The unhappy 'atheist.'

The unhappy 'atheist.'

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Aug 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
All men and women must decide the issue of an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent Sovereign God's existence for themselves. Choice is yours.
I base my decisions on solid evidence. For me, the evidence for 'an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent Sovereign God' simply isn't there. What other choice could i make than atheism?

In order for a 'choice' to be made, more compelling evidence for God's existence needs to be presented.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Aug 15
2 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I base my decisions on solid evidence. For me, the evidence for 'an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent Sovereign God' simply isn't there. What other choice could i make than atheism?

In order for a 'choice' to be made, more compelling evidence for God's existence needs to be presented.
"I base my decisions on solid evidence..." [The only viable alternative is to accept the authority of a person you trust and respect: God Himself]

Here's an observation that's apropos to our discussion which I've posted here before: “There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way'" -C.S. Lewis / "What other choice could i make than atheism?" ~Ghost of a Duke The answer is so simple it may insult your intelligence: Question your own premises and assumptions to confirm they're ironclad and irrefutable.

F

Moves
26 Aug 15

Here's an observation that's apropos to our discussion which I've posted here before: “There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way'" -C.S. Lewis / "What other choice could i make than atheism?" ~Ghost of a Duke The answer is so simple it may insult your i ...[text shortened]... ligence: Question your own premises and assumptions to confirm they're ironclad and irrefutable.
Are you suggesting that C.S. Lewis believed that people can decide or choose to believe in something even though they simply do not find it credible? Do you yourself believe that people can do this?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Aug 15

Not really, and certainly not for all. Plenty of intelligent people make their choice entirely on the evidence put forth in the Bible.

F

Moves
27 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Not really, and certainly not for all. Plenty of intelligent people make their choice entirely on the evidence put forth in the Bible.
Why do you think that Christians like Grampy Bobby and sonship believe that those who do not find "the evidence put forth in the Bible" to be credible, and therefore do not share their beliefs and cannot "choose" to believe something they simply do not believe, will consequently receive wrathful, vengeful punishment for eternity for their lack of belief at the hands of the same God figure that you profess to believe in?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Why do you think that Christians like Grampy Bobby and sonship believe that those who do not find "the evidence put forth in the Bible" to be credible, and therefore do not share their beliefs and cannot "choose" to believe something they simply do not believe, will consequently receive wrathful, vengeful punishment for eternity for their lack of belief at the hands of the same God figure that you profess to believe in?
I don't know, I'm not a mindreader.

Any testimony I could give on what they think or why they think it would be inadmissible in a court of law as 'hearsay'. And for good reason.

So put away your tap-dancing shoes. If you have something to say, then at least have the courage to come out and say it. And stop involving me in your senseless vendettas.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Aug 15

Which is why i made certain to write 'for me...'

The Ghost anticipated and headed off your reply. (I think, on the chessboard, i'd always be a move or two ahead of you).

F

Moves
27 Aug 15

Any testimony I could give on what they think or why they think it would be inadmissible in a court of law as 'hearsay'. And for good reason.
Why would you need to be a mind reader? Grampy Bobby and sonship ~ who purport to have the same religion as you ~ have each posted many hundreds - maybe thousands - of times on the subject. Do you think their notion of a torturer God makes any moral sense? You'll need to read your own mind in order to answer this.

F

Moves
27 Aug 15

If you have something to say, then at least have the courage to come out and say it.
Do you really think I have not been coming out and saying what I think on these issues over the years?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Aug 15

None of those words are used to describe the God of the Holy Bible. So you have a choice to believe in the God of love that is really described in the Holy Bible.

F

Moves
29 Aug 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
None of those words are used to describe the God of the Holy Bible.
Perhaps Grampy Bobby thinks capitalizing his extra-biblical words or ideas gives them some added heft and makes him an authority of some kind.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps Grampy Bobby thinks capitalizing his extra-biblical words or ideas gives them some added heft and makes him an authority of some kind.
Perhaps. 😏

Cape Town

Moves
29 Aug 15

I actually find that hard to believe. I am yet to meet a single person that did. Every theist I know has other reasons for believing and if they are Christian merely use what is in the Bible to support those beliefs. I don't know of anyone who was atheist, read the Bible and said 'hey, thats some pretty good evidence there, I think it must be true'.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Aug 15
1 edit

So put away your tap-dancing shoes. If you have something to say, then at least have the courage to come out and say it. And stop involving me in your senseless vendettas.
We're on the same page;

some others here are unfortunately still standing
at the edge of a slippery precipice or steep cliff
...........................................................................\
.............................................................................\
...............................................................................\
.................................................................................\
...................................................................................\
.....................................................................................\
.......................................................................................\
.........................................................................................\
...........................................................................................\

by choice.

F

Moves
30 Aug 15

...by choice.
Give us an example from your own life where you have somehow made a choice or decision to believe something despite the fact that you do not believe it because it is not credible to you.