1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 05:43
    Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.
    -C.S. Lewis
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 05:47
    Curious, since there are an awful lot of miserable theists in the world.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 06:03
    @soothfast said
    The statement does not exclude theists.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 07:00
    I had third row centre stage seats at Jeff Lynne’s ELO in Glasgow last night; that made me pretty happy.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 07:342 edits
    @divegeester said
    I had third row centre stage seats at Jeff Lynne’s ELO in Glasgow last night; that made me pretty happy.

How long did your happiness last?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 07:461 edit
    @dj2becker said
    @divegeester said

How long did your happiness last?
    I still have the happiness; although it probably peaked several times, most notably during a brief flirty exchange with the waitress serving the free alcohol in the euphemistically labeled VIP lounge, taking our seats and realising we were only 12 feet from the stage and subsequently during stirring renditions of Do Ya, Turn to Stone, Sweet Talking Woman and Mr Blue Sky.

I do admit that my happiness this morning is very slightly marred by a feeling of tiredness and a headache.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 09:571 edit

An awful lot of theists are patiently enduring because, as Christ (who patiently endured) taught us that our salvation in full cannot fail in the end.

The atheist, if unrepentant, will be miserable for eternity.
  8. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 11:23
    In most circumstances isn't happiness simply a choice?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 11:28
    @sonship said
    “hung in chains of punishment” as they “glorify (your version of) Jesus in their endless woe.”

Yes, we all know about your strange ghoulish beliefs sonship.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 11:41
    @sonship said
    Unless you have any evidence to the contrary, we all die and all brain function and consciousness is then finished. Atheists would be "miserable" in what way ~ and on what is your assertion based?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 12:24
    @divegeester said
    I still have the happiness; although it probably peaked several times, most notably during a brief flirty exchange with the waitress serving the free alcohol in the euphemistically labeled VIP lounge, taking our seats and realising we were only 12 feet from the stage and subsequently during stirring renditions of Do Ya, Turn to Stone, Sweet Talking Woman and Mr Blue Sky. ...[text shortened]... mit that my happiness this morning is very slightly marred by a feeling of tiredness and a headache.
    I must say that your description of your happiness on this occasion is making me envious. 🙂
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 12:49
    @dj2becker said
    Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.
    -C.S. Lewis
    Happiness is just pleasure generated from gratification of ones needs.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 13:553 edits
    Jesus told His disciples that in the world they WILL have tribulation. But He has overcome the world.
    Jesus warned His disciples that some would be persecuted and killed. But they, through Him, should endure to the end. The apostles said that through tribulation believers must enter into the kingdom of God.
    We can see as an example the trials the apostle Paul went through in his ministry.

Many, many exhortations are in the Gospels and epistles about patient and endurance through suffering.
    And there is no promise that followers of Christ will have a bed of roses to be happy in for the rest of their lives.

But there is a JOY deep within as they grow in grace. And through troubles they can overcome through the indwelling grace of Christ. We know that full salvation cannot fail. In suffering we can have joy and enjoyment of the strong Spirit of Christ empowering us.

The atheist on the other hand will have never ending misery being eternally separated from God if they refuse Christ.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 13:572 edits
    You don't believe it? You do what you have to do.

And to you who are being afflicted, rest with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with the angels of His power, in flaming fire.

Rendering vengeance to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

They will pay the penalty of eternal destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His strength.

When He comes to be glorified in His saints and to be marveled at in all those who have believed (because our testimony to you was believed) in that day." (Second Thess. 1:5-10)

If any of you do not believe this, you go on and do whatever you think you should do.
    Salvation is extended by Christ. the misery of the unforgiven rejectors will be forever and ever, if I understand the Scriptures rightly.

And I think I do. How can one "pay the penalty of eternal destruction" if one does not exist?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 14:13
    @sonship said
    The atheist on the other hand will have never ending misery being eternally separated from God if they refuse Christ.
    Do you have any evidence to support this assertion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree