1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 17:00
    Why have i unwittingly allowed myself to be labelled as an atheist?

When my 'atheism' is just a rejection of what somebody else believes. Giving this 'rejection' a name just leads to confusion, with some Christians thinking my 'atheism' is providing an alternative, and so therefore must influence my outlook on life, and might even be a belief system or religion in itself.
    Why should a rejection of something be anything other than a rejection? Why does it need a name? Why am i defined by my non-acceptance of what somebody else believes?
    By going along with the 'atheist' label it could be perceived that i give more importance to my rejection of religion than i do my rejection of ghosts or gremlins. Why is it that the rejection of God delivers me a label, but the rejection of gremlins doesn't?

Am also unhappy about the assumption that as an 'atheist' i must think life has no purpose, which is not at all what i think. (Perhaps i'll save that grumble for another time).
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 17:59
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

When my 'atheism' is just a rejection of what somebody else believes. Giving this 'rejection' a name just leads to confusion, with some Christians thinking my 'atheism' is providing an alternative, and so therefore must influence my outlook on life, and might even be a belief syst ...[text shortened]... no purpose, which is not at all what i think. (Perhaps i'll save that grumble for another time).
    Why does it bother you what people label you?

Whether you care to admit it or not, world views build upon themselves. For example, if you are of the opinion that there is a God, you tend to adopt certain world views such as human life being sacred. Therefore, you will be less apt to adopt other world views such as on euthenasia, abortion, and suicide being unacceptable. in a nut shell, it is the difference in believing that we are merely glorified animals who can be treated as animals whether it be as beasts of burden or slaughtered for the "general good", or believing that human life is sacred as every human life should be seen as equal in the eyes of God.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 18:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why does it bother you what people label you?

Whether you care to admit it or not, world views build upon themselves. For example, if you are of the opinion that there is a God, you tend to adopt certain world views such as human life being sacred. Therefore, you will be less apt to adopt other world views such as on euthenasia, abortion, and suicide bei ...[text shortened]... ieving that human life is sacred as every human life should be seen as equal in the eyes of God.
    Okay, how about if i labelled you as a 'non atheist' rather than a Christian and followed on by saying that it wasn't your Christianity that shaped your outlook on life, but your rejection of atheism. (And by default, that God was just your way of filling the gap left by not believing in atheism?)

And 'atheists' too can believe all human life is 'sacred' even without a God being there to tell them so.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 18:49

When my 'atheism' is just a rejection of what somebody else believes. Giving this 'rejection' a name just leads to confusion, with some Christians thinking my 'atheism' is providing an alternative, and so therefore must influence my outlook on life, and might even be a belief syst ...[text shortened]... no purpose, which is not at all what i think. (Perhaps i'll save that grumble for another time).
    cheer up ghastly one, its not so bad. 😀
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 18:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    cheer up ghastly one, its not so bad. 😀
    Nicely played!
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 19:22
    Okay, how about if i labelled you as a 'non atheist' rather than a Christian and followed on by saying that it wasn't your Christianity that shaped your outlook on life, but your rejection of atheism. (And by default, that God was just your way of filling the gap left by not believing in atheism?)

And 'atheists' too can believe all human life is 'sacred' even without a God being there to tell them so.
    I have no doubt that some Atheist label life sacred, as a matter of fact there would be some
    of them I'd trust over those that claim to be believers.

I think we do life an injustice if we are not careful, the human experience is very complex
    and labels as useful as they are can also serve to be a speedy way to fill in the blanks on
    what makes someone who they are. I hate claiming the denomination I go to for that
    reason, if I say Baptist, or Assembly of God depending on what someone thinks about
    either of those they think they have a real clue what I'm about.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 19:321 edit

At least you can call your atheism what it is, a rejection of God, although in general terms I guess it's more a rejection of all religion.

Most atheists here can't even do that and will argue at some length that they're not 'rejecting' anything. I expect one or more of them to come in here and say exactly that any minute now.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 19:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    At least you can call your atheism what it is, a rejection of God, although in general terms I guess it's more a rejection of all religion.

