1. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 13:44
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Couldn't you be bothered to read the posts on this page?

I think the meaning and purpose of people's lives - atheists, theists alike - are mainly defined by the impacts they have on others and the impacts others have on them whether it be as individuals or in groups. If things they imagine or believe about themselves happen to animate them to have or feel these impacts, so be it.
    A theist should have God above everything, and because God is above everything, have an allegiance to positive, abstract behavior.

It is allegiance to the highest values.

Of course, I am sure that many people consider the impacts that they have on others important, but it should happen within the context of this higher allegiance. And, of course, there are plenty of Chrsitians that are incredibly lazy and unguided who probably resemble some of this humanist claptrap.

But generally speaking... The very reason that you think this way, about these impacts on others is because you do not believe in an objective morality.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 13:53
    Originally posted by @sonship
    The meaning of the life of an atheist is ___________ ?
    Life has no intrinsic meaning. People can enrich their experience by doing or not doing various activities but there is no net increase or decrease of 'meaning' in the world.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 13:591 edit
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    A theist should have God above everything, and because God is above everything, have an allegiance to positive, abstract behavior.

Of course, I am sure that many people consider the impacts that they have on others important, but it should happen within the context of this higher allegiance. And, of course, t ...[text shortened]... about these impacts on others[/i] is because you do not believe in an objective morality.
    Like I said,  people of course imagine or believe things about themselves but these are only significant in terms of purpose in so far as they animate people to have or feel the impacts of interaction with each other.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 14:34
    Originally posted by @stellspalfie
    Life has no intrinsic meaning. People can enrich their experience by doing or not doing various activities but there is no net increase or decrease of 'meaning' in the world.
    Thanks stellapalfie.

Can I play a game of chess with you ?
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 20:35
    Thankyou for your explanation of something like a driving purpose.

No real argument from me. I'm pretty much just observing responses (with some recollection).
    In point of fact I really answered the question "What is the purpose of life?" from my perspective, but I see purpose as being what gives life meaning.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 20:17
    Originally posted by @philokalia

Of course, I am sure that many people consider the impacts that they have on others important, but it should happen within the context of this higher allegiance. And, of course, t ...[text shortened]... about these impacts on others[/i] is because you do not believe in an objective morality.
    God is not above everything. As you know the horizon only seems horizontal up close. (In space) There is no 'above' or below.
    An allegiance to abstract behaviour ?
    You sound as if you've got yourself mixed up with false teachings.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 03:51
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    God is not above everything.
    True! Try as the Almighty might, he can't force 1+0 to equal anything but 1.

He is an accomplished ghost writer, though...
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:06
    The meaning of the life of an atheist is ___________ ?
    To convince everyone at RHP that God does not exist and there is no real meaning to life other than what you make up.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:121 edit
    Atheists have one and only only common trait. Some are driven this way and some are driven that way and some arem't driven at all. Some are blond, some are bald, some are this, some are that. Atheists have one and only one common trait.

Atheists have one and only only common trait. If I keep repeating this simple fact, might wisdom leak in through skull holes by osmosis or something? Or maybe you'd feel a desire to educate yourself?
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:23
    Originally posted by @whodey
    To convince everyone at RHP that God does not exist and there is no real meaning to life other than what you make up.
    Atheists are unmoved by particular fantasies like the one you profess here. I'm atheist and my particular fantasy is that sometimes mother earth shrugs to dust a particularly unpleasant infestation off of her face.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:30
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Atheists are unmoved by particular fantasies like the one you profess here. I'm atheist and my particular fantasy is that sometimes mother earth shrugs to dust a particularly unpleasant infestation off of her face.
    Indeed. I find it odd that atheists reject God but still cling to this mythical and mysterious mother earth theory, as if the planet had a consciousness of some sort.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:39
    Originally posted by @whodey
    [Indeed. I find it odd that atheists reject God but still cling to this mythical and mysterious mother earth theory, as if the planet had a consciousness of some sort.
    But they don't! Just me. I'm weird but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't believe in your particular god is weird. This is information you should chew on for a bit.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:44
    Btw, I have never rejected any god. That's like saying I believe there is no purple mud on mars. Where is it? Oh there is some. I'm on board now.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 11:51
    Originally posted by @soothfast
    True! Try as the Almighty might, he can't force 1+0 to equal anything but 1.

He is an accomplished ghost writer, though...
    God can accomplish the impossible because he knows impossible is nothing.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 14:292 edits
    Is there something special about the planet of earth ?

How exciting that we have now discovered hundreds of other planets. For decades in my fascination for the earth I was dissapointed that no other but the nine planets were known.

That has now changed since I was a young guy. Now we know of hundreds of planets. Move over Flash Gordon. Even Star Trek is now like reality - PLENTY of planets.

Is ours run of the mill or special in some sense ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree