1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:03
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    in that case being a homosexual is not condemned. homosexual sex is. correct?

if they are doing little exercise then they need less calories, so to get fat they are eating more than they need.
    homosexual practice is explicitly condemned, people are not condemned unless they are considered irredeemable.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    homosexual practice is explicitly condemned, people are not condemned unless they are considered irredeemable.
    we are not going to get into the whole semantics thing are we? when you say 'homosexual practice' are you including sex? for the sake of clarity do you think the bible condemns a homosexual who abstains from homosexual sex?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:12
    in that case being a homosexual is not condemned. homosexual sex is. correct?

if they are doing little exercise then they need less calories, so to get fat they are eating more than they need.
    It is not that simple. A person needs to eat a certain variety of foods to get the right nutrients. So besides the fact the person is not getting enough exercise, the person may be eating the wrong types of foods. If the body doesn't get what it needs, it reacts in a way that may make the person eat more. Sometimes, not getting the proper amount of sleep can make a person hungry. The person may even be trying to diet and lose weight, but sometimes the urges from the body to eat something becomes too strong and the person gives in and probably eats the wrong thing anyway.

The Instructor
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:32
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is not that simple. A person needs to eat a certain variety of foods to get the right nutrients. So besides the fact the person is not getting enough exercise, the person may be eating the wrong types of foods. If the body doesn't get what it needs, it reacts in a way that may make the person eat more. Sometimes, not getting the proper amount of sleep ...[text shortened]... too strong and the person gives in and probably eats the wrong thing anyway.

The Instructor
    no, you are over complicating the issue. regardless how strong the urge to eat is or how hungry a person feels and regardless of what type of food a person eats if they consume more calories than they need then they get fat. its easy to keep a rough mental note of how many calories we have consumed per day, so there is no excuse for a christian to be going over.

it seems to me sinning by over eating is one of the easiest sins to avoid, yet the most commonly ignored.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 11:37
    It is not that simple. A person needs to eat a certain variety of foods to get the right nutrients. So besides the fact the person is not getting enough exercise, the person may be eating the wrong types of foods. If the body doesn't get what it needs, it reacts in a way that may make the person eat more. Sometimes, not getting the proper amount of sleep ...[text shortened]... too strong and the person gives in and probably eats the wrong thing anyway.

The Instructor
    I think you are dodging the point.

I have seen numerous Christians in the US who are morbidly obese. They get this way by being gluttonous.

The question is. Why are these people not condemned by Christians, protested against etc in the same way as gay people, people who have abortions etc. God was happy to execute someone for gathering sticks on a Sabbath. Why this tacit acceptance that gluttony is not as serious?

Of course, if all these Christians were skinny, them I expect many would be out there condemning the atheist gluttons.

Smacks of hypocrisy.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 12:13
    "a 2006 study at Purdue found that fundamental Christians are significantly the heaviest of all religious groups, led by Baptists with a 30% obesity rate compared with Jews at 1%, Buddhists and Hindus at 0.7%.

“America is becoming a nation of gluttony and obesity and churches are a feeding ground for this problem,” said Ken Ferraro, the lead researcher of the study. Another study at Northwestern University in 2011 tracked 3,433 men and women for 18 years and also found gluttony and obesity to be a problem, with young adults who attend church or a bible study once a week to be 50% more likely to be obese.

The Pawtucket Heart Health Program discovered a similar finding with people attending church more likely to be 20 percent overweight and have higher cholesterol and blood pressure numbers than non-church members. In yet another study of 2500 clergy in 2001, 76% were overweight or obese compared to 61% of the general population during that year."
    obesity in america - teresa tanoos.

not only is gluttony a sin, but studies show christians are actually worse than non-christians.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 13:16
    Originally posted by divegeester

What about cheating at chess?
    "What can I do if I have a strong suspicion my opponent is cheating?

If you believe your opponent is cheating and you can provide some
    supporting evidence, please raise a 'Fair Play' ticket here. [FAQ]
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 13:18

perhaps but being fat is not condemned, gluttony is. They might simply be consuming the same as someone similar but do little exercise.
    ... or genetic disorder.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 13:27
    I gave you enough information in my post for you to figure that one out. If not, maybe you should read the Holy Bible more often.

The Instructor
    "Do not harass other members of the community. Harassment is any unwanted conduct including insults, jokes and any remarks affecting the dignity of another. Such conduct could relate to gender, race, nationality, sexuality, religion, disability or other similarly sensitive issues." (Forum Guidelines)

RJ, there is no need to tolerate unfounded allegations of wrongful behavior by any member of Red Hot Pawn. (gb)
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 13:30

no, you are over complicating the issue. regardless how strong the urge to eat is or how hungry a person feels and regardless of what type of food a person eats if they consume more calories than they need then they get fat. its easy to keep a rough mental note of how many calories we have consumed per day, so there is no excuse for a christian to be ...[text shortened]... to me sinning by over eating is one of the easiest sins to avoid, yet the most commonly ignored.
    All human beings have areas of weakness and strength.
    Comparisons are both unproductive and odious.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 15:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ... or genetic disorder.
    indeed, its up to those persons who have made the assertion, to prove that being overweight is a direct consequence of gluttony.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 15:51
    we are not going to get into the whole semantics thing are we? when you say 'homosexual practice' are you including sex? for the sake of clarity do you think the bible condemns a homosexual who abstains from homosexual sex?
    it is you who made the distinction, its not a matter of semantics, even you recognise (or your post makes no sense) that there is a difference between asserting that you are a homosexual and engaging in a homosexual practice. Christ made reference to cultivating wrong thoughts which may lead to wrong action, I think that pretty much covers it, dont you?
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 17:55
    it is you who made the distinction, its not a matter of semantics, even you recognise (or your post makes no sense) that there is a difference between asserting that you are a homosexual and engaging in a homosexual practice. Christ made reference to cultivating wrong thoughts which may lead to wrong action, I think that pretty much covers it, dont you?
    it doesnt make it clear if homosexuals are condemned only if they indulge in homosexual sex. warning about thinking a certain way isnt the same as a flat out condemning it.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 17:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    All human beings have areas of weakness and strength.
    Comparisons are both unproductive and odious.
    once again i have no idea what you are on about.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 17:57
    indeed, its up to those persons who have made the assertion, to prove that being overweight is a direct consequence of gluttony.
    its pretty safe to say the overwhelming majority of fat people eat too much. wouldnt you agree?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree