1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 17:53
    I spent a little time trying to learn about the shape and size of the universe. It's rather complicated. I suppose I could take a month to study it further and try to grasp the astronomical language, but I would prefer to keep it simple.

It looks to me that the universe is about 15 billion light years thick and about 200 billion light years across. Like a pancake.

Can anyone give a simple explanation as to the consensus amongst astronomers about this?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 18:101 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    I spent a little time trying to learn about the shape and size of the universe. It's rather complicated. I suppose I could take a month to study it further and try to grasp the astronomical language, but I would prefer to keep it simple.

It looks to me that the universe is about 15 billion light years thick and about 200 billion light years across. Like a ...[text shortened]... ake.

Can anyone give a simple explanation as to the consensus amongst astronomers about this?
    Where'd you get these dimensions? I always envisioned the universe as a sphere not quite 14 billion lys in radius. I mean since the Big Bang was 13.7 (about that) years ago.

Edit: After consulting Wikipedia, it looks like I'm way off, and the radius of the universe is more like 46 billion lys. Seems like early expansion must've taken place at beyond the speed of light.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 19:10
    Nobody knows how big it is. Your information is most definitely wrong - where did you get it from?
    The visible universe is as Suzianne says, a sphere about 46 billion light years in radius centered on the observer. But that is merely a limitation of light travel and only in indication of the minimum size the universe could be.
    It may not even be of finite size.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 19:15

It looks to me that the universe is about 15 billion light years thick and about 200 billion light years across. Like a ...[text shortened]... ake.

I was on holiday in Cyprus last week and could see this sunspot at sunset with the naked eye. Apparently it's the size of Jupiter and has ejected 6 massive solar flares towards earth. I managed to photograph the sunspot(s) with my bridge camera which has a very long telephoto lens. It was awesome.

Here is a link about it but there is loads on google:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/10/24/358574349/freakish-sunspot-wows-astronomers
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 05:271 edit
    "I spent a little time trying to learn about the shape and size of the universe...."

Why is this in SF?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 05:30
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "I spent a little time trying to learn about the shape and size of the universe...."

Why is this in SF?
    Patience. There will be a punch line.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 07:38
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_universe

Just google 'shape of the universe'. There are lots of sites to read. I'm getting the idea that astronomers think the shape of the universe is as a flat disc as far as they can see. I would like to get some feedback from you all as to the validity of this idea of the universe being in the shape of a disc.

Yes wolfgang, you're right. πŸ˜‰
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 07:49
    I find it difficult if not impossible to picture this. The moment I attempt to view the universe as a disc (much like the pictures of other galaxies), I essentially place myself outside of said universe, which isn’t possible.

Also, when I view the universe as such it has clearly defined boundaries, which I don’t think is the actual truth. Even if you were able to travel at speeds far exceeding the speed of light, you wouldn’t be able to reach a point where you can say: “See his is where the universe stops. Notice that stars approaching the boundary bounce of the wall back into the universe.”

Basically, I think calling the universe disc shaped is a humongous simplification and astronomers know this, but it makes for a nice headline. Actually defining the shape more accurately requires mathematics and physics far out of reach for the common man. Maybe for all mankind.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 08:39
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_universe

Just google 'shape of the universe'. There are lots of sites to read. I'm getting the idea that astronomers think the shape of the universe is as a flat disc as far as they can see. I would like to get some feedback from you all as to the validity of this idea of the universe being in the shape of a disc.

Yes wolfgang, you're right. πŸ˜‰
    Nothing on that page mentions a disc shape.

Further, you seem to be confused about what it being talked about there. They are not talking about the 3 dimensional shape, but rather the 4 dimensional shape, which cannot genuinely be put into 3 dimensions.

And no, astronomers do not think the universe is shaped like a disc.

Sorry to have ruined your punchline.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 09:46

every notable astronomer agrees that the universe is disk shaped due to the effect known as cuthberts spin. which is a mixture of convection, gravity, stringy string and loopy string. a similar effect can be caused by putting a stick of dynamite in an egg then trying to poach it.

cuthberts spin agrees that the univere is 15billion light years thick and 200 across....and has a soft yolky centre.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 10:01
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    every notable astronomer agrees that the universe is disk shaped due to the effect known as cuthberts spin. which is a mixture of convection, gravity, stringy string and loopy string. a similar effect can be caused by putting a stick of dynamite in an egg then trying to poach it.

cuthberts spin agrees that the univere is 15billion light years thick and 200 across....and has a soft yolky centre.
    I think you are just egging us on.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 10:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think you are just egging us on.
    you want the truth?.......you couldnt scramble the truth!!!!!
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 10:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nothing on that page mentions a disc shape.

Further, you seem to be confused about what it being talked about there. They are not talking about the 3 dimensional shape, but rather the 4 dimensional shape, which cannot genuinely be put into 3 dimensions.

And no, astronomers do not think the universe is shaped like a disc.

Sorry to have ruined your punchline.
    That's right. The disc idea was my own, but a pancake is shaped much like a disc.

The mathematical equations are given in several sites that indicates that the universe is essentially flat, 15 billion light years thick and 200 across. I am only trying to say what I think they said they have discovered.

Height, width and depth. What's the fourth dimension?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 10:58
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    you want the truth?.......you couldnt scramble the truth!!!!!
    But can sonhouse swallow the truth?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 11:06
    That's right. The disc idea was my own, but a pancake is shaped much like a disc.
    The word 'pancake' isn't on that page either.

The mathematical equations are given in several sites that indicates that the universe is essentially flat, 15 billion light years thick and 200 across. I am only trying to say what I think they said they have discovered.
    Then why did you give us a reference to a site that did not include any of this?

Can you give us a reference to a site that has that information on?

Height, width and depth. What's the fourth dimension?
    I am not sure if it has a name, or even needs a name.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree