The Whole Bible

The Whole Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 May 12

Have you read the entire Bible cover-to-cover? Please substitute the Qur'an or other foundational religious text as appropriate.

Inasmuch as my tradition is nominally Christian, I set out in my 20s to read the Bible clear through in sequence, completing the task five times over a seven year period.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
29 May 12

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Have you read the entire Bible cover-to-cover? Please substitute the Qur'an or other foundational religious text as appropriate.

Inasmuch as my tradition is nominally Christian, I set out in my 20s to read the Bible clear through in sequence, completing the task five times over a seven year period.
O.T. once and N.T. Twice.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 May 12

Originally posted by RBHILL
O.T. once and N.T. Twice.
That's an improvement over the last time I asked this question of you several years ago. Congratulations! Now, keep going through it again.

j

Moves
29 May 12
1 edit

Yes.

But sometimes the question seems like "Have you breathed once?" Or it is like "Have you drank water once?"

My spirit thirsts for the word of God every day.
I don't think in terms of having "finished" the Bible ever.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 May 12

Originally posted by jaywill
Yes.

But sometimes the question seems like "Have you breathed once?" Or it is like "Have you drank water once?"

My spirit thirsts for the word of God every day.
I don't think in terms of having "finished" the Bible ever.
It the reading method I'm after--all, in sequence. This reading method contrasts sharply with the textual hopscotch that characterizes the "reading" method of most self-professing believers, and who omit large sections. In recent American politics, it seems that the loudest religionists have excised the Sermon on the Mount from their texts. But the Jewish dietary laws are another glaring omission by those who selectively employ a few verses while continuing to enjoy their biscuits and gravy.

No one in Western civilization is finished with the Bible, ever, regardless of whether they have cracked open the covers or not.

j

Moves
29 May 12

It the reading method I'm after--all, in sequence. This reading method contrasts sharply with the textual hopscotch that characterizes the "reading" method of most self-professing believers, and who omit large sections. In recent American politics, it seems that the loudest religionists have excised the Sermon on the Mount from their texts. But the Jewish di ...[text shortened]... inished with the Bible, ever, regardless of whether they have cracked open the covers or not.
Are you enjoying your reading of the Bible ?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 May 12

I have this idiosynchresy with religious books where I used to read them cover to cover (if they seemed interesting and more importantly relevant) when I was 20.( The bible was not one of them. i only manged a couple of hundred pages with that terrible bore-a-thon. ) Whereas now I just read a bit here or a bit there.
The difference being that these religious texts had some sort of authority over my life back when I was 20 and they dont any more. (Incidentally that is one of the core teachings in all "true religion", that you should be the master of your own destiny and no one should have authority over you except those that you let into your life. This can get complicated for some in practice.)

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 May 12

Are you enjoying your reading of the Bible ?
It mostly aggravates me as I compare the teachings of this wise text to the behaviors of those who profess it as truth.

j

Moves
30 May 12
1 edit

It mostly aggravates me as I compare the teachings of this wise text to the behaviors of those who profess it as truth.

Don't become like them. I mean reading the Bible only to collect ammunition for a dispute.

It is an exercise of the heart to come to the Bible with no particular axe to grind, but to touch the Spirit of God. That is to come to the word of God mainly to just receive God Himself.

This is very enlightening, nourishing, and a sheer enjoyment. I recall what Jeremiah uttered -

"Your words were found and I ate them, And Your word became to me the gladness and joy of my heart." (Jer. 15;16)

You know, when we are aggravated by someone, often we end up becomming like that manner of person which we hate. I hope in your reading of the Bible you do not allow yourself to become like those whose handling of the Bible disturbs you so.

Enjoy the rich Word of God.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 12

So are you trying to say that if people read the whole bible then they wouldn't be such a-holes?

I really dont think thats the case at all, in fact I'd go so far as to say I've met more virtous people that haven't read the bible than those that have. I'm sorry to say your simple fix-it approach is dead wrong. Try again.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
30 May 12

Several times

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
30 May 12

It is an exercise of the heart to come to the Bible with no particular axe to grind, but to touch the Spirit of God. That is to come to the word of God mainly to just receive God Himself.
some people might get an axe to grind after reading the bible and discovering the mentally deranged creep of a character in there that professes to be god.

j

Moves
30 May 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
some people might get an axe to grind after reading the bible and discovering the mentally deranged creep of a character in there that professes to be god.
You still have nothing.

We would expect one with nothing inside to write that about Jesus Christ.

j

Moves
30 May 12
2 edits

Originally posted by karoly aczel
So are you trying to say that if people read the whole bible then they wouldn't be such a-holes?

I really dont think thats the case at all, in fact I'd go so far as to say I've met more virtous people that haven't read the bible than those that have. I'm sorry to say your simple fix-it approach is dead wrong. Try again.

The only a-hole here is your opened mouth. Judging from the stench that pours out of your soul.

I really dont think thats the case at all,

So you don't think what YOU said is what YOU don't think is the case.
Flimsy strawman. Knock it down. It should be pretty easy.

in fact I'd go so far as to say I've met more virtous people that haven't read the bible than those that have. I'm sorry to say your simple fix-it approach is dead wrong. Try again.

Virtuous people like you who talk like their sitting at home, or some other hole in the ground. You're in public here potty mouth.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 May 12

It the reading method I'm after--all, in sequence. This reading method contrasts sharply with the textual hopscotch that characterizes the "reading" method of most self-professing believers, and who omit large sections. In recent American politics, it seems that the loudest religionists have excised the Sermon on the Mount from their texts. But the Jewish di ...[text shortened]... inished with the Bible, ever, regardless of whether they have cracked open the covers or not.
After reading the New Testament you should get a different understanding of the Old Testament, if you understood the New correctly. You give me the impression that did not happen with you. You must realize that certain things change as circumstances dictate. Do you realize that? If so, I suggest you reread the Old Testament in light of the New Testament.