2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 16:56
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What do you think it is?

1) Their mistreatment of homosexuals
    2) Their anti-Science stances
    3) Their rejection of Allah
    Pretty much the same kind of answer I gave in the other thread, with the details recast to fit the model...
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 17:44
    What do you think it is?
    Priests who molest children.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 17:53
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Q.E.D.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 18:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 18:24
    What do you think it is?

It's not only in christian countries gays are mistreated, it's the same in muslim countries. A certain percentage of people in the entire human race are going to be gay in any given generation so christians and muslims have to get over the idea that a gay can be 'converted' by just following the precepts of whatever religion is involved. It's MUCH deeper than that, on a physiological level and as such will not be 'converted' by religion in the same way as a straight will not be 'converted' by studying witchcraft. Christians and muslim's have to grow up and live with it.
    Of course christians have an anti-science stance, but specific in respect to evolution. I don't think anti-science goes a lot further than that except for certain sects like the Amish and Mennenites. Christians have learned to rationalize all the insults of the past scientifically speaking like science proving the earth is not the center of the universe nor the sun the center, thus showing earth has no special place in the universe so humans have no special place in the universe with the exception we evolved on a planet that allows such, so this astronomy lesson was rationalized out and christianity, unfortunutely in my opinion, survived that onslaught. So grow up and accept 100 years of solid evidence for the existance of evolution and stop grousing about it. Live with it.
    I can reject whomever I please, so what.
    I don't see you listing the subjugation of women in christianity. Although it can be argued women are somewhat better off now than 100 years ago, it hasn't been that long since women have even been allowed to VOTE. So why are they still considered pariah's in science?
    Why has there never been and not likely now, Hillary included, ever to be a woman as US president? Maybe you should look at the recent court case where women are derided at Wal-mart, that is here and now. So why aren't you crying about that?
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 18:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So why aren't you crying about that?
    He bought his Irony Set at Wal-Mart. Cheap at the price...
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 18:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    He bought his Irony Set at Wal-Mart. Cheap at the price...
    Yeah, now we know WHY prices are cheaper there.....
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 18:341 edit
    Yeah, now we know WHY prices are cheaper there.....
    Because it's run by Christians?

4) Their ironic substitution of self-sacrifice for Moloch-worship.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 02:43
    What do you think it is?

Good points, as an agnostic:

1) If God exists then (s)he created gays.

2) If God exists - and loves us - then nature isn't a trap.

3) If there is a God then (s)he's more flexible than we are, and that's going to include forms of appearance.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 02:57
    What do you think it is?

Point one and two I agree with. As Christians we are commanded to walk in love with all men, especially those who are perceived to be our "enemies" or those at odds with us. Also, the church has a long and notorious history of assuming science contradicts the Bible and then attacking science based upon this assumption. An example that comes to mind is the church demanding that the universe revolves around the earth. It was assumed any other teaching was heretical to the Bible when nothing could be further from the truth. Today aspects of evolution also come to mind.

As far as point three I must take issue with. After all, it all comes down to which holy book believe to be the inspired word of God. For Christians it is the Bible. For Muslims it is the Quran. Don't get me wrong, the Muslims also claim the Bible to be inspired by God, however, it has been "corrupted" in their view. They then run to the Quran for "corrections". In other words, they give one holy book authority over the other while not rejecting the other as inspired by God. They may as well throw out the Bible altogether and just read the Quran as most do. I am just glad I do not have to defend the Quran as being God's inspired word with similar reasoning. It can be confusing to say the least.
  12. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 03:03
    So grow up and accept 100 years of solid evidence for the existance of evolution and stop grousing about it. Live with it.
    What exactly is this "solid evidence" you're talking about?

To all others: I'm going to do what Varga suggested and only debate sonhouse. I will ignore all other posts.
  13. CA, USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 03:27
    What do you think it is?

The fact they are compelled to "witness." and insist on knocking on my door at least once a month.
    The pushy, illogical way they go about it.
    The arrogance.
    The people they choose to represent them here on Earth.
    The phony piety.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 03:31
    What do you think it is?

Do you think all Christians are like this? I suppose you have never heard of the Metropolitan Community Churches that explicitly support homosexuality, or Courage International, which while not condoning homosexual activity provides support to those who do not wish to live such a lifestyle. One of my friends, a Catholic religious, works at a Catholic school as a counsellor and has a poster on his noticeboard promoting, "say no to homosexuality."

I'm also frustrated by so many peoples' treatment of fundamentalism as a synecdoche for Christianity. The Church Fathers were in fact proponents of the scientific method, such as St. Augustus, who while espousing natural theology (that God can be understood through natural science and not supernatural revelation) rejected the notion that the universe was necassarily made in six days. And the gospels are highly influenced by Greek philosophy - which is congenial to science. You will find that there are Jesuit programs sponsoring priests in science and maths tertiary education as well.

As for Christians rejection of Allah that really shouldn't come as a surprise. They wouldn't be Christian if it were otherwise. While some Christians are violent toward Muslims, and vice versa, they shoudln't be treated as representatives of all of Christianity.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 03:34
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    As opposed to anyone else molestering children?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree