1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    30 May '12 18:51
    Theadjackers took over, deflecting the focus from reading strategies back to unsupported dogma.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 May '12 20:30
    Originally posted by jaywill
    There is no intellectual integrity there, only self serving daydreams. He's beneath discussion.
    I think it may be up to you now, unless there is another champion of the faith to come. They have rejected the testimony of KellyJay and myself. May the Holy Spirit be with you. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 May '12 21:23
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Nope. Didn't say that.

Did say that the beliefs of many are rooted in partial and inaccurate readings.
    No you didn't say that. I was just noting that you had a rather simplistic idea that when further simplified, in the post I'm responding to, makes it totally prosaic.

No wonder you guys say "God is works in mysterious ways". Lol. Of course they would be mysterious to those who (seem to ) base their knowledge on book teachings alone.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 May '12 21:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes, that would be a good start, as long as you muster up the will to analyze it honestly by dismissing preconceived prejudices and by taking an open-minded attitude that it could be true. Since the Holy Bible states within its pages that it is built precept upon precept, here a little and there a little, you must not jump to conclusions, if you come across ...[text shortened]... anding. True understanding will not happen in any other way while you are living on this Earth.
    I agree with the righteousness of the bible, it's just that I see the good in everything, every religion, so that JC has his place in my belief system as do others.

I really dont see why christians have a problem with people accepting the bible but accepting other religious books as well. After all the truth is that prolly reality in the past is a mixture of all these things. Mohhamed. Hindus. Christians. Athesits. Philosophers. Dreamers, etc.etc.

It seems to me you guys are always trying to squeeze and condense reality into some sort christian - non christian paradigm where the reality is way more rich and complex than that.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 May '12 21:46
    Theadjackers took over, deflecting the focus from reading strategies back to unsupported dogma.
    Geez you guys are sooks.

So what "reading strategy" do you use when reading the bible? How could I get more out of that so called holy bible which is used by many in place of sleeping pills?

I thought this was about reading the whole bible as opposed to parts of it, but I suppose you could call that a strategy...
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    31 May '12 00:597 edits
    Ah, well. What has changed in your years on here? I have read the entire bible, more than once. I have never read it in canonical sequence (with regard to the so-called “Old Testament”, whose canonical sequence?*), but I tend to come from a more literary-critical perspective. A historical-critical perspective might focus on the developmental clues of historical sequence more—and by historical sequence here,* I mean the dating of the books, not any putative historicism in the narratives themselves, or the canonical sequence (and I would include form-criticism focusing, e.g., on the "J" narrative within the Torah).

* Similarly the books of the NT: neither their canonical sequence nor the putative historical period internal to each book as a literary artifact is necessarily the same as the historical sequence of their writing.

EDIT: Nice to hear your voice again! Hope all is well with you and yours! 🙂
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '12 01:40
    Have you read the entire Bible cover-to-cover? Please substitute the Qur'an or other foundational religious text as appropriate.
    OT & NT cover to cover, quite deliberately, twice - in my mid/late teens and again in my mid-20s. NT on its own, several times. The Qur'an once about 10 years ago.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '12 03:02
    Have you read the entire Bible cover-to-cover? Please substitute the Qur'an or other foundational religious text as appropriate.

Inasmuch as my tradition is nominally Christian, I set out in my 20s to read the Bible clear through in sequence, completing the task five times over a seven year period.
    Yes.....although I skipped through the "begats". 😳
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 03:42
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Ah, well. What has changed in your years on here? I have read the entire bible, more than once. I have never read it in canonical sequence (with regard to the so-called “Old Testament”, whose canonical sequence?*), but I tend to come from a more literary-critical perspective. A historical-critical perspective might focus on the developmental clues of his ...[text shortened]... ___________

EDIT: Nice to hear your voice again! Hope all is well with you and yours! 🙂
    Could you recommend an order to read the books of the Old Testament and the other books in the Catholic Bibles?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 May '12 04:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes.....although I skipped through the "begats". 😳
    No wonder you don't know how old the earth really is. 😛
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 04:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No wonder you don't know how old the earth really is. 😛
    That must of been his big mistake.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 14:041 edit
    I think it may be up to you now, unless there is another champion of the faith to come. They have rejected the testimony of KellyJay and myself. May the Holy Spirit be with you. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!

I'm no "champion of the faith" this week.

I'm argumentative, dogmatic, grumpy, defensive, in the flesh, and insultive. And don't you forget it!

And I have some bones to pick with one Christian by the name of RJHinds anyway.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 16:13
    Originally posted by jaywill

I'm no "champion of the faith" this week.

I'm argumentative, dogmatic, grumpy, defensive, in the flesh, and insultive. And d ...[text shortened]... et it!

And I have some bones to pick with one Christian by the name of RJHinds anyway.
    You have become a disappointment. Perhaps, I should have included some others that usually do not say much, like RBHill, tim88, Rajk999 and Whodey as possible champions of the faith. Or maybe, it will be some yet unknown. I am not a prophet. Who ever it may be I give glory to the Lord.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:55
    You have become a disappointment. Perhaps, I should have included some others that usually do not say much, like RBHill, tim88, Rajk999 and Whodey as possible champions of the faith. Or maybe, it will be some yet unknown. I am not a prophet. Who ever it may be I give glory to the Lord.

Reminds me of a famous intro by Peter Paul and Mary:

Hi, my name is Peter and I'm not a prophet!

Hi, my name is Paul and I'M not a prophet!

Hi, my name is Mary

And I'm not a VIRGIN!🙂
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 03:14

You just cant handle the truth that jaywill doesn't think you're up to par. Merely your ego being "stood up" . Maybe if your went past your initial dissapointment you may realize that jaywill prolly has something good to to tell you as a fellow christian.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree