19 Apr '13 00:251 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I have already been productive in a practical sense,
    and hopefully will continue to do so. There is more
    to life than chess and certainly even more to life
    than fairy tale man made organized financial fraud
    which is better known as religion.

Practical help and real hope of problem solving resolution
    is better than the fairy tales you and ot ...[text shortened]... lking about something you know nothing about,
    have no experience of, and have no real proof of.
    The practical help that unbelievers offer does not seem to be working very well is it? Man, just look around you, watch some news about the world state of affairs. It is progressively on a very slippery slope. In fact, the bible calls the unbeliever a "walking dead" in a sense. Real hope is found in Jesus Christ, not a decaying world.
    Eph 2:1-3
    And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
    NKJV
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 01:451 edit
    All of the walls of text here are meaningless.

No one has ever been to hell. No one can describe what it is like.
    All we have is a few pieces of writing by people who think they know
    what hell might be like. But no one actually knows. Not one. No one.

So this whole thread is a lot of rubbish. None of you know what you
    are talking about hood who needs some practicable help?

Why don't you help them instead of talking bollocks?
    All of the walls of text here are meaningless.

You hope the texts are meaningless.

No one has ever been to hell.

Okay. Strictly speaking now, hell is just Hades or the realm of departed souls of those who have died. I speak now not of the vanacular usage but the real meaning.

Hell is Hades is the Old Testament Sheol.

Now concerning no one having gone there I am sure you are mistaken. There is One whose integrity is to millions of us beyond question - Jesus Christ. He says that He has been to that realm -

"Do not fear, I am the First and the Last and the living One; and I became dead, and behold, I am living forever and ever; and I have the keys of death and of Hades [Hell]. "(Rev. 1:17b,18)

Jesus has been into death and come out of it.
    Jesus, before dying, also brought up people from the realm of death and Hades (See Lazarus - John 11:1-57; the widow's son - Luke 7:11-17; the ruler's daughter - Matthew 9:18-34)

Jesus said and convincingly demonstrated that He had authority over death and resurrection -

"I am the resurrection and the life ..." (John 11:25) . And many of us ar convinced that power of His words and deeds is matched by the power of His victory over death and hell (Hades).

"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it away from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it again. This commandment I received from My Father."(John 10:17,18)

This One knows what is in the realm of death and Hades. This One we can listen to as an authority on what happens to johnnylongwoody in the moment he dies. Or me for that matter, or anyone else. Jesus knows. Jesus is not stumbling around in guesswork about what happens to you the moment you die.

No one can describe what it is like.

Jesus and some other places in the Bible have told us what is essential for us to know. Jesus has told us not merely to tickle our curiosity but to warn us toward being reconciled to God in His salvation.

What is essential to know we have been told.

All we have is a few pieces of writing by people who think they know
    what hell might be like. But no one actually knows. Not one. No one.

This is not where I am placing my confidence. I place my confidence that the power of Christ's personality is MATCHED by the power of His demonstration of victory over death. He knows what is beyond the grave.

"I became dead, and behold, I am living forever and ever; and I have the keys of death and of Hades."

So this whole thread is a lot of rubbish. None of you know what you
    are talking about. You don't even know if hell exists let alone what it
    might look like. Why don't you find something more productive to do
    with your time?

Right now this is a very productive thing I do with my time.
    This is not the only service to the Lord I do with my time.

It is appointed to men once to die and after this the judgment.
    This refers to you too. So your wisdom would be to settle down and listen to the words of Christ for your own sake.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 03:12
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Am I right in thinking that the Catholic Church will not permit birth control in some of those third-world countries ?
    I'm not Catholic, so I don't know, but I assume they would counsel against it as it is part of their theology. 'Permit' is a strong word, and if the people wanted it, I don't know how the church could stop it, except maybe by telling them it's not right in the eyes of God, or some such. But like anything else, they'd have to prioritize it... food and basic sustenance must take precedence. We're talking basic subsistence level poverty here.
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 20:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm not Catholic, so I don't [b]know, but I assume they would counsel against it as it is part of their theology. 'Permit' is a strong word, and if the people wanted it, I don't know how the church could stop it, except maybe by telling them it's not right in the eyes of God, or some such. But like anything else, they'd have to prioritize it... food a ...[text shortened]... ic sustenance must take precedence. We're talking basic subsistence level poverty here.[/b]
    The Catholic church, of which I was sadly brought up as a member of,
    is against all forms of birth control.

They are a man made religion just like all religions.
    All they are interested in is their own survival as an
    institution. They don't give a fig about you or anyone
    else. This is clear and evident as abuse cases have
    come to light all over the world where the Catholic
    church has power and influence. They don't care about
    the truth or the people. Consistently they have moved
    priests and covered up abuse and have intimidated
    witnesses and law enforcement officials.

No religion in the world today has any valid answers
    for any problem. Religion is part of the problem and
    has no part in the solution. Anyone who thinks that
    religion has an answer for your problems is deluded.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 03:043 edits
    The Catholic church, of which I was sadly brought up as a member of,
    is against all forms of birth control.

They are a man made religion just like all religions.
    All they are interested in is their own survival as an
    institution. They don't give a fig about you or anyone
    else. This is clear and evident as abuse cases have
    come to light all n the solution. Anyone who thinks that
    religion has an answer for your problems is deluded.
    Because you can point out these things and condemn them so eloquently, does that make you more righteous ?

Is there anyone at all in your past who could also say that they were abused by you ? Think back. Anyone at all ?

You do not have to admit details to us publically here. Just ask yourself before God concerning your own conduct.

Is there anyone in your past who might say you moved to cover up some bad things you did, in your shame?

Can anyone in your past say that they were intimidated by you?

You see in judging others, you condemn yourself. For you who judge have probably done the same things.

You know God is no respector of persons. The Bible says that "the judgment of God is according to truth ..."
    [/b]. You can point out these sins. It doesn't make you innocent. You who judge have done the same things.

So if your are so clear eyed about the wrongs of others, just remember that "the judgment of God is according to truth upon those who practice such things" (Rom. 2:2) . By the standard you judge you also will BE judged.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree