1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 10:0211 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't recall Jesus ever going to a strip club, but if it's wine you want he not only drank it, he made it out of water!!

Once again, these other religions turn their nose up at Christians who eat bacon and drink wine, proving once again my point. 😛
    Can wine as used in the Holy Bible be referring to either fermented or unfermented juice?

The answer is yes as I will demonstrate from the following references:

The common Hebrew word for wine is yayin, from a root meaning “to boil up,” “to be in a ferment.” Others derive it from a root meaning “to tread out,” and hence the juice of the grape trodden out.

The Greek word for wine is oinos_, and the Latin _vinun.

http://christiananswers.net/dictionary/wine.html

Speaking of the birth of John the Baptist we can can clearly see in the folloing verse that this is fermented wine and all other femented juice that is being prohibited:
    for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.

(Luke 1:15 NIV)

Some people wrongly assume that if one just lets grape juice alone, it will automatically ferment into a "good" grade of wine. Such an assumption is wrong. Pressed grape juice allowed to ferment without a controlled environment becomes spoiled grape juice (vinegar) which no one wishes to drink.

A clear example of the use of yayin to designate the unfermented juice of the grape is found in Jeremiah 40:10, 12. In verse 10, Gedaliah, the Babylonian governor, tells the Jews who had not been taken captive: "Gather wine [yayin] and summer fruits and oil, and store them in your vessels, and dwell in your cities that you have taken." This order encouraged those Jews who had fled to neighboring countries to return to the land of Judah "and they gathered wine [yayin] and summer fruits in great abundance" (Jer 40:12). In both of these verses we find the term yayin used in a matter-of-fact construction to refer to the fruit of the vine. Alcoholic wine is not gathered from the fields. Such usages negate the assumption that yayin can refer only to fermented wine.

In Nehemiah 13:15 we find another example where yayin is used to designate freshly pressed grape juice. "In those days I saw in Judah men treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in heaps of grain and loading them on asses; and also wine [yayin], grapes, figs and all kind of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day; and I warned them on the day when they sold food." Here yayin is most probably the pressed grape juice, since it is mentioned together with the treading of wine presses on the Sabbath. The fresh juice was sold on the Sabbath along with fresh grapes and other fruits.

https://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/2.html

In Acts 2:13 the word gleukos, rendered “new wine” in the KJV more accurately denotes “sweet wine.” as rendered in the NAS.
    Robertson’s Word Pictures: “Sweet wine, but intoxicating. Sweet wine kept a year was very intoxicating.” Making wine from grapes that have been left to dry a while makes the wine sweeter and when fermented the added sweetness also makes it more highly alcoholic.

NOTE: “In view of the long trip from Bethabara to Cana, it is probable that Jesus and the disciples arrived late to the wedding only to find that the guests had exhausted the wine supply and had ‘well drunk’ (literally had ‘become drunken’—John 2:10). ‘Have well drunk’ is one word in the Greek (methuo) meaning simply “are drunk” and is translated with this meaning in every other instance where it is used (Matthew 24:49).

…These six waterpots (normally used for washing feet) when full would contain about 150 gallons. [Jesus ordered them filled with water, and turned the water into wine.] This much additional intoxicating wine would certainly be too much for guests who were already drunk, and it is inconceivable that Jesus would provide such. This ‘good wine’ had been miraculously created by the Creator and was brand new, with no time to ferment and become old, intoxicating wine. The Greek word oinos was used for the juice of grapes in general, the same word for both unfermented and fermented wine, with the context determining which. The decay process, utilizing leaven (always in Scripture representing corruption) to convert good fresh wine into old, intoxicating wine, could not have acted in this case because Christ Himself had created the wine in its originally intended form before sin and decay entered the world. In this form, it was certainly the best wine, having all the health-giving, joy-inspiring character it was created to exhibit in the beginning. It was probably the same wine which Christ will provide in ‘that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom’ (Matthew 26:29), and it will certainly not induce drunkenness.” (Dr. Henry M. Morris, The Defenders Bible—notes)

http://christiananswers.net/dictionary/wine.html

We all know that drunkenness is described as sinful in scripture and that fermentation and leaven is symbolic of sin. Before the feast of unleavened bread at the time of the Passover the people of Israel were expected to remove all leaven from their houses as symbolic of removing sin from their bodies. If that is so, then certainly one would want to remove the symbolic sin not only from the bread by having unleavened bread, but also from the wine by having fresh unfermented wine (grape juice).

The Lord's Supper or communion meal that Christians use to remember Christ is the same as the Passover of the Jews. The unleavened bread that we take represents the sinless body of Christ and the unfermented wine (grape juice) that we drink represents His sinless blood that He uses to cleanse us and make us righteous.

The alcoholic wine used by the Roman Catholic Church is another indication of the apostate church and of their refusal to attempt to remove all the sin from their lives to receive the righteousness of Christ.
    and on her forehead a name was written, a mystery, "BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly.

(Revelation 17:5-6 NASB)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 10:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]Can wine as used in the Holy Bible be referring to either fermented or unfermented juice?

The answer is yes as I will demonstrate from the following references:

[quote]The common Hebrew word for wine is yayin, from a root meaning “to boil up,” “to be in a ferment.” Others derive it from a root meaning “to tread out,” and hence the juice of the ...[text shortened]... fresh unfermented wine (grape juice). [/b]

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy![/b]
    So this proves the superiority of Christianity?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 10:191 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So this proves the superiority of Christianity?
    Yes, because it discourages drunkenness and sin of any sort. 😏
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 11:02
    I don't recall Jesus ever going to a strip club, ....
    He wouldn't have eaten bacon either.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 11:204 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He wouldn't have eaten bacon either.
    Correct. He was living under the Old Covenant law which we were unable to keep. Now, His death allowed Him to make a New covenant for us.
    For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit

(Romans 17:3-5 NASB)

And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

(Luke 22:19-20 NASB)
    and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air. A voice came to him, "Get up, Peter, kill and eat!". But Peter said, "By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean." Again a voice came to him a second time, "What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

(Acts 10:11-15 NASB)
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 11:23
    Yes, because it discourages drunkenness and sin of any sort. 😏
    Apparently you have never been to a Muslim country.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 11:36
    Apparently you have never been to a Muslim country.
    I am not referring to Islam, but to Christianity. God has made any religion like Islam obsolete by the body and blood of Christ and the New Covenant of Christianity. 😏

8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 12:46
    I am not referring to Islam, but to Christianity. God has made any religion like Islam obsolete by the body and blood of Christ and the New Covenant of Christianity. 😏

You do realize Islam also highly discourages drinking alcohol and sinning?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 12:531 edit
    You do realize Islam also highly discourages drinking alcohol and sinning?
    But what about their encouragement of blowing themselves up and crashing planes into building to kill the infidels and beheading Christians in order to have 70 virgins in Heaven? I bet that all sounds good to you. Why don't you join them? 😏
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 20:45
    Reading RJHinds' posts encourages drunkenness. Gotta get that GBAway script adapted to the new site.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 20:55
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Reading RJHinds' posts [b]encourages drunkenness. Gotta get that GBAway script adapted to the new site.[/b]
    Hah!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 10:40
    But what about their encouragement of blowing themselves up and crashing planes into building to kill the infidels and beheading Christians in order to have 70 virgins in Heaven? I bet that all sounds good to you. Why don't you join them? 😏
    And of course you equate the actions of the fringe extremists to that of the rank and file Muslims who just want to raise their kids in peace.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 11:01
    Why don't you join the Klu Klux Klan?
  14. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 11:03
    Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism, they all forbid eating bacon.
    Islam and Judaism and Christianity are big animal killers.....................and they are responsible for billions of animals being slaughtered every year. (and they talk of love and kindness)...........their talk is not matched by their deeds.

Hindus do not kill anything because they are receiving their knowledge from the Vedas and know the sanctity of life and they are aware that to kill they will get bad karma.

Sadly the Hindus foolishly worship the demigods.

There is nothing wrong in worshipping the demigods but Hindus foolishly are ignorant of who is the Supreme Personality of Godhead and they worship the demigods because they want some material gains and benefits.............(they unfortunately do not get proper spiritual fulfilment due to spiritual ignorance and they will not return Back To Godhead after death) and they shall take birth again.

Any religion that allows and defends animal slaughter is a BOGUS AND FALSE RELIGION. because it preaches false knowledge.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 12:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Christians are not for or against eating anything!
    Maybe you should have another look at that Bible of yours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree