression you WANT to give is that the Christian God is just about the same as the tooth fairy.

[/b]
    No to both statements.

If you read my opening post and subsequent clarifications you
    would see that this thread is not about your god or anyone else's

The thread is about gratitude.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 13:061 edit
    No to both statements.

[b]If
    you read my opening post and subsequent clarifications you

The thread is about gratitude.[/b]
    I need to read the whole thread then.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 03:37
    No to both statements.

[b]If
    you read my opening post and subsequent clarifications you

The thread is about gratitude.[/b]
    "The thread is about gratitude." -wolfgang59

One of your best threads, wolfgang59. I'm grateful for RHP and this public forum; and for the gift of each new day. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree