Do you really want me to?
    Did you not understand the request?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 05:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about the arrogance of secular humanist who create laws to force others to do what they think is "moral"? You see ALL laws involve a moral judgement of some kind. Who says one man's morality is better than anothers?
    No; many laws are simply for the protection of the citizenry because the citizenry want to be protected. These would be laws like those against assault and robbery.

Other laws, like laws against marijuana use or sodomy, are not for the protection of the self but rather for the oppression of others whose acts the majority disapproves of.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 05:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No; many laws are simply for the protection of the citizenry because the citizenry want to be protected. These would be laws like those against assault and robbery.

Other laws, like laws against marijuana use or sodomy, are not for the protection of the self but rather for the oppression of others whose acts the majority disapproves of.
    You mean laws protecting the unborn perhaps? Oh, thats right, they are not citizens yet so they don't count. Sorry. OK, how about kids who want to pray in our public schools?

Why do you stop at mentioning marijuana? Why not cocaine and haroine and sniffing glue? I suppose you would say that marjuana does not hurt anyone as where the other drugs can kill you. However, just because it may not kill you does not mean it does not hurt you. Have you ever met a "dead head". The earlier in life you smoke that stuff the more damage it does to your brain.

You could also outlaw sex outside of marriage. People could be told that they could only have sex with ONE member of the opposite sex with whom they are married. Imagine all of the people who would be spared horrible deaths via AIDS and cervical cancer and such. After all, laws are suppose to protect us from other people harming us, no?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 08:02
    You mean laws protecting the unborn perhaps? Oh, thats right, they are not citizens yet so they don't count. Sorry. OK, how about kids who want to pray in our public schools?

Why do you stop at mentioning marijuana? Why not cocaine and haroine and sniffing glue? I suppose you would say that marjuana does not hurt anyone as where the other drugs can ...[text shortened]... cancer and such. After all, laws are suppose to protect us from other people harming us, no?
    You mean laws protecting the unborn perhaps?

Nope. They do not vote.

OK, how about kids who want to pray in our public schools?

What about them? There's no law against prayer in public schools.

Why do you stop at mentioning marijuana? Why not cocaine and haroine and sniffing glue?

I am in favor of legalising all recreational drug use.

People could be told that they could only have sex with ONE member of the opposite sex with whom they are married. Imagine all of the people who would be spared horrible deaths via AIDS and cervical cancer and such. After all, laws are suppose to protect us from other people harming us, no?

We already have such laws. Not telling a partner that you have AIDS is a crime, and rape is a crime. Individuals have the power to be sexually careful or to take risks, and that's their right; there should be no law against it.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]You mean laws protecting the unborn perhaps?

Nope. They do not vote.

OK, how about kids who want to pray in our public schools?

What about them? There's no law against prayer in public schools.

Why do you stop at mentioning marijuana? Why not cocaine and haroine and sniffing glue?

I am in favor of legalising all r ...[text shortened]... sexually careful or to take risks, and that's their right; there should be no law against it.[/b]
    So there are no laws protecting the unborn because they don't vote? Perhaps I can then go around and shoot illegal aliens then, or can they vote yet? I guess its only a matter of time

As far as praying in public schools it is illegal for a teacher to pray with the kids. What is it really harming if kids want to pray with a teacher in the classroom?

As far as you supporting all recreational drugs I would say that they are harming people within a given society. Please don't give me the song and dance about it not harming anyone else either. People who are adicted are out of control and have a tendency to have higher crime rates as well as having a higher incidence of various traffic citations as well as emotionally harming the family from which they came. What is the difference by outlawing such lifestyles in comparison to lowering the speed limit on the roads to help keep everyone safe?

As far as telling your partner about having AIDS you assume that they know. HPV is another deadly virus that actually kills more women than AIDS due to cervical cancer. Granted, there is a vaccine out there now but it only protects against certain kinds of cervical cancer, however, the problem still exists in that you are deciding by laws what is appropriate behavoir based upon what behavoirs you want legalized regardless as to the risk level to any given society. You also have the issue of reproduction. What about all of the children who suffer due to broken homes that do not have two parents caring for them or two incomes to help support them? The list goes on and on about the suffering caused by society by allowing people to have sex outside of wedlock.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 23:23
    So there are no laws protecting the unborn because they don't vote? Perhaps I can then go around and shoot illegal aliens then, or can they vote yet? I guess its only a matter of time

As far as praying in public schools it is illegal for a teacher to pray with the kids. What is it really harming if kids want to pray with a teacher in the classroom?

A ...[text shortened]... nd on about the suffering caused by society by allowing people to have sex outside of wedlock.
    I am unsure how I feel about your point about the unborn and illegal aliens. I'll get back to it.

With respect to teachers praying with students in classrooms - the teacher and the classroom are agents of the US government (can a classroom be an agent?). If they're praying, they're not teaching, and so aren't doing their job.

People who are adicted are out of control and have a tendency to have higher crime rates as well as having a higher incidence of various traffic citations

So arrest them for traffic citations and crimes. Of course, use of drugs is a crime, so of course drug users will commit more crimes. Did you mean non-drug use crimes?

as well as emotionally harming the family from which they came.

I'll send the police the next time your wife cheats on you or your son becomes an atheist. 🙄. In fact, you are causing me emotional harm right now. To jail with you!

What is the difference by outlawing such lifestyles in comparison to lowering the speed limit on the roads to help keep everyone safe?

The streets are public property.

As far as telling your partner about having AIDS you assume that they know.

What?! This sounds really, really wrong. It sounds like if you got AIDS you would just assume that everyone would know and so you could have sex without telling people. I am sure you don't mean that! Please clarify.

Why should we have to decide what should be legalized? Shouldn't we be more concerned with what we should criminalize? The first position assumes that things should be illegal until made legal, which is silly.

"Society" does not "cause" anything by "allowing" it. People cause things by doing them. Neglectful parents are already criminals.

You seem to want to criminalize anything that you feel makes crimes more likely. Therefore we must ban all knives and guns; criminalize disagreements; etc.

By the way, Prohibition does not help the crime situation. That was shown when we tried to Prohibit alcohol.
  7. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 23:44
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Hilarious. Out of all the groups in the 'worst thing' threads, the Christians are the only ones [b]proud of their negative stereotypes.[/b]
    I don't revel in God's commands, I just follow them.

Leviticus 18:22 (3rd book of the Holy Bible)

'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 00:542 edits
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    I don't revel in God's commands, I just follow them.

Leviticus 18:22 (3rd book of the Holy Bible)

'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."
    Do you follow all of the commands in Leviticus or only those that align with your sense of what is right and what is detestable?

For instance, do you refrain from eating all of the foods that are forbidden in Leviticus?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree