1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 20:27
    Why do people not believe the word of God is the word of God?

Jesus quotes right from it when he is being tempted by the devil.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 20:45
    Originally posted by RBHILL

You've just produced another tautology.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 23:12

Why don't you go away and learn to think before you run around disrespecting everyone? You think the rest of us haven't wrestled with the demons of our consciousness? Have you? (If you had it it seems to me you would have more understanding for your fellow humans than to post such shallow drivel.)
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 00:26
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Why don't you go away and learn to think before you run around disrespecting everyone? You think the rest of us haven't wrestled with the demons of our consciousness? Have you? (If you had it it seems to me you would have more understanding for your fellow humans than to post such shallow drivel.)
    Be nice. RB is twelve or fourteen years old. Such youth that wish to courageously engage adults in debate should be encouraged.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 00:38
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Be nice. RB is twelve or fourteen years old. Such youth that wish to courageously engage adults in debate should be encouraged.
    And adults such as Wulebgr (theoretically) should act tolerantly and, more importantly, with tact and courtesy. {sigh} if only.....
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:51

Is that the word of God according to the bible-which was written by man? Or the word of God I and others can hear from time to time? Which ,in your opinion,is more relevant-direct experience or second-hand words written 2000 years ago?
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 05:07
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    And adults such as Wulebgr (theoretically) should act tolerantly and, more importantly, with tact and courtesy. {sigh} if only.....
    I might become intolerant if you keep stalking me. Have you apologized yet for the personal attacks and misrepresentations of my statements in the thread that got your tail in a kink?
  8. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 05:37
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I think it is far more intolerant to start a thread that in effect says, "why is everyone but me so stupid?" What kind of response should such a post receive? I can only conclude that such a poster would either be a masochist or someone so supremely out of touch that any response (no matter how insulting) would so fail to register on their nervous system that any resulting brain activity would be a pure accident.
  9. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 06:37
    Rec'd
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 12:33

"Why do people not believe the word of God is the word of God?"

Because if they acknowledge the existence of God then that would make them accountable to Him.

The knowledge of the existence of God is hard wired into every fiber of our being. Denial is natural due to sin. Admission of sin is too difficult for some. Pride is the foundation upon which one builds the system of reasons for denial.

You're not foolin' me. I know you know that God is your creator. You know you were created. Quit believing the lie.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:11
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Why do people not believe the word of God is the word of God?"

Because if they acknowledge the existence of God then that would make them accountable to Him.

The knowledge of the existence of God is hard wired into every fiber of our being. Denial is natural due to sin. Admission of sin is too difficult for some. Pride is the foundation upon w ...[text shortened]... I know you know that God is your creator. You know you were created. Quit believing the lie.[/b]
    It is one thing to believe in a Creator, and quite another to believe that a mishmash of contradictory, culture-bound stories from the Middle East are her single and only reliable communication to humanity.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Why do people not believe the word of God is the word of God?"

The knowledge of the existence of God is hard wired into every fiber of our being. Denial is natural due to sin. Admission of sin is too difficult for some. Pride is the foundation upon w ...[text shortened]... I know you know that God is your creator. You know you were created. Quit believing the lie.[/b]
    Homo sapiens have been around for about 200,000 years. The earliest intentional burials date to around 80,000 to 100,000 years ago. This is the earliest evidence we have for "religious" sentiment among human beings. It could very well be the case, then, that human beings have been implicit atheists for one half of their history. It seems probable that religion is a social adaptation. It is clear that humans are NOT hardwired to believe in god. Religious belief is culturally transmitted to future generations.

The question is whether religious beliefs are an inevitable or necessary social adaptation. I would maintain they are probably inevitable, but not necessary. If the first men had been scientifically literate, religious belief would likely never have arisen. But as mankind's questions predate his ability to answer them, it seems inevitable that religious beliefs would arise among pre-scientific cultures.
  13. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Homo sapiens have been around for about 200,000 years. The earliest intentional burials date to around 80,000 to 100,000 years ago. This is the earliest evidence we have for "religious" sentiment among human beings. It could very well be the case, then, that human beings have been implicit atheists for one half of their history. It seems probable that relig ...[text shortened]... r them, it seems inevitable that religious beliefs would arise among pre-scientific cultures.
    The previous poster already started with the premise that you were a liar. I doubt very seriously he is capable of actually listening to you now. As I pointed out before, a synapse may fire accidentally but never thru any effort on his part. I have to wonder how these posters can be so contemptuous of others and still believe they are worth listening to. He sounds like Satan's best buddy to me.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 16:13
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Homo sapiens have been around for about 200,000 years. The earliest intentional burials date to around 80,000 to 100,000 years ago. This is the earliest evidence we have for "religious" sentiment among human beings. It could very well be the case, then, that human beings have been implicit atheists for one half of their history. It seems probable that relig ...[text shortened]... r them, it seems inevitable that religious beliefs would arise among pre-scientific cultures.
    Although intentional burials are the earliest evidence we have for religion, it does not follow that religion had not existed before it left evidence for archaeologists. Beyond the past few thousand years, all of our evidence is pretty light. Moreover, above ground "burials" are less likely to be preserved.

Aside from this minor quibble, your post is one of the smartest pieces I've read in these forums the past few weeks.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:41

what is your point exactly?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree