1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 14:56
    Wise man say, 'knowledge of the Bible come not from memorizing, but from understanding.'
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 15:39
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Wise man say, 'knowledge of the Bible come not from memorizing, but from understanding.'
    Simple
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 15:50
    I totally agree with this.

And I’ve only memorized one Psalm in its entirety and a handful of verses to recall in specific circumstances as “memory verses.”

My recollection of appropriate Scriptural verses or passages, which is not word-for-word, is entirely due to promptings from God’s Holy Spirit indwelling me.

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

(John 14:26)
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 15:51
    BTW, God’s Holy Spirit gives one understanding of the Bible, not one’s carnal mind.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 16:34
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I totally agree with this.

And I’ve only memorized one Psalm in its entirety and a handful of verses to recall in specific circumstances as “memory verses.”

My recollection of appropriate Scriptural verses or passages, which is not word-for-word, is entirely due to promptings from God’s Holy Spirit indwelling me.

“But the Comforter, which is the ...[text shortened]... ngs, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

(John 14:26)
    I by no means know the Bible by heart and often have to google a particular verse that I have some vague recollection of.

That said, due to previous study of the Bible I frequently recall appropriate scripture that will be useful in a particular conversation. (Like yourself, not word for word). Does that mean my own recollections (that certainly match, if not exceed your own) are likewise prompted from God's Holy Spirit?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 16:36
    BTW, God’s Holy Spirit gives one understanding of the Bible, not one’s carnal mind.
    Then how do you account for my understanding of the Bible far exceeding your own?

Chew on that Sherlock...
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 16:49
    Then how do you account for my understanding of the Bible far exceeding your own?

Chew on that Sherlock...
    Like he said... the Holy Spirit. ChristIan's don't own it
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 18:32
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Like he said... the Holy Spirit. ChristIan's don't own it
    Human beings are capable of terrible things. Sometimes I despair at just how terrible. (It troubles me at a truly deep level).

But human beings are also capable of amazing acts of kindness and altruistic love. Often this beautiful side of humanity comes to the surface at a time of shared calamity, say in the aftermath of a disaster when people risk their lives for a stranger and offer genuine outpourings of 'goodness'. - I actually think it a disservice to humanity to relinquish this 'spirit of goodness' and attribute it to the divine.

When humankind is at its best it brings forth a spirit of its own manufacture.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 19:48
    Human beings are capable of terrible things. Sometimes I despair at just how terrible. (It troubles me at a truly deep level).

But human beings are also capable of amazing acts of kindness and altruistic love. Often this beautiful side of humanity comes to the surface at a time of shared calamity, say in the aftermath of a disaster when people ri ...[text shortened]... to the divine.

When humankind is at its best it brings forth a spirit of its own manufacture.
    Well I agree and disagree. Agree with the amazing acts of kindness which ALL people are capable of and this does not escape God's notice.

Disagree that it's a disservice to give God the credit as all righteousness comes from God and God fearing people regardless of what they profess with their mouth.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 20:14
    Well I agree and disagree. Agree with the amazing acts of kindness which ALL people are capable of and this does not escape God's notice.

Disagree that it's a disservice to give God the credit as all righteousness comes from God and God fearing people regardless of what they profess with their mouth.
    My atheism will always be the wedge between us here.

For me, it is like a father looking on with pride at the righteousness of his child. The father may have nurtured and directed that righteousness, but he can't claim it as his own.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 21:36
    My atheism will always be the wedge between us here.

For me, it is like a father looking on with pride at the righteousness of his child. The father may have nurtured and directed that righteousness, but he can't claim it as his own.
    Decent atheists and decent Christians will meet at the appointed time.

God does not claim it really as he rewards all acts of righteousness. It's more like the kids recognizing where they got it from
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 21:58
    Decent atheists and decent Christians will meet at the appointed time.

God does not claim it really as he rewards all acts of righteousness. It's more like the kids recognizing where they got it from
    Touché.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 22:27
    There is no actual separation, just illusion
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 01:13
    I by no means know the Bible by heart and often have to google a particular verse that I have some vague recollection of.

That said, due to previous study of the Bible I frequently recall appropriate scripture that will be useful in a particular conversation. (Like yourself, not word for word). Does that mean my own recollections (that certainly match, if not exceed your own) are likewise prompted from God's Holy Spirit?
    How do you know your recollections match if not exceed my own?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 01:14

Chew on that Sherlock...
    How do you know your understanding of the Bible far exceeds mine?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree