1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 11:111 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nothing on that page mentions a disc shape.

And no, astronomers do not think the universe is shaped like a disc
    Terry Pratchett thinks the world is a disc.

(Google Discworld)

πŸ˜‰
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 11:15
    Check out this fascinating site to see what astronomers think is the most detailed map yet of our place in the universe.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/map-galaxy-supercluster-laniakea-milky-way
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 12:27
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Check out this fascinating site to see what astronomers think is the most detailed map yet of our place in the universe.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/map-galaxy-supercluster-laniakea-milky-way
    It's madness trying to come to grips with the various sizes depicted there.

It boggles the mind.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 12:411 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    It's madness trying to come to grips with the various sizes depicted there.

It boggles the mind.
    Actually even distances on planet Earth should boggle the mind. We may 'come to grips' with the distances, but we never really comprehend them fully.
    How long would you estimate it would take you to walk around the equator? (don't look it up first).
    How long would it take to drive to the moon?

I'll admit I have no idea on either question. I will guess about a year for each.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 12:59
    Actually even distances on planet Earth should boggle the mind. We may 'come to grips' with the distances, but we never really comprehend them fully.
    How long would you estimate it would take you to walk around the equator? (don't look it up first).

I'll admit I have no idea on either question. I will guess about a year for each.
    The moon is a nice place to visit but there's no atmosphere, and the drive over there? It's ok once you get past the Van Allen beltway.....
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:07

I'd guess closer to two years for the walk around the earth and less than a year - 6 months - for the drive to the moon.

Calculations to follow.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:13
    The average distance to the moon is 384400 km (wiki). Driving at a steady 120 km/h this takes you about 3200 hours, or 133 days.

Since it isn’t wise to drive for more than 8 hours, you either have to switch seats, or accept that the drive will take 399 days instead.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:20
    Earth has a circumference of about 40000 km. Walking at a steady 5 km/hrs this will take you about 8000 hours, or 333 days. Since it isn’t wise to walk for more than 12 hours a day (I guess), you have to accept that this will take about 666 days (The Devil is behind this!!). Or, you could do the smart thing, and not begin the walk at all πŸ™‚
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:23
    The word 'pancake' isn't on that page either.

[b]The mathematical equations are given in several sites that indicates that the universe is essentially flat, 15 billion light years thick and 200 across. I am only trying to say what I think they said they have discovered.

Then why did you give us a reference to a site that did not include any of thi ...[text shortened]... d depth. What's the fourth dimension?[/b]
    I am not sure if it has a name, or even needs a name.[/b]
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:27
    The word 'pancake' isn't on that page either.

[b]The mathematical equations are given in several sites that indicates that the universe is essentially flat, 15 billion light years thick and 200 across. I am only trying to say what I think they said they have discovered.

Then why did you give us a reference to a site that did not include any of thi ...[text shortened]... d depth. What's the fourth dimension?[/b]
    I am not sure if it has a name, or even needs a name.[/b]
    "I am not sure if it has a name, or even needs a name."

How do you know it exists?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:30
    Why can't you guys stay on topic?

We're supposed to be discussing the shape of the universe. Surely you can come up with some real knowledge about it!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:32
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Earth has a circumference of about 40000 km. Walking at a steady 5 km/hrs this will take you about 8000 hours, or 333 days. Since it isn’t wise to walk for more than 12 hours a day (I guess), you have to accept that this will take about 666 days (The Devil is behind this!!). Or, you could do the smart thing, and not begin the walk at all πŸ™‚
    Let's see, starting the walk in Bermuda....
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:54
    Originally posted by josephw

We're supposed to be discussing the shape of the universe. Surely you can come up with some real knowledge about it!
    It’s your thread, friend. How about you make an effort to blow us away with some awesome insights??
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 13:58

Did you at least take a peek at this site?

This was very much my comment as to "shape of the universe".

Do you have any responses to this, or are you just forging ahead with what you want to say?

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/map-galaxy-supercluster-laniakea-milky-way[/b]
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 14:45

The universe is expanding and the rate of acceleration is increasing. If either the expansion or the rate of increase is not homogeneous, if either (or both) is 'lumpy', then not only the size, but also the shape is presumably changing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree