The unhappy 'atheist.'

The unhappy 'atheist.'

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
If you had been born nearly two thousand years ago and saw the miracles Christ performed first hand, would that have been sufficient evidence?
Do you think the "miracles" performed by Benny Hinn are genuine?

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
20 Aug 15

If you had been born nearly two thousand years ago and saw the miracles Christ performed first hand, would that have been sufficient evidence?
Not for me. How could I be certain that some technology or trickery was not at work. Think about the miracles described in the bible. How many of them can we now reproduce in a way the men of those times could not distinguish from the claimed?

Cape Town

Moves
20 Aug 15

Given that I would have had a different way of thinking if brought up in that society, it is better to ask would I believe if I witnessed similar miracles today.
The answer is: probably no.
1. I have seen people do magic tricks that I cannot understand, but I do not think them miracles.
2. I have seen preachers claim to do healing - but in those cases I usually do know how they do it and do not think them miracles.
3. If someone preacher or otherwise was able to do something I didn't understand, it doesn't automatically follow that everything he says is true. In fact there is a pretty good chance it isn't. So if someone can regrow and amputated limb right before my eyes, and he also says there is a colony of Martians living a the North Pole, I might be motivated to try and check the North Pole, but I wouldn't automatically believe the claim.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 Aug 15

What "evidence", may I ask, would suffice?
Well, if you could facilitate a direct audience it would be greatly appreciated.

Moves
20 Aug 15

Yes, if I had been born two thousand years ago, lacking academic education, I'd probably have believed in (or at least wonder about) god, for less than seeing miracles.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Aug 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I'm not sure I'd define Buddhism as a 'religion'. Perhaps it's closer to a 'philosophy'. I'd probably agree that atheism is compatible with Buddhism.

And as to your last question - as a theist, I do not accept that a newborn baby is an atheist, by default or otherwise.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'm not sure I'd define Buddhism as a 'religion'. Perhaps it's closer to a 'philosophy'. I'd probably agree that atheism is compatible with Buddhism.
Buddhism covers a wide range of beliefs and in many cases it could be called a religion. In other cases it is more of a philosophy or even a set of techniques. Similarly Chinese philosophy has been combined with traditional beliefs and morphed into various religions.
Saying 'Buddhism is ... ' is like saying 'Abrahamic religion is ...'. Yes there are some common themes but there is a world of difference between Rustafarianism, Mormonism and Islam.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by twhitehead

Yes there are some common themes but there is a world of difference between Rustafarianism, Mormonism and Islam.
Is a Rustafarian just a Rastafarian who has been out in the rain too long?

😞

D

Moves
20 Aug 15
1 edit

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by C Hess
Yes, if I had been born two thousand years ago, lacking academic education, I'd probably have believed in (or at least wonder about) god, for less than seeing miracles.
Christ's miracles occurred prior to the canon of scripture being closed; since then all absolute truth is revealed in the Word of God itself. You and I along with every other mother's son or daughter either wants to know more about Omniscient God and His plan to reconcile the depraved human race unto Himself or has become self satisfied with their own finite rational capacity and knowledge acquired. In summary, we either already know all there is to be known or are still interested in learning more [in which case some measure of painful unlearning may be required]..

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Piercing insight. It cuts through the verbal fog of labels as the well honed blade of a machete cuts a path through the undergrowth in a jungle. In God's view, human beings are in one of three categories during their lives on earth: a) Those who have not yet reached the age of volitional responsibility [God consciousness]; [i]b) Those who have and have de ...[text shortened]... t decide to believe something they don't believe? If so, can you give an example from your own life?
Did you "decide or choose" to join Red Hot Pawn and subsequently "decide or choose" to post this reply or did somebody else "decide and choose" for you? This same question applies to any and all other decisions you've made in your life. Yes, I do believe we each choose our own eternal destiny.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Aug 15

Originally posted by JerryH
Not for me. How could I be certain that some technology or trickery was not at work. Think about the miracles described in the bible. How many of them can we now reproduce in a way the men of those times could not distinguish from the claimed?
All men and women must decide the issue of an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent Sovereign God's existence for themselves. Choice is yours.

F

Moves
26 Aug 15
1 edit

Did you "decide or choose" to join Red Hot Pawn and subsequently "decide or choose" to post this reply or did somebody else "decide and choose" for you? This same question applies to any and all other decisions you've made in your life. Yes, I do believe we each choose our own eternal destiny.
A serious answer would more interesting, Grampy Bobby. Do you think there is a question mark over whether Red Hot Pawn exists or not ~ or that one can choose to believe it does not exist when one knows it does? Come on, you're being silly in your efforts to dodge this fundamental question: do you sincerely believe that people can just decide to believe something they do not find credible?

F

Moves
26 Aug 15

All men and women must decide the issue of an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent Sovereign God's existence for themselves. Choice is yours.
Can you give an example from your own life where you have made a "choice" to believe something that you do not believe?

F

Moves
26 Aug 15

Yes, I do believe we each choose our own eternal destiny.
You may tell yourself that you are choosing your "eternal destiny" but do you seriously believe that someone can somehow "choose" to believe you are right even if they in fact find your claim about yourself to be totally unbelievable.