Most atheists here can't even do that and will argue at some length that they're not 'rejecting' anything. I expect one or more of them to come in here and say exactly that any minute now.
    And who am I to keep a lady waiting... 😛

As I/we keep saying, atheists don't agree on anything as a group other than that we lack a belief in gods.

That one atheist might say/believe/think in terms of rejecting god, doesn't mean it's applicable to all atheists,
    even if it's true for some/that one.

The distinction, you often miss, is that I/we might well reject the idea of your god, and/or gods in general.

But not reject the god itself.

Because that makes no sense, how do you reject something you don't believe is real?

Also, there are plenty of atheists [of which I am clearly not one] who would love there to be a god and an afterlife,
    up-to and including the god of the bible. They just don't [sadly, for them] believe based on what they know think
    that it is true. They want to believe in god/s and the afterlife, but cannot do so without sufficient evidence.

Saying that those atheists 'reject god' makes no sense whatsoever.

In my case, I would reject your god if I discovered it was actually real.
    But seeing as I [correctly] believe it to be a work of fiction, I cannot reject it.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 20:222 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Nicely played!
    I saw a man in Rawalpindi, he was so physically deformed that he was forced to push himself along the ground on his stomach on a kind of board with wheels. The bus conductors on the Suzukis used to drop rupees into his little tin amidst the heat and the dust. To suffer ones life in such circumstances is beyond comprehension. What are people enjoying a meal together to such a man, girls walking past in shimmering summer clothes? Are they not thorns upon a rose? The sound of laughter a crashing cymbal? I resolved then to be happy. What was my sorrow to such a man but some petulant tones of self pity, some ragged beggar at a wedding feast!
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 20:421 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I saw a man in Rawalpindi, he was so physically deformed that he was forced to push himself along the ground on his stomach on a kind of board with wheels. The bus conductors on the Suzukis used to drop rupees into his little tin amidst the heat and the dust. To suffer ones life in such circumstances is beyond comprehension. What are people enjoyin ...[text shortened]... orrow to such a man but some petulant tones of self pity, some ragged beggar at a wedding feast!
    Lest anyone here misinterpret that—

Many years ago, some Christians that I knew went to a Central American country in the throes of brutal repression, with a growing liberation movement that had a certain liberation theology foundation (which is not really at point). The local people where they were, on a certain feast day, threw a fiesta celebration. The (good-willed) Norte Americanos were a bit nonplussed and asked how—given the severe conditions of both poverty and repression—they could celebrate?

The answer? (basically, the content as best recalled): “You guys come down here for a relatively short period to help—and it is appreciated. Then you return to your country. But we live here season on season, year in and year out. If we could not find occasions to celebrate, we would have succumbed long ago.”
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 21:121 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Lest anyone here misinterpret that—

Many years ago, some Christians that I knew went to a Central American country in the throes of brutal repression, with a growing liberation movement that had a certain liberation theology foundation (which is not really at point). The local people where they were, on a certain feast day, threw a fiesta celebration. T ...[text shortened]... n and year out. If we could not find occasions to celebrate, we would have succumbed long ago.”
    yes! 🙂
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 15:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I stand by the term 'rejection,' but should clarify (in my case) that this is better understood as 'not being convinced' that a God or Gods exist. I 'reject' the evidence put forward by others. I didn't stand up one day and proudly declare 'i reject God!" I just out grew the notion of him due to a lack of convincing evidence.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 15:43

OK.

I've been labelled far worse. 😉
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 16:461 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    OK.

I've been labelled far worse. 😉
    Oh come on, how am i meant to argue with you if you are suddenly agreeable?

(*For the chap who gave this post a thumbs down, it was actually a joke).
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 17:03
    Oh come on, how am i meant to argue with you if you are suddenly agreeable?
    Non Atheist is like being called a non walker. Not specific, since there are a million styles of theism, just like a non walker could refer to a guy on a pogo stick or a Segway or a motorcycle or a paraglider.

Btw whodey, just where do you come of being agreeable anyway?🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree