1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 13:13
    Here's my dilemma, see if anyone of linguistic power can help?

    I don't believe in God. Therefore, when I'm surprised or suddenly startled, it's odd for me to go: "My God!!", or "Sweet Jesus!!!", isn't it?

    And this would be most odd: "I'm startled!!!"

    Ideas. Anyone?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    15 Dec '05 13:15
    Dang has always sounded good to me.
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 13:22
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Dang has always sounded good to me.
    Interesting... Also, if you're into the works of Frits Dang, in moments when you almost drop dead of surprise you could go: "Sweet mother of Frits!!!"...
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 13:52
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe
    I am an Atheist.

    The statements you are making are done out of habit. They are a culturally programmed response. The culture could be as small as having grown up in a Christian, Jewish, etc... household.

    I say "Oh my God" all the time. However, I also say "Gods willing" (I went through a phase....) and "Holy sh*t!"

    They are things that you ...[text shortened]... w up with heard being said by everyone, most likey.

    I would not place any stock in it at all.
    I would not place any stock in it at all

    πŸ˜€

    I still want to find my own expressions and reprogram myself. I'm now thinking: "Good me!!!"
  5. Not Kansas
    Joined
    10 Jul '04
    Moves
    6405
    15 Dec '05 14:28
    Originally posted by stocken
    I would not place any [b]stock in it at all

    πŸ˜€

    I still want to find my own expressions and reprogram myself. I'm now thinking: "Good me!!!"[/b]
    Holy cow!
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Joined
    18 Jul '04
    Moves
    8353
    15 Dec '05 14:33
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Holy cow!
    By Allah's pubic hairs!
  7. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    66095
    15 Dec '05 14:47
    Originally posted by stocken
    I would not place any [b]stock in it at all

    πŸ˜€

    I still want to find my own expressions and reprogram myself. I'm now thinking: "Good me!!!"[/b]
    LOL - I did not even catch the pun there.... Oye, I must be tired....
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 15:18
    Originally posted by telerion
    By Allah's pubic hairs!
    Nae, I don't believe in God (Allah)... What's wrong with you... By telerion's pubic hairs!!!

    Now, that's much better... πŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    15 Dec '05 15:22
    Originally posted by stocken
    Nae, I don't believe in God (Allah)... What's wrong with you... By telerion's pubic hairs!!!

    Now, that's much better... πŸ™‚
    ROTFL. Oh, dear! (another one for your list, stock)
  10. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 15:37
    Originally posted by Halitose
    ROTFL. Oh, dear! (another one for your list, stock)
    Don't know this... ROTFL of which you speak, but... yes!.. Oh dear could work in the company of very old women...

    I think I wan't something a little more... me...

    "Ho!!! I'm confused!!!"

    What do you think of that one?..
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    15 Dec '05 15:39
    Originally posted by stocken
    Don't know this... ROTFL of which you speak, but... yes!.. Oh dear could work in the company of very old women...

    I think I wan't something a little more... me...

    "Ho!!! I'm confused!!!"

    What do you think of that one?..
    ROTFL - Rolling on the floor laughing.


    😡😡
  12. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 15:43
    Originally posted by Halitose
    ROTFL - Rolling on the floor laughing.


    😡😡
    😡
  13. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    15 Dec '05 18:43
    Originally posted by stocken
    "Ho!!! I'm confused!!!"

    What do you think of that one?..
    "Hoe!!!"

    I usually prefer short expressions like "oi" or "oisann" (Norwegian), "oops", "woops", or "huch" (German) (I'll add "dang" to my repertoire). It might be fun to create some longer and weirder expressions, but you might not remember them quickly enough when you need them.

    But as an atheist, you should worry less about the whole issue than you should as a Christian, as Christians are not allowed to use the name of their God in vain. I just heard that there's a whole book about Norwegian expressions which were created to avoid using words like "god" or "Jesus". English examples for this would be "my goodness" or "oh gee". I am sure there are a lot more.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    15 Dec '05 18:51
    Originally posted by stocken
    Here's my dilemma, see if anyone of linguistic power can help?

    I don't believe in God. Therefore, when I'm surprised or suddenly startled, it's odd for me to go: "My God!!", or "Sweet Jesus!!!", isn't it?

    And this would be most odd: "I'm startled!!!"

    Ideas. Anyone?
    "Motherf *****" works for me.
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    15 Dec '05 18:53
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "Hoe!!!"

    I usually prefer short expressions like "oi" or "oisann" (Norwegian), "oops", "woops", or "huch" (German) (I'll add "dang" to my repertoire). It might be fun to create some longer and weirder expressions, but you might not remember them quickly enough when you need them.

    But as an atheist, you should worry less about the whole i ...[text shortened]... nglish examples for this would be "my goodness" or "oh gee". I am sure there are a lot more.
    Yes, and we have ojsan, which is pretty much the same word as oisann. Also, we have "attans", but they don't quite cut it, do they?

    Suppose you're right though. To remember it when the s**t really hits the fan, it must be short and precise.

    How many norwegians does it take to screw a swede?
Back to Top