the wrong priority

the wrong priority

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
12 Jul 13

how many christians on here are fat? how many are obese? are christians more or less likely to be fat? isnt greed a sin?

it seems to me that there are many things in western christian culture that come under attack for being against god. homosexuality being the main one that springs to mind.

why do we see such a dramatic reaction to homosexuals from some parts of christianity, especially considering the bible says very little about it, yet its fine for a christian to be fat? abortion is a hot topic because its against a basic commandment.......yet its fine to be greedy, its okay to be fat.

so why is fat okay but homosexuality wrong?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
Because most people (in the West) are overweight and hetero.

Interesting question you raise though, never hear anything about gluttony,
and quite a few preachers seem to have had more than their share of cake!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Jul 13

how many christians on here are fat? how many are obese? are christians more or less likely to be fat? isnt greed a sin?

it seems to me that there are many things in western christian culture that come under attack for being against god. homosexuality being the main one that springs to mind.

why do we see such a dramatic reaction to homosexuals f ...[text shortened]... ...yet its fine to be greedy, its okay to be fat.

6' / 178-181 lbs. 7-09-13 Blood Sugar: 103 (104 a month ago; two months ago 94). Blood Pressure: 96 over 61 (usually 88-98 over 64-69). Feel the best and the most active since my paralysis on Friday, December 10, 2010. Weight dropped from 210 to 149 by Mid-February, 2011, catheterized and unable to feed or bathe myself. Yes, Gluttony's a sin. -Bob

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Jul 13
1 edit

why do we see such a dramatic reaction to homosexuals f ...[text shortened]... ...yet its fine to be greedy, its okay to be fat.

When the bible talks about it, it is harsh in its condemnation.

Edit: but I take the lazy way out and discard the bible as a moral authority, whereas some, like vistesd, have presented compelling cases that they weren't really talking about the same thing as today's Christians.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Jul 13
2 edits

We Christians believe there are many sins and all sins, except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, can be pardoned by a forgiving God by believing and putting our faith in the Savior.

We all have our weaknesses for particular sins, because of the natural urges in mankind, however, we are to attempt to resist these urges and change our ways to do as God commands. But if we fail, we believers have an advocate, who has experienced our everday temptations and will take our place when facing the Judgment of God.

Now, to answer your question - why is fat okay, but homosexuality wrong?

Neither being fat or being a homosexual is said to be wrong in the Holy Bible. The fat person may have become fat because of some medical reason and not necessarily due to greed or gluttony which is sinful. The Holy Bible describes a man lying with another man as with a women as an abomination to God. So we see, it is the acts that are sins.

The Instructor

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Jul 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
We Christians believe there are many sins and all sins, except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, can be pardoned by a forgiving God by believing and putting our faith in the Savior.

We all have our weaknesses for particular sins, because of the natural urges in mankind, however, we are to attempt to resist these urges and change our ways to do as God com ...[text shortened]... th a women as an abomination to God. So we see, it is the acts that are sins.

The Instructor
What about cheating at chess?

rc

Moves
13 Jul 13
1 edit

I have had extensive discussions on this very subject with proper noobster, what the Bible actually condemns is gluttony. Now you can be skinny and gluttonous, the Romans made a practice of eating and drinking gluttonously and then vomiting their food up so as to indulge in more, you can gluttonously consume alcohol and still remain skinny, its a misconception that you need to be fat to be gluttonous. Being fat is not condemned, practising gluttony is.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Jul 13

Its far easier to rail against something your not doing over something
you are!
Kelly

Moves
13 Jul 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I have had extensive discussions on this very subject with proper noobster, what the Bible actually condemns is gluttony. Now you can be skinny and gluttonous, the Romans made a practice of eating and drinking gluttonously and then vomiting their food up so as to indulge in more, you can gluttonously consume alcohol and still remain skinny, its a mi ...[text shortened]... n that you need to be fat to be gluttonous. Being fat is not condemned, practising gluttony is.
isnt being fat the result of gluttony?

rc

Moves
13 Jul 13

isnt being fat the result of gluttony?
it may or may not be.

Moves
13 Jul 13

it may or may not be.
im sure there are some exceptions but on the whole fat people have been consuming more than they need. wouldnt you agree?

rc

Moves
13 Jul 13

im sure there are some exceptions but on the whole fat people have been consuming more than they need. wouldnt you agree?
perhaps but being fat is not condemned, gluttony is. They might simply be consuming the same as someone similar but do little exercise.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Jul 13

Originally posted by divegeester
What about cheating at chess?
I gave you enough information in my post for you to figure that one out. If not, maybe you should read the Holy Bible more often.

The Instructor

Moves
13 Jul 13

perhaps but being fat is not condemned, gluttony is. They might simply be consuming the same as someone similar but do little exercise.
in that case being a homosexual is not condemned. homosexual sex is. correct?

if they are doing little exercise then they need less calories, so to get fat they are eating more than they need.

Moves
13 Jul 13

Originally posted by RJHinds

We all have our weaknesses for particular sins, because of the natural urges in mankind, however, we are to attempt to resist these urges and change our ways to do as God com ...[text shortened]... th a women as an abomination to God. So we see, it is the acts that are sins.

The Instructor
a tiny minority of people are fat because of genuine medical reasons. the overwhelming majority are fat because of greed. america has the worse obesity problem in the world. it also has the most hard-line christians picketing abortion clinics and denouncing homosexuality, why are they not also stood outside your restaurants and supermarkets with placards?