The Worldwide Flood

The Worldwide Flood

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
Well, obviously it is said to have covered the earth of that day, which according to the Holy Bible had lower mountains than those today.

The Instructor
Where does it say in the Bible that mountains were lower then than afterwards ?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by sonship
I believe this is referring to what happened at the time of the flood, because it states that a boundary was set that the waters would not return to cover the earth.

You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
The waters were standing above the mountains.
At Your rebuke they fled,
At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away.
The mountains rose; the valleys sank down
To the place which You established for them.
You set a boundary that they may not pass over,
So that they will not return to cover the earth.

(Psalm 104:6-9 NASB)

The Instructor

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 13
3 edits

I believe this is referring to what happened at the time of the flood, because it states that a boundary was set that the waters would not return to cover the earth.

You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
The waters were standing above the mountains.
At Your rebuke they fled,
At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away.
[b]The mountains ro ...[text shortened]... ver,

(Psalm 104:6-9 NASB)

The Instructor
I am well aware of that Psalm. But the rising of the mountains and the sinking of the valleys could ALSO be said to have occured on the Third Day of Genesis 1 -

"And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear; and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, ... etc. " (Gen.1:9,10)

While you apply Psalm 104 to be speaking of lifting of mountains AFTER the flood of Noah, some teachers regard that Psalm as speaking of the reformation and further creation of Genesis chapter 1.

Genesis 1:2 and on says "But the earth was [or became] waste and emptiness, and darkness was on the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God ... ..., Let there be light; and there was light."

G.H. Pember related Psalm 104 to this -

"He established the earth upon its foundations, So that it cannot be moved forever and ever.

You covered it with the deep as with a garment.
(See Genesis 1:2)

The waters stood above the mountains. At your rebuke they fled; At the voice of Your thunder they rushed away - (See Genesis 1:9,10)

The mountains rose, the valleys sank - To the place that You established for them. You set a border that they may not pass over. That they may not turn back to cover the earth."

This Psalm is taken by Pember as a Psalm about the creation and restoration covered in Genesis. Verse 2, after all speaks of God's creation -

"You stretched out the heavens like a tent curtain."

The stretching out of the heavens is spoken of in connection with creation more than the flood of Noah.

Ie. "The burden of the word of Jehovah concerning Israel. Thus declares Jehovah, who stretches forth the heavens and lays the foundation of the earth and forms the spirit of man within him." (Zech. 12:1)

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
The foundation of the earth was lain.
And in Genesis 2:1 God formed the spirit of man within him -

"Jehovah God formed man with the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul." (Gen. 2:7)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Aug 13
2 edits

I am well aware of that Psalm. But the rising of the mountains and the sinking of the valleys could ALSO be said to have occured on the Third Day of Genesis 1 -

[b]"And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear; and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, ... etc. " (Gen.1:9,10)
nto his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul." (Gen. 2:7) [/b][/b]
Let me give you an example from Peter.

For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water.

(2 Peter 3:5-6 NASB)

Now in the above example, we could take what Peter said as applying to only the creation account. However, everyone knows that the last part of that sentence refers to the worldwide flood. That is also true of the second part of that portion of the Psalm. We know this because it states:

You set a boundary that they may not pass over,

This part could not have been talking about when the earth was first covered with water because we see that it was later covered with water again from the flood of Noah's day.

The water prevailed more and more upon the earth, so that all the high mountains everywhere under the heavens were covered. The water prevailed fifteen cubits higher, and the mountains were covered. All flesh that moved on the earth perished, birds and cattle and beasts and every swarming thing that swarms upon the earth, and all mankind; of all that was on the dry land, all in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, died. Thus He blotted out every living thing that was upon the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky, and they were blotted out from the earth; and only Noah was left, together with those that were with him in the ark. The water prevailed upon the earth one hundred and fifty days.

(Genesis 7:19-24 NASB)

God also established His rainbow covenant at that time:

I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth.

(Genesis 9:11 NASB)

This flood certainly could not have been a local flood because we have had many local floods since that time.

The Instructor

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Aug 13
1 edit

God also established His rainbow covenant at that time:

I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth.

This flood certainly could not have been a local flood because we have had many local floods since that time.

There have been many floods. "All flesh" has never again been cut off.

" and all flesh shall never again be cut off "

How do I know that for "all flesh" to be cut off at the time of Noah, it was necessary for the globe as we know it today be encircled with a planetary wide flood ?

In the Tower of Babel incident, all the people were gathered around one place.

"And the whole earth had one language and the same speech. And as they journeyed east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there." (Genesis 11:1,2)

If God had sent a flood to that spot where the world's people were all gathered, would that not be in a sense, a flood of all the world ?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Aug 13
1 edit

[quote] God also established His rainbow covenant at that time:

[b] I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth.

This flood certainly could not have been a local flood because we have had many local floods si ld's people were all gathered, would that not be in a sense, a flood of all the world ?[/b]
You are missing the point. I guess I should never have said anything about the rainbow, for it totally confused you. Haven't you ever heard that water seeks it's own level? Any flood that covers the highest mountains has to be a worldwide flood.

http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=5&filename=Compilations_NextTime_WaterLevel.xml

The Instructor

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Aug 13

Well, after all I am...

The Instructor
According to you....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Aug 13

Originally posted by galveston75
According to you....
I would be glad to let someone else take over if they would instruct in the truth.

The Instructor

P

Moves
17 Aug 13

You are missing the point. I guess I should never have said anything about the rainbow, for it totally confused you. Haven't you ever heard that water seeks it's own level? Any flood that covers the highest mountains has to be a worldwide flood.

http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=5&filename=Compilations_NextTime_WaterLevel.xml

The Instructor
So god is constrained by the laws of physics is he?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Aug 13

Originally posted by Penguin
So god is constrained by the laws of physics is he?
No. The water. Numbnuts!

The Instrucor

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Aug 13

Where does it say how high the mountains were before the flood to know
if they were at different heights before and after?
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Aug 13

Originally posted by KellyJay
Where does it say how high the mountains were before the flood to know
if they were at different heights before and after?
Kelly
It does not say how high the mountains were before the flood. However, it says the water covered all the mountains under the heavens. And in Psalm 104 it says the mountains rose and the valleys sank so that a place was made for the waters and a boundary was extablished so the waters could no longer cover the entire earth. This means the mountains must have been lower before the flood than they are now.

The Instructor

P

Moves
18 Aug 13

No. The water. Numbnuts!

The Instrucor
Ah, so God is unable to influence water. I see. Erm, how did he make it rain for 40 days and forty nights when he is unable to influence water?

--- Penguin.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Aug 13

Well, obviously it is said to have covered the earth of that day, which according to the Holy Bible had lower mountains than those today.

The Instructor
It just goes to show you the bible tale is wrong. End of story. Except for you.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Aug 13

It does not say how high the mountains were before the flood. However, it says the water covered all the mountains under the heavens. And in Psalm 104 it says the mountains rose and the valleys sank so that a place was made for the waters and a boundary was extablished so the waters could no longer cover the entire earth. This means the mountains must have been lower before the flood than they are now.

The Instructor
When tides go out or floodwater recedes things appear to "rise from the water" so perhaps it should not be taken literally?

But of course you have the power to discern the literal passages in the bible!