1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 18:53
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "Hoe!!!"

I usually prefer short expressions like "oi" or "oisann" (Norwegian), "oops", "woops", or "huch" (German) (I'll add "dang" to my repertoire). It might be fun to create some longer and weirder expressions, but you might not remember them quickly enough when you need them.

But as an atheist, you should worry less about the whole i ...[text shortened]... nglish examples for this would be "my goodness" or "oh gee". I am sure there are a lot more.
    Yes, and we have ojsan, which is pretty much the same word as oisann. Also, we have "attans", but they don't quite cut it, do they?

Suppose you're right though. To remember it when the s**t really hits the fan, it must be short and precise.

How many norwegians does it take to screw a swede?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 18:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "Motherf *****" works for me.
    In your case, that would be akin to "Good me."
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 19:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "Motherf *****" works for me.
    Yes, but how do you pronounce it? *=o, or what? 🙂
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 19:06
    Originally posted by stocken
    Yes, but how do you pronounce it? *=o, or what? 🙂
    I believe the root of the word is:
    hoozyerdaddy, Old English for the Latin phrase, "thank you sire, may I have another?"
  5. The sky
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 19:09
    Yes, and we have ojsan, which is pretty much the same word as oisann. Also, we have "attans", but they don't quite cut it, do they?

Suppose you're right though. To remember it when the s**t really hits the fan, it must be short and precise.

How many norwegians does it take to screw a swede?
    None, the Swedes are already screwed-up. 😛

"Attans" is new to me, I don't think something similar exists in Norwegian (but I might be wrong, I have only been living here for six years). One expression I use quite a lot is "jøss", which I believe is one of those scrambled "Jesus!" versions. It has a nice ring to it, so I use it in spite of the religious connotation.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 19:15
    None, the Swedes are already screwed-up. 😛

"Attans" is new to me, I don't think something similar exists in Norwegian (but I might be wrong, I have only been living here for six years). One expression I use quite a lot is "jøss", which I believe is one of those scrambled "Jesus!" versions. It has a nice ring to it, so I use it in spite of the religious connotation.
    ha ha.. the swedes are already screwed-up... yea, well...

I was going for: "Too many, so I won't worry about it."

jøss = Jösses in swedish, and you're right, it is a jumbled version of Jesus. Sounds much more fun in norwegian though.

Oh, and let me just say that I think the norwegian language is much more delightful than the swedish. We sound bored and indifferent (expect for perhaps the strange people of Göteborg), whereas you sound much more happy and enthusiastic.

My favorite norwegian remark, would be: "Deeeeeoooo"
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:031 edit
    Here's my dilemma, see if anyone of linguistic power can help?

I don't believe in God. Therefore, when I'm surprised or suddenly startled, it's odd for me to go: "My God!!", or "Sweet Jesus!!!", isn't it?

And this would be most odd: "I'm startled!!!"

Ideas. Anyone?
    I've been trying to work "Great Scott!" into regular usage. "Jiminy Crickets!" would be another good one, although hard to say with a straight face. The Gabby Hayes approach always works too, with "Dag Nabbit!" doing just fine in a pinch.
  8. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:05
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I've been trying to work "Great Scott!" into regular usage. "Jiminy Crickets!" would be another good one, although hard to say with a straight face.
    Are we a "Back to the Future" fan?

"GREAT SCOTT!"
  9. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:07
    Originally posted by telerion
    By Allah's pubic hairs!
    That would be incorrect no matter how you slice it.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:13
    "Geez-Oh-Pete" has always been a personal favorite, along with the extended version, "geez-oh-friggin'-Pete."
    However, when something is especially egregious, and time permitting, I'll pull out this Caddyshack-ism:
    "So I've got that going for me."
  11. The sky
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:25
    Oh, and let me just say that I think the norwegian language is much more delightful than the swedish. We sound bored and indifferent (expect for perhaps the strange people of Göteborg), whereas you sound much more happy and enthusiastic.

My favorite norwegian remark, would be: "Deeeeeoooo"
    I think that depends a lot on the dialect. But any Scandinavian language is fine with me, as long as it's not Danish. 😉 Northern Norwegian is fun because it's so direct and coarse.

I have never heard anyone say "deeeeeoooo". What about "du store alpakka"?
  12. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:31
    I think that depends a lot on the dialect. But any Scandinavian language is fine with me, as long as it's not Danish. 😉 Northern Norwegian is fun because it's so direct and coarse.

I have never heard anyone say "deeeeeoooo". What about "du store alpakka"?
    What's alpakka? ha ha... it sure sounds fun though...

Uhm, you've never heard: "Deeeeooo". It's Fleksnes. You know. That forty year old, still living with his mama. It was a norwegian comedy show back in the eighties. Extremely funny.

I agree about danish, though. They're like talking from their throat. Very strange.

I just thought of this one. Going: "Ssss!!!!", while you point hysterically at whatever startled you. If I practice a lot I might actually do it automatically when I get spooked next time.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 20:45
    What's alpakka? ha ha... it sure sounds fun though...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpaca

Uhm, you've never heard: "Deeeeooo". It's Fleksnes. You know. That forty year old, still living with his mama. It was a norwegian comedy show back in the eighties. Extremely funny.

Ah. I have heard about it, but I haven't seen it (as I said, I have only been living in Norway for six years, and besides, I don't have a TV).

I just thought of this one. Going: "Ssss!!!!", while you point hysterically at whatever startled you. If I practice a lot I might actually do it automatically when I get spooked next time.

For greater effect, you should dart your tongue in and out.
  14. Standard memberZippy B
    Living But Weak
    Stockport
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 21:32
    Doh!
    Good Grief!
    Struth!
    Blow Me!
    Well Bugger Me!
    Aaaarrrrrrghhhhh!
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 22:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree